Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server - Redhat ; I have Redhat linux 9. After changing the host name via the command "hostname", every GUI application I try to execute brings the following message: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified (gedit:6582): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot ...

  1. Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    I have Redhat linux 9.
    After changing the host name via the command "hostname", every GUI
    application I try to execute brings the following message:

    Xlib: No protocol specified

    (gedit:6582): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    Only rebooting solves this.

    What exactly is the problem?
    How do I fix it?

  2. Re: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    yonatan@il.nlayers.com (Jonathan Taub) writes:
    >I have Redhat linux 9.
    >After changing the host name via the command "hostname", every GUI
    >application I try to execute brings the following message:
    >
    >Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    >Xlib: No protocol specified
    >

    >(gedit:6582): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >

    >Only rebooting solves this.
    >
    >What exactly is the problem?

    You changed the host name.

    >How do I fix it?

    Reboot.

    scott

  3. Re: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    I stated in my posting that only reboot solves this.
    But, is this a must?
    Is there no other way?

    > >How do I fix it?

    > Reboot.
    >
    > scott

  4. Re: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    And Jonathan Taub said...

    > I stated in my posting that only reboot solves this. But, is this a must?
    > Is there no other way?

    You just need to restart the X server. So logout, or hit
    ctrl+alt+backspace

    --
    Nils Olav SelÄsdal
    System Developer, UtelSystems a/s