Can't get update from RH - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't get update from RH - Redhat ; For four days I've been trying to download what appears to be three important updates to RH9, having to do with the kernel. For four days I've been getting the error msg "Demo service for server 1003318047 limited due to ...

  1. Can't get update from RH

    For four days I've been trying to download what appears to be three
    important updates to RH9, having to do with the kernel. For four days
    I've been getting the error msg "Demo service for server 1003318047
    limited due to high load... Demo service currently disabled due to
    high load." There follows a generic URL, which doesn't tell me much.

    Is it better to try to update late at night? Or just wait a few more
    days? (Hopefully it won't be turned off at the end of the month...)
    Or is there a way to tell it to use a different server/ mirror (and
    which one would you recommend)?

    Mike Maxwell

  2. Re: Can't get update from RH

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:03:12 -0700, Mike Maxwell wrote:

    > For four days I've been trying to download what appears to be three
    > important updates to RH9, having to do with the kernel. For four days
    > I've been getting the error msg "Demo service for server 1003318047
    > limited due to high load... Demo service currently disabled due to
    > high load." There follows a generic URL, which doesn't tell me much.
    >
    > Is it better to try to update late at night? Or just wait a few more
    > days? (Hopefully it won't be turned off at the end of the month...)
    > Or is there a way to tell it to use a different server/ mirror (and
    > which one would you recommend)?
    >
    > Mike Maxwell

    Just go to rhn.redhat.com, login, download the rpm you like,
    and install the kernel-rpm manually.

    regards,

    peri

  3. Re: Can't get update from RH

    I've been having the same trouble with up2date. I had considered just updating
    the Kernel from the RPM, but A.) I've always just let up2date do it, so I
    assumed there was some magic to it that was beyond my grasp; and B.)installing a
    new kernel always used to be such an involved task--has it really gotten to be
    as simple as running rmp -ivh on the kernel rpm? Sheesh! I usually just download
    the new version and upgrade from there. This is the first time I'm actually
    going to HAVE to upgrade the kernel myself before the product dies--which is
    TODAY!

    In article , peri says...

    >On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:03:12 -0700, Mike Maxwell wrote:
    >
    >> For four days I've been trying to download what appears to be three
    >> important updates to RH9, having to do with the kernel. For four days
    >> I've been getting the error msg "Demo service for server 1003318047
    >> limited due to high load... Demo service currently disabled due to
    >> high load." There follows a generic URL, which doesn't tell me much.
    >>
    >> Is it better to try to update late at night? Or just wait a few more
    >> days? (Hopefully it won't be turned off at the end of the month...)
    >> Or is there a way to tell it to use a different server/ mirror (and
    >> which one would you recommend)?
    >>
    >> Mike Maxwell

    >Just go to rhn.redhat.com, login, download the rpm you like,
    >and install the kernel-rpm manually.
    >
    >regards,
    >
    >peri

  4. Re: Can't get update from RH

    peri wrote in message news:...
    > Just go to rhn.redhat.com, login, download the rpm you like,
    > and install the kernel-rpm manually.

    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option (although I suppose I was
    informed of it somewhere along the line). But when I go there, there
    were maybe a dozen rpms. My past experience is that installing rpms
    manually is a pain, and I can't always figure out all the
    interdependencies... Plus, I'm unclear on the 386 vs. 486 vs. 586
    files. I suppose that's documented somewhere. Sigh...

    Mike Maxwell

+ Reply to Thread