Re: Why is redhat 9 so unfriendly in text mode? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Why is redhat 9 so unfriendly in text mode? - Redhat ; the emacs manual/tutorial is excellent. BIG but excellent! Nicolae Fieraru wrote: > Hi All, > > I installed recently Redhat 9 and I edited the XF86Config file. Now the > computer doesn't start in graphic mode. I know where I ...

  1. Re: Why is redhat 9 so unfriendly in text mode?

    Nicolae Fieraru wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I installed recently Redhat 9 and I edited the XF86Config file. Now the
    > computer doesn't start in graphic mode. I know where I went wrong and I try
    > to edit the file. I was the most familiar with MC. In the previous
    > installations, I was able to launch it from whatever directory I was in. Now
    > the application is not found. I have no idea how to search for it, because I
    > was using MC to search for files and to edit files.
    > The only editor I can launch is vi, which is awfully unfriendly for me. I am
    > sure I could learn the basic commands in a couple of months...
    > I was reading about pico. Can't launch it...
    > Vile - can't launch it
    > Vi - can't launch it.
    > Emacs - can launch it, but have no idea how to open a file. Tried Alt + F
    > hoping to get to the file open dialog, but nothing happens.
    >
    > I am a DOS and Windows user and I would love to find some friendly program,
    > like "edit", written for humans. Something which Windows users can use
    > straight away. And something which work from the very beginning, not after
    > having to read tons of documentation, or to edit some other files in order
    > to make them to work... (with what???)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nicolae

  2. Re: Why is redhat 9 so unfriendly in text mode?

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:34:42 -0800, Eric wrote:

    > the emacs manual/tutorial is excellent. BIG but excellent!
    >
    > Nicolae Fieraru wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I installed recently Redhat 9 and I edited the XF86Config file. Now the
    >> computer doesn't start in graphic mode. I know where I went wrong and I try
    >> to edit the file. I was the most familiar with MC. In the previous
    >> installations, I was able to launch it from whatever directory I was in. Now
    >> the application is not found. I have no idea how to search for it, because I
    >> was using MC to search for files and to edit files.
    >> The only editor I can launch is vi, which is awfully unfriendly for me. I am
    >> sure I could learn the basic commands in a couple of months...
    >> I was reading about pico. Can't launch it...
    >> Vile - can't launch it
    >> Vi - can't launch it.
    >> Emacs - can launch it, but have no idea how to open a file. Tried Alt + F
    >> hoping to get to the file open dialog, but nothing happens.
    >>
    >> I am a DOS and Windows user and I would love to find some friendly program,
    >> like "edit", written for humans. Something which Windows users can use
    >> straight away. And something which work from the very beginning, not after
    >> having to read tons of documentation, or to edit some other files in order
    >> to make them to work... (with what???)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Nicolae

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/joe-editor/