Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ? - Redhat ; Does anyone know where I can find any concise "how to" info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?...

  1. Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    Does anyone know where I can find any concise "how to" info on upgrading
    from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

  2. Re: Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    DMS wrote:
    > Does anyone know where I can find any concise "how to" info on upgrading
    > from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    I would not upgrade. I would save my user data and reinstall the system. This
    takes almost the same time and is more consistent. The upgrade from RH9 to
    fedora is worth it !!

    If you don't want to reinstall but upgrade, just go ahead. The upgrade should
    actually work fine, given, that you have not manipulated your RH9 Distro too
    much (by for example overriding some libraries with make; make install or stuff
    like that). If you've only used Redhat RPMS, an upgrade should work.

    greets Boris

  3. Re: Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    Boris Glawe wrote:

    > I would not upgrade. I would save my user data and reinstall the system.
    > This takes almost the same time and is more consistent. The upgrade from
    > RH9 to fedora is worth it !!
    >
    > If you don't want to reinstall but upgrade, just go ahead. The upgrade
    > should actually work fine, given, that you have not manipulated your RH9
    > Distro too much (by for example overriding some libraries with make; make
    > install or stuff like that). If you've only used Redhat RPMS, an upgrade
    > should work.

    Additionally, do you need to upgrade right now? The new Fedora is due out in
    about a month - test version 3 is out today - and offers far nicer
    interfaces. I haven't tried the new Gnome, but KDE 3.2.2 is a pleasure to
    use.

    Pip

  4. Re: Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    "DMS" wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where I can find any concise "how to" info on upgrading
    > from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    I asked the same question in aus.computers.linux , and what some people are
    doing is using Yum to do the upgrade by loading all the Fedora RPMs into a
    directory and editing the yum.conf file to point to it.
    Since you are doing the upgrade while RH is running , it produces no
    problems .

    There are a few other steps in doing the upgrade this way , but it does look
    like the way to go.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  5. Re: Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    Boris --

    What do you mean upgrade from RH9 to Fedora? Do you mean keep RH9 installed
    as it is, and somewhere get the Fedora Cdroms and install Fedora using the
    'upgrade' method?? I think that is what you are saying. If this is so,
    could you confirm that this is true?

    Also - where does one get Fedora? Off the RedHat site maybe??

    "Boris Glawe" wrote in message
    > DMS wrote:
    > > Does anyone know where I can find any concise "how to" info on upgrading
    > > from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?
    > >

    > I would not upgrade. I would save my user data and reinstall the system.

    This
    > takes almost the same time and is more consistent. The upgrade from RH9 to
    > fedora is worth it !!
    >
    > If you don't want to reinstall but upgrade, just go ahead. The upgrade

    should
    > actually work fine, given, that you have not manipulated your RH9 Distro

    too
    > much (by for example overriding some libraries with make; make install or

    stuff
    > like that). If you've only used Redhat RPMS, an upgrade should work.
    >
    > greets Boris

  6. Re: Info on upgrading from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 ?

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:22:32 -0300, "Ted Gervais"
    wrote:

    >Boris --
    >
    >What do you mean upgrade from RH9 to Fedora? Do you mean keep RH9 installed
    >as it is, and somewhere get the Fedora Cdroms and install Fedora using the
    >'upgrade' method?? I think that is what you are saying. If this is so,
    >could you confirm that this is true?
    >
    >Also - where does one get Fedora? Off the RedHat site maybe??

    Yes that method of 'upgrading' works. I've done it a few times
    myself. For downloads, start at http://fedora.redhat.com

+ Reply to Thread