I am a newbie to Linux, but have worked with DU 4.0d and OSF 3.2C in
the past.. I am running RH9 on a DELL GX260

My desktop environment is set to GNOME (/etc/sysconfig/desktop). I
need to set up a user that will automatically run a X session on
login.

On the DEC this was achieved by adding the relevant entries to
~/.xsession, however this does not seem to work with RH9 ... When I
log in as this user I get a black screen with unrecognisable icons...

I must be doing something really silly, but am not sure what

If any one has any pointers please can they let me know

Thanks
Maria