everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible? - Redhat

This is a discussion on everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible? - Redhat ; Hello, Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME? I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for root. I understand its risky ...

  1. everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    Hello,
    Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    done?
    Any help will be appriciated,
    Sincerely,
    Rohan

  2. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:06:50 GMT, a posting issued forth from rohan...
    > Hello,
    > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    > done?
    > Any help will be appriciated,
    > Sincerely,
    > Rohan

    This response won't be helpful (I don't think), but I'd be really
    interested to know what scenario would require a root autologin. You do
    know that you shouldn't log in graphically as root anyway, right?
    Anyhow, what is it you need from a root login that can't be achieved by
    either 'su' or 'sudo'?

    Jacob

  3. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    Jacob Heider wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:06:50 GMT, a posting issued forth from rohan...
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    >>I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    >>root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    >>up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    >>done?
    >>Any help will be appriciated,
    >>Sincerely,
    >>Rohan
    >>

    > This response won't be helpful (I don't think), but I'd be really
    > interested to know what scenario would require a root autologin. You do
    > know that you shouldn't log in graphically as root anyway, right?
    > Anyhow, what is it you need from a root login that can't be achieved by
    > either 'su' or 'sudo'?
    >
    > Jacob

    Or some nice pam configuration ...

  4. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    news:f03698419475b1b96d4e89dc428cf085@news.teranew s.com...
    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:06:50 GMT, a posting issued forth from rohan...
    > > Hello,
    > > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or

    GNOME?
    > > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it

    for
    > > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to

    set
    > > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    > > done?
    > > Any help will be appriciated,
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Rohan
    > >

    > This response won't be helpful (I don't think), but I'd be really
    > interested to know what scenario would require a root autologin. You do
    > know that you shouldn't log in graphically as root anyway, right?

    Some linux-based appliances assume physical doors are locked, and bring up
    console admin programs with 'root' privilige.

    How would you use any of the sys admin functions, such as add users, etc.
    via X GUI, if you are not root?

    > Anyhow, what is it you need from a root login that can't be achieved by
    > either 'su' or 'sudo'?

    Would one su startx?

  5. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:44:06 -0700, a posting issued forth from Bob Meyers...

    > "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    > news:f03698419475b1b96d4e89dc428cf085@news.teranew s.com...
    >> On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:06:50 GMT, a posting issued forth from rohan...
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or

    > GNOME?
    >> > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it

    > for
    >> > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to

    > set
    >> > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    >> > done?
    >> > Any help will be appriciated,
    >> > Sincerely,
    >> > Rohan
    >> >

    >> This response won't be helpful (I don't think), but I'd be really
    >> interested to know what scenario would require a root autologin. You do
    >> know that you shouldn't log in graphically as root anyway, right?

    > Some linux-based appliances assume physical doors are locked, and bring up
    > console admin programs with 'root' privilige.
    >
    > How would you use any of the sys admin functions, such as add users, etc.
    > via X GUI, if you are not root?

    su - -c "adduser "

    >> Anyhow, what is it you need from a root login that can't be achieved by
    >> either 'su' or 'sudo'?

    > Would one su startx?

    You could, I certainly wouldn't. Everything I've ever read suggests that
    it is thouroughly inadvisable to run the X-server as root.

    Jacob

  6. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    news:32c24c89a5d2ba7541a6a22b65a8d591@news.teranew s.com...
    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:44:06 -0700, a posting issued forth from Bob

    Meyers...

    > > "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    > > news:f03698419475b1b96d4e89dc428cf085@news.teranew s.com...
    > >> On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:06:50 GMT, a posting issued forth from rohan...

    > > GNOME?

    it
    > > for

    > > set

    this

    > >> This response won't be helpful (I don't think), but I'd be really
    > >> interested to know what scenario would require a root autologin. You do
    > >> know that you shouldn't log in graphically as root anyway, right?

    > > Some linux-based appliances assume physical doors are locked, and bring

    up
    > > console admin programs with 'root' privilige.
    > >
    > > How would you use any of the sys admin functions, such as add users,

    etc.
    > > via X GUI, if you are not root?
    > >

    > su - -c "adduser "

    So, what you are saying is that administrators should never use any of the
    easy, GUI administration tools RedHat has installed as standard? I come from
    the command line school too. But if we are to revail in the battle with
    Windows, we have to make it easy, user-friendly, for authenticated admins to
    do administration. I supply Linux systems in direct competition with the
    Windows Server porponents, like it or not, consumers want GUI
    administration. For the last 20 years I have installed Unix systems - and
    watched commandline or dorky text-based administration on Unix be the
    deciding factor on what the end-user buys. Small businesses can't afford
    full-time, skilled admins, nor can they afford to pay me for frequent
    tedious tasks, such as add/remove users and printers.

    You are certainly correct that using root for non-administration tasks is a
    bad thing. A novice admin could mess up a system in a hurry if they
    routinely login as root in X. I'm not suggesting that. My experience is I
    have to make the end-user/administrator happy. And the GUI for adding users,
    for example, is what admins, specifically small businesses, demand. It don't
    have to be X, it could be an administrative web application. Indeed, a well
    designed web administration program would be better than X, because it is
    easier to prevent in-house admins from breaking something.

    I am currently setting up and training right now a customer with around 50
    users. If I told them to use command line adduser, they would be calling the
    Windows guys.

  7. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:30:14 -0700, a posting issued forth from Bob Meyers...

    > "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    > news:32c24c89a5d2ba7541a6a22b65a8d591@news.teranew s.com...
    >> On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:44:06 -0700, a posting issued forth from Bob

    > Meyers...
    >> >
    >> > "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    >> > news:f03698419475b1b96d4e89dc428cf085@news.teranew s.com...
    >> > GNOME?

    > it
    >> > for

    >> > set

    > this

    >> > Some linux-based appliances assume physical doors are locked, and bring

    > up
    >> > console admin programs with 'root' privilige.
    >> >
    >> > How would you use any of the sys admin functions, such as add users,

    > etc.
    >> > via X GUI, if you are not root?
    >> >

    >> su - -c "adduser "

    > So, what you are saying is that administrators should never use any of the
    > easy, GUI administration tools RedHat has installed as standard? I come from

    No.

    > the command line school too. But if we are to revail in the battle with
    > Windows, we have to make it easy, user-friendly, for authenticated admins to
    > do administration. I supply Linux systems in direct competition with the

    I don't know about you, but when I run redhat-config-* as any non-root
    user, it asks me for my root password. I still don't need to log in as
    root.

    > Windows Server porponents, like it or not, consumers want GUI
    > administration. For the last 20 years I have installed Unix systems - and
    > watched commandline or dorky text-based administration on Unix be the
    > deciding factor on what the end-user buys. Small businesses can't afford
    > full-time, skilled admins, nor can they afford to pay me for frequent
    > tedious tasks, such as add/remove users and printers.
    >
    > You are certainly correct that using root for non-administration tasks is a
    > bad thing. A novice admin could mess up a system in a hurry if they
    > routinely login as root in X. I'm not suggesting that. My experience is I
    > have to make the end-user/administrator happy. And the GUI for adding users,
    > for example, is what admins, specifically small businesses, demand. It don't

    If you run 'redhat-config-users' doesn't it ask you for your password?

    > have to be X, it could be an administrative web application. Indeed, a well
    > designed web administration program would be better than X, because it is
    > easier to prevent in-house admins from breaking something.

    But webmin requires logging in too.

    > I am currently setting up and training right now a customer with around 50
    > users. If I told them to use command line adduser, they would be calling the
    > Windows guys.

    But you're not advising them to log-in to X as root to use the
    configuration utilities, are you? My original question was 'what purpose
    does a root auto-login serve?' I still haven't gotten an answer. It's
    inadvisable, and unnecessary. That's all.

    BTW, I agree that graphical configuration is what will win the desktop
    war. I think Redhat and SuSE (at least) have both made huge strides in
    this respect. But none of this requires a root autologin.

    HAND
    Jacob

  8. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    "Jacob Heider" wrote in message
    news:e696383d8a54b79275f777c36f486a52@news.teranew s.com...
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:30:14 -0700, a posting issued forth from Bob

    Meyers...
    > > So, what you are saying is that administrators should never use any of

    the
    > > easy, GUI administration tools RedHat has installed as standard? I come

    from

    > No.
    >
    > > the command line school too. But if we are to revail in the battle with
    > > Windows, we have to make it easy, user-friendly, for authenticated

    admins to
    > > do administration. I supply Linux systems in direct competition with the

    > I don't know about you, but when I run redhat-config-* as any non-root
    > user, it asks me for my root password. I still don't need to log in as
    > root.

    snip
    > If you run 'redhat-config-users' doesn't it ask you for your password?

    I didn't know a normal user would be enabled to use redhat-config-* after
    supplying root password. If so, you are right, thats a better way.

    Is there a doc somewhere that lists and/or describes all the gui tools, the
    redhat-config-* ? I've never seen one.

    > BTW, I agree that graphical configuration is what will win the desktop
    > war.

    The server war too. The admins I sell to demand easy server config.

  9. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    rohan wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    > done?
    > Any help will be appriciated,
    > Sincerely,
    > Rohan

    Just a thought -- I have never tried this, nor do I advocate it outside
    of a door-locked scenario.

    Create a new user "bob". Add "bob" to the group "root". Autologin as
    "bob".

    you might also try setting "bob"'s UID/GID to 0.

    ARS

  10. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    aspartzNOSPAM@pinenet.com (Andrew Spartz) writes:
    > rohan wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    > > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    > > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    > > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    > > done?
    > > Any help will be appriciated,
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Rohan

    > Just a thought -- I have never tried this, nor do I advocate it outside
    > of a door-locked scenario.
    >
    > Create a new user "bob". Add "bob" to the group "root". Autologin as
    > "bob".
    >
    > you might also try setting "bob"'s UID/GID to 0.

    This is a VERY BAD idea. All the same dangers as logging in as root
    and perhaps more since you may not even realize that you are root. Why
    would you want to give such uninformed advice?

  11. Re: everlasting Autologin..BUT as 'root'.. anyone made it possible?

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 05:03:16 GMT, kosowsky@consult.pretender (Jeffrey
    J. Kosowsky) wrote:

    >aspartzNOSPAM@pinenet.com (Andrew Spartz) writes:
    >> rohan wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Has anyone been able to AutoLogin as root on a redhat 9 using KDE or GNOME?
    >> > I have been able to auto login as any other user, but not able to do it for
    >> > root. I understand its risky and not recommended, all the same i need to set
    >> > up my server to autologin with root access. Anyone know how to get this
    >> > done?
    >> > Any help will be appriciated,
    >> > Sincerely,
    >> > Rohan

    >> Just a thought -- I have never tried this, nor do I advocate it outside
    >> of a door-locked scenario.
    >>
    >> Create a new user "bob". Add "bob" to the group "root". Autologin as
    >> "bob".
    >>
    >> you might also try setting "bob"'s UID/GID to 0.
    >>

    >This is a VERY BAD idea. All the same dangers as logging in as root
    >and perhaps more since you may not even realize that you are root. Why
    >would you want to give such uninformed advice?

    Not to speak for anyone else here, but there was a thread somewhere
    else where someone was testing hardware driver compatibility or some
    such thing by some kind of iterative process that involved repeated
    reboots, on machines that were dedicated to such testing; for this,
    apparently, quick root access on each reboot was useful, and
    presumably if one were doing this one would physically protect the
    machines from unwanted access to the extent one gave a toot.

    The original poster here explained that he already knew this was
    "risky and not recommended," and the point was redundantly made by
    others anyway. All Spartz did was attempt an actual answer to the
    actual question actually asked to begin with.

    Incidentally, by booting with a Knoppix CD, one gains instant root
    access w/o a password. Also, IIRC, at least with some kernel
    versions, there is a parameter, "single" I think it is, that causes
    the system to boot with what amount to root privileges. So it would
    appear that such things have been done, and have their uses, although
    I realize they are risky and not recommended. And I realize they are
    risky and not recommended. And I realize they are risky and not
    recommended....

+ Reply to Thread