urgent: Upgrading memory to 2GB slows things down! - Redhat

This is a discussion on urgent: Upgrading memory to 2GB slows things down! - Redhat ; Hi, I am making a system for a client who does cell modelling and needs 2GB physcial memory. Here's the problem: System works perfectly with 512MB memory. As soon as I upgrade to 2GB, things just crawl.. System has a ...

  1. urgent: Upgrading memory to 2GB slows things down!

    Hi,

    I am making a system for a client who does cell modelling and needs
    2GB physcial memory.

    Here's the problem: System works perfectly with 512MB memory. As soon
    as I upgrade to 2GB, things just crawl..

    System has a intel graphics chipset and shared memory (i.e. system
    uses portion of the main physical memory for graphics purposes).

    When I compile the kernel to support only upto 1GB memory, things are
    fine except I am restricted to 1GB.

    Hopefully one of you has seen this and can suggest any workarounds. I
    would deeply appreciate it.

    thanks

  2. Re: urgent: Upgrading memory to 2GB slows things down!

    On 8 May 2004 09:06:46 -0700, sudur@yahoo.com (sudur2) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am making a system for a client who does cell modelling and needs
    >2GB physcial memory.
    >
    >Here's the problem: System works perfectly with 512MB memory. As soon
    >as I upgrade to 2GB, things just crawl..
    >
    >System has a intel graphics chipset and shared memory (i.e. system
    >uses portion of the main physical memory for graphics purposes).
    >
    >When I compile the kernel to support only upto 1GB memory, things are
    >fine except I am restricted to 1GB.
    >
    >Hopefully one of you has seen this and can suggest any workarounds. I
    >would deeply appreciate it.
    >
    >thanks

    How much cache memory is installed? SOunds like you have enough to
    cache the first gb, but the second is uncached.

    Mike-
    --
    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    --

+ Reply to Thread