Dual Boot Question - Redhat

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Question - Redhat ; I has a dual boot setup with RH 9 and Windows 98SE , everything works really good , but I can't access the boot menu for Windows 98 to get to list of boot options. What I want to be ...

  1. Dual Boot Question

    I has a dual boot setup with RH 9 and Windows 98SE , everything works really
    good , but I can't access the boot menu for Windows 98 to get to list of
    boot options.

    What I want to be able to do is to access the Windows safe mode so that I
    can fix problems without having all the drivers loaded.

    I have tried all sorts of combinations of keys , but no go , I just can't
    access the Windows safe mode.

    So does anybody know how to access the Windows safe mode on a dual boot
    system with RH 9 and Windows 98 ?

    Thanks.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: Dual Boot Question

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 02:46:04 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:

    >I has a dual boot setup with RH 9 and Windows 98SE , everything works really
    >good , but I can't access the boot menu for Windows 98 to get to list of
    >boot options.
    >
    >What I want to be able to do is to access the Windows safe mode so that I
    >can fix problems without having all the drivers loaded.
    >
    >I have tried all sorts of combinations of keys , but no go , I just can't
    >access the Windows safe mode.
    >
    >So does anybody know how to access the Windows safe mode on a dual boot
    >system with RH 9 and Windows 98 ?
    >
    >Thanks.

    AFAIK, once you select the Windows boot option from grub (assuming
    you're using grub) Windows is on its own; it should work just like it
    does if Linux isn't there at all. So if you hurry and push F8 the
    instant after you select Windows from the Linux bootloader menu, you
    should get the Windows menu. Works for me....

  3. Re: Dual Boot Question

    "Mark Nagy" wrote in message

    > AFAIK, once you select the Windows boot option from grub (assuming
    > you're using grub) Windows is on its own; it should work just like it
    > does if Linux isn't there at all. So if you hurry and push F8 the
    > instant after you select Windows from the Linux bootloader menu, you
    > should get the Windows menu. Works for me....

    I forgot to mention that I am using Grub.
    Yeah , that's what I though , once you select the Windows boot option ,
    Windows behaves like normal.

    Maybe I am not quick enough in pressing F8 , so it looks like I may have to
    practice to get the timing right.

    Thanks.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  4. Re: Dual Boot Question

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:21:31 +0800, Sandgroper wrote:

    > "Mark Nagy" wrote in message
    >

    >> AFAIK, once you select the Windows boot option from grub (assuming

    > Maybe I am not quick enough in pressing F8 , so it looks like I may have
    > to practice to get the timing right.

    You have to be pretty quick...

    It seems to me that the faster your system, the less time you have before
    it's too late.

    Regards,
    Dave

  5. Re: Dual Boot Question

    "Dave Millen" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.05.19.10.03.40.33698@[127.0.0.1]...

    > You have to be pretty quick...
    >
    > It seems to me that the faster your system, the less time you have before
    > it's too late.

    I have only got a P3 800 Mhz machine , and it still boots up too fast for me
    to hit the F8 key.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: Dual Boot Question

    "Sandgroper" wrote in
    news:40abaae7$0$8805$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.a u:

    > "Dave Millen" wrote in message
    > newsan.2004.05.19.10.03.40.33698@[127.0.0.1]...
    >
    >> You have to be pretty quick...
    >>
    >> It seems to me that the faster your system, the less time you have
    >> before it's too late.

    > I have only got a P3 800 Mhz machine , and it still boots up too fast
    > for me to hit the F8 key.
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

    Run msconfig and, under general and advanced, enable startup menu. Then you
    wan't have to press any keys to access it.

    Len

  7. Re: Dual Boot Question

    "Len" wrote in message

    > Run msconfig and, under general and advanced, enable startup menu. Then

    you
    > wan't have to press any keys to access it.

    Thanks for the reminder , but I will stick to my normal boot setup because I
    don't really need the menu very often , just when I have a problem.

    I eventually got my machine to boot to the Windows menu , I virtually have
    to press the enter key and the F8 key at the same time.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au