RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts - Redhat ; I have a problem when trying to create new user accounts on my system using the command line. When I go to add a user and create a user account using the command adduser I get the error message : ...

  1. RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    I have a problem when trying to create new user accounts on my system
    using the command line.

    When I go to add a user and create a user account using the command adduser
    < username> I get the error message :
    "unable to lock file"

    I am stuffed if I know why I can't add more users to my system , I haven't
    played around with any of the config files to create user accounts.
    I can however create new users through the Gnome utility , but I just can't
    add new users with the command line utility adduser

    I even have tried useradd < username> but that doesn't work either.

    So does anybody know why I can't create new user accounts and how to fix it
    ?

    Thanks

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > I have a problem when trying to create new user accounts on my system
    > using the command line.
    >
    > When I go to add a user and create a user account using the command adduser
    > < username> I get the error message :
    > "unable to lock file"
    >
    > I am stuffed if I know why I can't add more users to my system , I haven't
    > played around with any of the config files to create user accounts.
    > I can however create new users through the Gnome utility , but I just can't
    > add new users with the command line utility adduser
    >
    > I even have tried useradd < username> but that doesn't work either.
    >
    > So does anybody know why I can't create new user accounts and how to fix it
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

    Your error message is probably:
    > "unable to lock password or group file"

    AFAIK, Only 'root' user can add new users and groups.

    Try this:

    Become root user
    $ su root

    # useradd ......
    # exit
    $

    ------------
    Your graphical GNOME tool has certainly a SETUID or SETGID bit set,
    => so it can run with 'root's privileges.

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org

  3. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > I have a problem when trying to create new user accounts on my system
    > using the command line.
    >
    > When I go to add a user and create a user account using the command adduser
    > < username> I get the error message :
    > "unable to lock file"
    >
    > I am stuffed if I know why I can't add more users to my system , I haven't
    > played around with any of the config files to create user accounts.
    > I can however create new users through the Gnome utility , but I just can't
    > add new users with the command line utility adduser
    >
    > I even have tried useradd < username> but that doesn't work either.
    >
    > So does anybody know why I can't create new user accounts and how to fix it
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

    Your error message is probably:
    > "unable to lock password or group file"

    AFAIK, Only 'root' user can add new users and groups.

    Try this:

    Become root user
    $ su root

    # useradd ......
    # exit
    $

    ------------
    Your graphical GNOME tool has certainly a SETUID or SETGID bit set,
    => so it can run with 'root's privileges.

    ------------
    Most likely also 'sudo' users can add new users, groups.
    $ sudo useradd ....

    But it requires settings in /etc/sudoers file.
    For more info about this.
    $ man sudo

    $ man adduser

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org

  4. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    "moma" wrote in message
    > Sandgroper wrote:

    > Your error message is probably:
    > > "unable to lock password or group file"

    > AFAIK, Only 'root' user can add new users and groups.
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > Become root user
    > $ su root
    >
    > # useradd ......
    > # exit
    > $

    Thanks , I will try it.
    I was actually logged in as root user when I was trying to make new user
    accounts.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > "moma" wrote in message
    >
    >>Sandgroper wrote:

    >>Your error message is probably:
    >> > "unable to lock password or group file"

    >>AFAIK, Only 'root' user can add new users and groups.
    >>
    >>Try this:
    >>
    >>Become root user
    >>$ su root
    >>
    >># useradd ......
    >># exit
    >>$
    >>

    > Thanks , I will try it.
    > I was actually logged in as root user when I was trying to make new user
    > accounts.
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

    Re-hello,

    Ref. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../193037-1.html

    It talks about /etc/.pwd.lck

    // moma

  6. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > "moma" wrote in message
    >
    >>Sandgroper wrote:

    >>Your error message is probably:
    >> > "unable to lock password or group file"

    >>AFAIK, Only 'root' user can add new users and groups.
    >>
    >>Try this:
    >>
    >>Become root user
    >>$ su root
    >>
    >># useradd ......
    >># exit
    >>$
    >>

    > Thanks , I will try it.
    > I was actually logged in as root user when I was trying to make new user
    > accounts.
    >

    > --
    > Sandgroper
    > ----------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

    Re-hello,

    Ref. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../193037-1.html

    It talks about /etc/.pwd.lck

    Check also that there is no /etc/ptmp file.

    // moma

  7. Re: RH 9 - Problem Creating New User Accounts

    "moma" wrote in message

    > Re-hello,
    >
    > Ref. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../193037-1.html
    >
    > It talks about /etc/.pwd.lck
    >
    > Check also that there is no /etc/ptmp file.
    >
    > // moma

    Thanks for the URL .
    I have hopefully solved the problem , in /etc I found quite a few files
    listed as :
    shadow.lock
    gshadow.lock
    passwd.lock
    group.lock.
    I renamed these file to *.old and I can now add new users.

    I will check for the /etc/.pwd.lck file to see it is also there as well as
    the /etc/ptmp file.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email