fluxbox - Redhat

This is a discussion on fluxbox - Redhat ; i have got so far with installation of fluxbox desktop. ../configure make and make install, no problem. Bearing in mind Iam a noobie how do I proceed from here...

  1. fluxbox

    i have got so far with installation of fluxbox desktop.
    ../configure make and make install, no problem.
    Bearing in mind Iam a noobie how do I proceed from here

  2. Re: fluxbox

    ian wrote:
    > i have got so far with installation of fluxbox desktop.
    > ./configure make and make install, no problem.
    > Bearing in mind Iam a noobie how do I proceed from here

    With make install, you have copied one or more binaries to you binary path
    (Often /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin). The binary path consists of two parts: The
    prefix and "/bin"

    If the prefix is "/usr/local", your binaries will be copied to "/usr/local/bin".

    I don't know which default prefix fluxbox has. You can find it out by entering
    "./configure --help | less" in the source directory. The default prefix is shown
    somewhere at the top of the output.

    If you want to install fluxbox to another path, you have to specify another
    prefix with the configure command: "./configure --prefix=/opt/fluxbox" for
    example. All files will then be copied to /opt/fluxbox/bin, /opt/fluxbox/lib,
    /opt/fluxbox/man etc when you run the "make install" command.
    The advantage of specifying a different prefix is, that you can uninstall your
    tool with "rm -rf /opt/fluxbox" without having to fear, that you break any other
    programs. The disadvantage is, that /opt/fluxbox is not in your $PATH, which
    means, your binaries in /opt/fluxbox/bin will not be found by the shell. Running
    fluxbox requires entering the full pathname to the binary:
    "/opt/fluxbox/bin/fluxbox" should run the binarie called fluxbox in the
    directory /opt/fluxbox/bin .

    greets Boirs

+ Reply to Thread