KPPP Dial up - Redhat

This is a discussion on KPPP Dial up - Redhat ; Can one of you advise me as to how to get rid of my root authorization when I use KPPP dial up? I changed the script to " permit " and now I can access it without having to login ...

  1. KPPP Dial up

    Can one of you advise me as to how to get rid of my root authorization
    when I use KPPP dial up? I changed the script to " permit " and now I
    can access it without having to login to it as root. The problem is it
    puts a key in my task bar, allowing continued use of root access for
    what seems to all programs. If I open it, it allows me to discontinue
    root access. But I don't what other users ( I have 2 kids )to leave this
    open. But still give all, the option of connecting to the Internet?
    Thanks in advance for any advise.

  2. Re: KPPP Dial up

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:48:11 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Can one of you advise me as to how to get rid of my root authorization
    > when I use KPPP dial up? I changed the script to " permit " and now I
    > can access it without having to login to it as root.

    You mean /etc/pam.d/kppp?

    > The problem is it
    > puts a key in my task bar, allowing continued use of root access for
    > what seems to all programs. If I open it, it allows me to discontinue
    > root access. But I don't what other users ( I have 2 kids )to leave this
    > open. But still give all, the option of connecting to the Internet?
    > Thanks in advance for any advise.

    How did you set this up? If you use the "Network Configuration"
    (/usr/bin/system-config-network). Check if USERCTL=yes in
    /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-/

    Then use "Network Device Control" (/usr/bin/system-control-network) to
    control it. You won't get the root access keys.

    BTW. This description is based on Fedora Core 2.
    --
    Bas.

  3. Re: KPPP Dial up

    Bas Mevissen wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:48:11 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:
    >

    >>Can one of you advise me as to how to get rid of my root authorization
    >>when I use KPPP dial up? I changed the script to " permit " and now I
    >>can access it without having to login to it as root.

    > You mean /etc/pam.d/kppp?
    >

    >>The problem is it
    >>puts a key in my task bar, allowing continued use of root access for
    >>what seems to all programs. If I open it, it allows me to discontinue
    >>root access. But I don't what other users ( I have 2 kids )to leave this
    >>open. But still give all, the option of connecting to the Internet?
    >>Thanks in advance for any advise.

    > How did you set this up? If you use the "Network Configuration"
    > (/usr/bin/system-config-network). Check if USERCTL=yes in
    > /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-/
    >
    > Then use "Network Device Control" (/usr/bin/system-control-network) to
    > control it. You won't get the root access keys.
    >
    > BTW. This description is based on Fedora Core 2.

    Bas, I did change the script in /etc/pam.d/kppp. Currently my network
    configuration show my dial up inactive, but I'm on line. When I set this
    up I made it to allow anyone to activate or deactivate system. The Kppp
    dial up was still asking for a root password. so I change the kppp
    script to permit.
    Jesse

  4. Re: KPPP Dial up

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:30:51 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Bas, I did change the script in /etc/pam.d/kppp. Currently my network
    > configuration show my dial up inactive, but I'm on line. When I set this
    > up I made it to allow anyone to activate or deactivate system. The Kppp
    > dial up was still asking for a root password. so I change the kppp
    > script to permit.
    > Jesse

    Try revert that change in /etc/pam.d/kppp and to use
    system-control-network for controlling the line. Then it works like any
    other network card. Note that you need to configure the ppp connection
    with system-config-network first. Then you have a proper ifcfg- file.

    --
    Bas.

  5. Re: KPPP Dial up

    In article , Bas Mevissen was seen to type:
    >On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:30:51 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:
    >
    >> Bas, I did change the script in /etc/pam.d/kppp. Currently my network
    >> configuration show my dial up inactive, but I'm on line. When I set this
    >> up I made it to allow anyone to activate or deactivate system. The Kppp
    >> dial up was still asking for a root password. so I change the kppp
    >> script to permit.
    >> Jesse

    >Try revert that change in /etc/pam.d/kppp and to use
    >system-control-network for controlling the line. Then it works like any
    >other network card. Note that you need to configure the ppp connection
    >with system-config-network first. Then you have a proper ifcfg- file.

    My network control suffered the bug that doesn't let me use it ...
    which is why I had to go to kppp. Can I use this method too ? Might
    the problem be the configuration of the network device controller ?

    Thanks

    Bruce

    think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
    If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
    Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
    of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

    (if there were any)

+ Reply to Thread