Lost GRUB, can't boot dual OS system - Redhat

This is a discussion on Lost GRUB, can't boot dual OS system - Redhat ; I posted recently re the above and have had no solutions. I had win98se and RHL9 on my system and used GRUB as the bootloader. I had to re-load Win so lost GRUB and the facility to boot RHL9. Is ...

  1. Lost GRUB, can't boot dual OS system

    I posted recently re the above and have had no solutions. I had win98se and
    RHL9 on my system and used GRUB as the bootloader. I had to re-load Win so
    lost GRUB and the facility to boot RHL9. Is there an easy way to restore my
    bootloader without re-loading RHL? I have no rescue disc for RHL only the
    original CD's.

    I am a newbie so would want any instructions in plain English please. Hope
    someone can help.

  2. Re: Lost GRUB, can't boot dual OS system

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:32:40 +0100, "John M Carter"
    wrote:

    >I posted recently re the above and have had no solutions. I had win98se and
    >RHL9 on my system and used GRUB as the bootloader. I had to re-load Win so
    >lost GRUB and the facility to boot RHL9. Is there an easy way to restore my
    >bootloader without re-loading RHL? I have no rescue disc for RHL only the
    >original CD's.
    >
    >I am a newbie so would want any instructions in plain English please. Hope
    >someone can help.

    For both Fedora Core 1 and RH7.3 - RH9 is probably the same way - the
    first installation disk _is_ a rescue disk; you just select that
    option from its boot menu.

  3. Re: Lost GRUB, can't boot dual OS system

    > >I posted recently re the above and have had no solutions. I had win98se
    and
    > >RHL9 on my system and used GRUB as the bootloader. I had to re-load Win

    so
    > >lost GRUB and the facility to boot RHL9. Is there an easy way to restore

    my
    > >bootloader without re-loading RHL? I have no rescue disc for RHL only the
    > >original CD's.

    I had exactly the same problem. I think that what happens is that when
    Windoze installs it overwrites your master boot record thereby f**king up
    grub.

    > >I am a newbie so would want any instructions in plain English please.

    Hope
    > >someone can help.

    > For both Fedora Core 1 and RH7.3 - RH9 is probably the same way - the
    > first installation disk _is_ a rescue disk; you just select that
    > option from its boot menu.

    Yes and once you've logged in you can fire up grub, I seem to remember it
    has it's own shell (like ftp etc), and once you get into the grub shell you
    can get it going again. I can't remember how but the docs
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/ , which worked for me ;-), are
    pretty easy to understand.

    Hating to sound like a fan of Bill *cof cof* but I would be surprised if you
    can't install a boot manager type thing via the Windoze side of yer machine.
    Grub is easy enuff to fix though........

+ Reply to Thread