Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2 - Redhat ; We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt without installing "Everything". Now, ...

  1. Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)

    * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
    * http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *

  2. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:00:10 +0000, John Oliver wrote:

    > We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    > version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    > in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    > without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    > various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    > thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    > another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    > But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    > /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)

    Here is what I did. Took about 30 seconds.

    1) Visited http://www.redhat.com
    2) In the search box, typed "mirror"
    3) Took a couple of tries to find a mirror with 7.2 RPMS
    4) Went to the RPMS subdirectory.
    5) Typed CTRL-F into the browser. Typed "libstd++".
    6) Got this link:

    ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS...96-98.i386.rpm

    Have fun with it!

  3. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:28:54 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:00:10 +0000, John Oliver wrote:
    >
    >> We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    >> version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    >> in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    >> without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    >> various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    >> thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    >> another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    >> But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    >> /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)

    > Here is what I did. Took about 30 seconds.
    >
    > 1) Visited http://www.redhat.com
    > 2) In the search box, typed "mirror"
    > 3) Took a couple of tries to find a mirror with 7.2 RPMS
    > 4) Went to the RPMS subdirectory.
    > 5) Typed CTRL-F into the browser. Typed "libstd++".
    > 6) Got this link:
    >
    > ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS...96-98.i386.rpm
    >
    > Have fun with it!

    [root@timdl2 root]# rpm -qa | grep libstdc++
    compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.16
    libstdc++-devel-2.96-98
    libstdc++-2.96-98
    libstdc++3-3.0.1-3
    [root@timdl2 root]# find / -name libstdc++*
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/libstdc++.a
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/libstdc++.so
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8.0
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9.dummy
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.a
    /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.a.3
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3.0.1
    /usr/share/doc/libstdc++-devel-2.96

    Anyone with a useful suggestion?

    * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
    * http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *

  4. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    Yet another wasted multipost.

    "John Oliver" wrote in message
    news:slrnc92k5m.2ln.joliver@ns.sdsitehosting.net.. .
    > We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    > version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    > in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    > without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    > various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    > thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    > another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    > But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    > /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)
    >
    > --
    > * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ *
    > * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
    > * http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *

  5. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    In article ,
    John Oliver wrote:
    :We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    :version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    :in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    :without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    :various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    :thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    :another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    :But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    :/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)

    I presume "libcstdc++" is a typo. On my Fedora Core 1 system,
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 is provided by libstdc++-3.3.2-1.i386.rpm, but
    you won't find any libstdc++-3.3 in the Red Hat 7.2 distribution. It
    must have been installed from another source at the time the software
    needing it was installed.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT interaccess.com I am "rnichols"

  6. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    John Oliver wrote:

    > We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    > version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    > in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    > without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    > various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The

    You need to install even older libs that last came with redhat6

    -- Rex

  7. Re: Old libc stuff and Red Hat 7.2

    > We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine that's used for testing. Changing the
    > version is not an option... corporate politics. One of the applications
    > in question used to install fine, but then the machine was rebuilt
    > without installing "Everything". Now, the install bombs out looking for
    > various .so.5 libraries. Like, right now, it wants libcstdc++.so.5 The
    > thing is, compat-libcstdc++ *is* installed. So, it appears that there's
    > another package somewhere that contains some of these old libraries.
    > But, which one? I do *not* want to have to rpm -Uvh
    > /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* :-)

    you most likely want the devel version of that RPM too

+ Reply to Thread