Looking for Linux OCR software - recommendations - Redhat

This is a discussion on Looking for Linux OCR software - recommendations - Redhat ; I have a list of a few OCR packages for Linux, but I'd like to get some recommendations from people who have used them, and to hear about their experiences. My requirements are fairly simple 1. The ocr software needs ...

  1. Looking for Linux OCR software - recommendations

    I have a list of a few OCR packages for Linux, but I'd like to get
    some recommendations from people who have used them, and to hear about
    their experiences.

    My requirements are fairly simple

    1. The ocr software needs to be invoked from a shell script, and
    output the text to some file.

    2. The OCR software hopefully runs on RH 9.0

    3. The software should be fairly accurate/reliable. I only need to
    pull the time from some JPG images. The text/font is exactly the same
    on all of the images, and the images will all be the same size and
    format.

    Here are the packages I've found
    http://www.linux-ocr.ekitap.gen.tr/

    If your package is not on this list, but meets the above requirements,
    please speak up.

    thanks

  2. Re: Looking for Linux OCR software - recommendations

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway cappy2112@yahoo.com typed:
    > I have a list of a few OCR packages for Linux, but I'd like to get
    > some recommendations from people who have used them, and to hear about
    > their experiences.
    >
    > My requirements are fairly simple
    >
    > 1. The ocr software needs to be invoked from a shell script, and
    > output the text to some file.
    >
    > 2. The OCR software hopefully runs on RH 9.0
    >
    > 3. The software should be fairly accurate/reliable. I only need to
    > pull the time from some JPG images. The text/font is exactly the same
    > on all of the images, and the images will all be the same size and
    > format.
    >
    > Here are the packages I've found
    > http://www.linux-ocr.ekitap.gen.tr/
    >
    > If your package is not on this list, but meets the above requirements,
    > please speak up.

    There's clara (http://www.claraocr.org/) but I've never been able to
    get it to work, although I think there are those who have.
    There is also gocr (http://jocr.sourceforge.net/) but again I've had
    no luck with this.
    There are also a several other offerings that I haven't tried;
    kooka (http://www.kde.org/apps/kooka/) - actually I think that this
    uses gocr; vividata (http://www.vividata.com/index.html);
    and there are others - try googling "linux ocr".

    I use a Siemens Pocket Reader; I paid 30 for mine but I've just
    bought another on ebay for 4. Linux drivers can be found on the
    Siemens website.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  3. Re: Looking for Linux OCR software - recommendations

    Trog Woolley wrote in message news:...
    > While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway cappy2112@yahoo.com typed:
    > > I have a list of a few OCR packages for Linux, but I'd like to get
    > > some recommendations from people who have used them, and to hear about
    > > their experiences.
    > >
    > > My requirements are fairly simple
    > >
    > > 1. The ocr software needs to be invoked from a shell script, and
    > > output the text to some file.
    > >
    > > 2. The OCR software hopefully runs on RH 9.0
    > >
    > > 3. The software should be fairly accurate/reliable. I only need to
    > > pull the time from some JPG images. The text/font is exactly the same
    > > on all of the images, and the images will all be the same size and
    > > format.
    > >
    > > Here are the packages I've found
    > > http://www.linux-ocr.ekitap.gen.tr/
    > >
    > > If your package is not on this list, but meets the above requirements,
    > > please speak up.

    > I use a Siemens Pocket Reader; I paid 30 for mine but I've just
    > bought another on ebay for 4. Linux drivers can be found on the
    > Siemens website.

    Thanks- but as the original message states- I already have the images
    (jpgs), I don't need to acquire them, just OCR them.

+ Reply to Thread