Which Vr of Linux? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Which Vr of Linux? - Redhat ; Hi folks, Id appreciate a little help here please. Im really p*ssed off with windows so I'm looking into using linux as a different OS. Im completely new to linux - a total virgin, and would like some help in ...

  1. Which Vr of Linux?

    Hi folks,
    Id appreciate a little help here please. Im really p*ssed off with windows
    so I'm looking
    into using linux as a different OS. Im completely new to linux - a total
    virgin, and would like some
    help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it. My needs are just
    that of a home pc - nothing special although I'd dearly love to still be
    able to play Battlefield 1942 on it. I am competent in Windows, but just not
    well versed in linux.

    Any help please?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kev.

  2. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    Me wrote:
    > and would like some
    > help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it.

    I can only guess that by "vr" you mean version? In this case you'd best
    go with 2.4.26 or even 2.6.5, the latest and greatest.

    Michael

  3. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:44:09 +0100, a posting issued forth from Me...
    > Hi folks,
    > Id appreciate a little help here please. Im really p*ssed off with windows
    > so I'm looking
    > into using linux as a different OS. Im completely new to linux - a total
    > virgin, and would like some
    > help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it. My needs are just
    > that of a home pc - nothing special although I'd dearly love to still be
    > able to play Battlefield 1942 on it. I am competent in Windows, but just not
    > well versed in linux.
    >
    > Any help please?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kev.

    Since you are posting this to linux.redhat.misc, I would assume you are
    expecting a Redhat answer. Unless your hardware is old, the best advice
    is (usually) get the newest 'vr', in this case, Fedora Core 1, although
    if you wait 2 week, you can get FC2 instead. If you are not wedded to
    Redhat (in which case a more general ng would have been preferable), I'd
    suggest going to you nearest BestBuy (or equivalent) and springing for
    the most recent version of SuSE (9.0, IIRC). It will make your
    transition from Windows as easy as possible without crippling you too
    much.

    GL
    Jacob

  4. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    "Michael Hofmann" wrote in message
    > Me wrote:
    > > and would like some
    > > help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it.

    > I can only guess that by "vr" you mean version? In this case you'd best
    > go with 2.4.26 or even 2.6.5, the latest and greatest.

    Yup, Vr = Version. You recommend 2.6.5.?

    Thanks
    Kev

  5. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    news:0394b39a660438af357be1a55f3973ee@news.teranew s.com...
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:44:09 +0100, a posting issued forth from Me...
    > > Hi folks,
    > > Id appreciate a little help here please. Im really p*ssed off with

    windows
    > > so I'm looking
    > > into using linux as a different OS. Im completely new to linux - a total
    > > virgin, and would like some
    > > help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it. My needs are

    just
    > > that of a home pc - nothing special although I'd dearly love to still be
    > > able to play Battlefield 1942 on it. I am competent in Windows, but just

    not
    > > well versed in linux.
    > >
    > > Any help please?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Kev.
    > >

    > Since you are posting this to linux.redhat.misc, I would assume you are
    > expecting a Redhat answer. Unless your hardware is old, the best advice
    > is (usually) get the newest 'vr', in this case, Fedora Core 1, although
    > if you wait 2 week, you can get FC2 instead. If you are not wedded to
    > Redhat (in which case a more general ng would have been preferable), I'd
    > suggest going to you nearest BestBuy (or equivalent) and springing for
    > the most recent version of SuSE (9.0, IIRC). It will make your
    > transition from Windows as easy as possible without crippling you too
    > much.

    Hardware is relatively new. P4 1900, 1GB RAM, 2x120GB IDE drives, CD/DVD
    writer, etc.
    I mentioned Rehat only because thats the only version of linux that I've
    heard of. Now theres more!
    Hmmm....you recommend SuSE. Thanks, I'll research it now

    Kev

  6. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    Me wrote:
    > "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    > news:0394b39a660438af357be1a55f3973ee@news.teranew s.com...
    >
    >>On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:44:09 +0100, a posting issued forth from Me...
    >>
    >>>Hi folks,
    >>>Id appreciate a little help here please. Im really p*ssed off with

    > windows
    >
    >>>so I'm looking
    >>>into using linux as a different OS. Im completely new to linux - a total
    >>>virgin, and would like some
    >>>help in deciding which vr to use and how to install it. My needs are

    > just
    >
    >>>that of a home pc - nothing special although I'd dearly love to still be
    >>>able to play Battlefield 1942 on it. I am competent in Windows, but just

    > not
    >
    >>>well versed in linux.
    >>>
    >>>Any help please?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Kev.
    >>>

    >>Since you are posting this to linux.redhat.misc, I would assume you are
    >>expecting a Redhat answer. Unless your hardware is old, the best advice
    >>is (usually) get the newest 'vr', in this case, Fedora Core 1, although
    >>if you wait 2 week, you can get FC2 instead. If you are not wedded to
    >>Redhat (in which case a more general ng would have been preferable), I'd
    >>suggest going to you nearest BestBuy (or equivalent) and springing for
    >>the most recent version of SuSE (9.0, IIRC). It will make your
    >>transition from Windows as easy as possible without crippling you too
    >>much.
    >>

    > Hardware is relatively new. P4 1900, 1GB RAM, 2x120GB IDE drives, CD/DVD
    > writer, etc.
    > I mentioned Rehat only because thats the only version of linux that I've
    > heard of. Now theres more!
    > Hmmm....you recommend SuSE. Thanks, I'll research it now
    >
    > Kev

    Read also news://linux.redhat.install posting: "Ease of installation"

    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#mirrors

    SuSe, Mandrake 10 and Fedora-Core-1 are great distroes to begin with.

    // moma

  7. Re: Which Vr of Linux?

    "Me" wrote in message

    > Hardware is relatively new. P4 1900, 1GB RAM, 2x120GB IDE drives, CD/DVD
    > writer, etc.
    > I mentioned Rehat only because thats the only version of linux that I've
    > heard of. Now theres more!
    > Hmmm....you recommend SuSE. Thanks, I'll research it now

    There is a whole tribe of Linux distros out there , each one has it's good
    an bad points , here is a link so you can get an idea of what's around , it
    also has a ranking list of what are the most popular distros as well as
    reviews.

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    --
    Sandgroper