RH9 - default mozilla profile when creating new users - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH9 - default mozilla profile when creating new users - Redhat ; This is probably an FAQ but I cannot find the answer on the web. When creating new users, the home dir is setup using the contents of /etc/skel. I want to place a .mozilla directory within this, so that when ...

  1. RH9 - default mozilla profile when creating new users

    This is probably an FAQ but I cannot find the answer on the web.
    When creating new users, the home dir is setup using the contents of
    /etc/skel. I want to place a .mozilla directory within this, so that
    when a new user is created, mozilla is enabled with a default setup
    (proxy servers, cache, etc).

    The .mozilla directory is copied over to /home/newuser when a newuser
    is created, but the contained profile is inaccessible. I believe this
    has to do with the path stored in the appreg file, which is not maintainable.

    So my question is, how do I setup a predefined profile for Mozilla?

    TIA
    Trog
    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  2. Re: RH9 - default mozilla profile when creating new users

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway martin.woolley@misys.com typed:
    > This is probably an FAQ but I cannot find the answer on the web.
    > When creating new users, the home dir is setup using the contents of
    > /etc/skel. I want to place a .mozilla directory within this, so that
    > when a new user is created, mozilla is enabled with a default setup
    > (proxy servers, cache, etc).
    >
    > The .mozilla directory is copied over to /home/newuser when a newuser
    > is created, but the contained profile is inaccessible. I believe this
    > has to do with the path stored in the appreg file, which is not maintainable.
    >
    > So my question is, how do I setup a predefined profile for Mozilla?

    Since no-one seems to know (or care) I'll tell you what I've found out.
    Either setup the preferences in the all.js file which lives in the
    mozilla or firefox directory (~defaults/prefs). This is probably the
    the authors preferred method, but I did encounter a problem doing this
    whereby the browser would fire-up fine the first time, but on
    subsequent invocations, it would die (no error message) and give a
    return code of 1. As an aside, if anyone knows where mozilla logs
    error messages then do tell. Or indeed it anyone knows why this
    failure is so.

    What worked for me, was to logto an account, run mozilla and setup
    the preferences as I want. Next copy the .mozilla (or .phoenix)
    directory from the accounts home to /etc/skel. Next rm the appreg
    file from the copied directory (/etc/skel/.mozilla). Finally chuck
    a not very clever bit of sed into .bashrc to ensure the home dir is
    setup correctly in the various users .mozilla directory.