Grub boot problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Grub boot problem - Redhat ; Lenerd and the rest, That tried to help me thanks. A complete reinstall worked. But it now calls it hdc3. Go figure? I now have two systems with the same hd and the same partions and both with windows on ...

  1. Grub boot problem

    Lenerd and the rest,
    That tried to help me thanks. A complete reinstall worked. But it now
    calls it hdc3. Go figure? I now have two systems with the same hd and
    the same partions and both with windows on them. One is hda5 and the
    other hdc3? A home system any way. The only differences were a Intel
    mortherboard and a TYAN motherboard in the upgrade to fedora.
    Once again thanks for your advise, I'm already missing things I forgot
    to backup. My fault.

    Jesse

  2. Re: Grub boot problem

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:00:09 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Lenerd and the rest,
    > That tried to help me thanks. A complete reinstall worked. But it now
    > calls it hdc3. Go figure? I now have two systems with the same hd and
    > the same partions and both with windows on them. One is hda5 and the
    > other hdc3? A home system any way. The only differences were a Intel
    > mortherboard and a TYAN motherboard in the upgrade to fedora.

    Sounds like on one system the hard drive is on the primary IDE channel and
    on the other system the hard drive is on the secondary IDE controller.
    Linux is very specific on where the IDE drives are;

    hda = Master device on the primary IDE interface, hdb = Slave device on
    the primary IDE interface, hdc = Master device on the secondary IDE
    interface, hdd = Slave device on the secondary IDE interface, hde = Master
    device on the third IDE interface, hdf = Slave device on the third IDE
    interface and so on....

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

+ Reply to Thread