installed sendmail but where is it ?? - Redhat

This is a discussion on installed sendmail but where is it ?? - Redhat ; I want to try sendmail as a mailserver. I installed it but where is it after installing ? System settings > server settings > DNS, HTTP but no sendmail ? Rik...

  1. installed sendmail but where is it ??

    I want to try sendmail as a mailserver. I installed it but where is it
    after installing ?
    System settings > server settings > DNS, HTTP but no sendmail ?

    Rik

  2. Re: installed sendmail but where is it ??

    Rick wrote:
    > I want to try sendmail as a mailserver. I installed it but where is it
    > after installing ?
    > System settings > server settings > DNS, HTTP but no sendmail ?
    >
    > Rik

    The binaries are:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    /usr/lib/sendmail

    according to whereis. If that is your question. There is no reason for it
    to be on a menu.

    Now if you are concerned about configuring it, the file
    /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is the place to edit that file. After you have set
    that file up, you run m4 on it to build the sendmail.cf file. You should
    never edit sendmail.cf directly. (Those that are smart enough to do that
    do not post questions on this newsgroup: they answer them.)

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 09:20:00 up 15 days, 10:03, 5 users, load average: 4.10, 4.10, 4.16

  3. Re: installed sendmail but where is it ??

    Tried to run m4 from "run program" but is does not open ...
    Rik

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> I want to try sendmail as a mailserver. I installed it but where is it
    >> after installing ?
    >> System settings > server settings > DNS, HTTP but no sendmail ?
    >>
    >> Rik
    >>

    > The binaries are:
    >
    > /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
    > /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix /usr/lib/sendmail
    >
    > according to whereis. If that is your question. There is no reason for
    > it to be on a menu.
    >
    > Now if you are concerned about configuring it, the file
    > /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is the place to edit that file. After you have set
    > that file up, you run m4 on it to build the sendmail.cf file. You should
    > never edit sendmail.cf directly. (Those that are smart enough to do that
    > do not post questions on this newsgroup: they answer them.)

  4. Re: installed sendmail but where is it ??

    Rick wrote:
    > Tried to run m4 from "run program" but is does not open ...
    > Rik
    >
    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to try sendmail as a mailserver. I installed it but where is
    >>> it after installing ?
    >>> System settings > server settings > DNS, HTTP but no sendmail ?
    >>>
    >>> Rik
    >>>

    >> The binaries are:
    >>
    >> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
    >> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix /usr/lib/sendmail
    >>
    >> according to whereis. If that is your question. There is no reason for
    >> it to be on a menu.
    >>
    >> Now if you are concerned about configuring it, the file
    >> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is the place to edit that file. After you have
    >> set that file up, you run m4 on it to build the sendmail.cf file. You
    >> should never edit sendmail.cf directly. (Those that are smart enough
    >> to do that do not post questions on this newsgroup: they answer them.)

    You should just have to run "make" in the /etc/mail directory (as root).

    (It is better not to top-post.)

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 11:55:00 up 15 days, 12:38, 5 users, load average: 1.20, 1.14, 1.15

  5. Re: installed sendmail but where is it ??

    Rick wrote:

    > Tried to run m4 from "run program" but is does not open ...

    m4 is a macro processor used to compile the sendmail.mc file. It has no
    GUI that you could "open". See the Sendmail documentation at
    http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html for the configuration options.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi