Real Player can't use the audio device - Redhat

This is a discussion on Real Player can't use the audio device - Redhat ; When I try to listen to real audio, realplay pops up a panel saying: "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it." The panel has two buttons, "OK" and "More Info..." Clicking either closes the panel and ...

  1. Real Player can't use the audio device

    When I try to listen to real audio, realplay pops up a panel
    saying: "Cannot open the audio device. Another application
    may be using it."

    The panel has two buttons, "OK" and "More Info..." Clicking either
    closes the panel and nothing else happens. No errors at reported
    in the terminal window when running realplay from the command line.

    Xine, etc. play audio just fine on the other hand...

    Does anyone know where should I start looking?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Real Player can't use the audio device

    In article , No Spam wrote:
    > When I try to listen to real audio, realplay pops up a panel
    > saying: "Cannot open the audio device. Another application
    > may be using it."
    >
    > The panel has two buttons, "OK" and "More Info..." Clicking either
    > closes the panel and nothing else happens. No errors at reported
    > in the terminal window when running realplay from the command line.
    >
    > Xine, etc. play audio just fine on the other hand...
    >
    > Does anyone know where should I start looking?

    What are you running it under? A simple window manager without
    sound events, GNOME, KDE, ...?

  3. Re: Real Player can't use the audio device

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:23:44 +0000, Spamless wrote:

    > In article , No Spam
    > wrote:
    >> When I try to listen to real audio, realplay pops up a panel saying:
    >> "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."
    >>
    >> The panel has two buttons, "OK" and "More Info..." Clicking either
    >> closes the panel and nothing else happens. No errors at reported in the
    >> terminal window when running realplay from the command line.
    >>
    >> Xine, etc. play audio just fine on the other hand...
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where should I start looking?

    > What are you running it under? A simple window manager without sound
    > events, GNOME, KDE, ...?

    I am running Redhat 9/Gnome. Uname -a output is: Linux
    localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-6 #1 Thu Feb 27 10:06:59 EST 2003 i686 athlon
    i386 GNU/Linux.

    On starting /usr/bin/redhat-config-soundcard at the command line,
    sox immediately complains:

    sox: Unable to set audio speed to 44100 (set to 48000)
    -8

    The little r-c-s panelreports:

    Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SIS]
    Model SIS7012 PDI Audio Accelerator
    Module: i810_audio

    When I play the test sound, the right speaker alone sounds ok,
    the left speaker alone sounds ok, but there is brief static near
    the end when the third test plays through both speakers.

  4. Re: Real Player can't use the audio device

    In article , No Spam wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:23:44 +0000, Spamless wrote:
    >
    >> In article , No Spam
    >> wrote:
    >>> When I try to listen to real audio, realplay pops up a panel saying:
    >>> "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

    Is another application using it :-)

    >>> The panel has two buttons, "OK" and "More Info..." Clicking either
    >>> closes the panel and nothing else happens. No errors at reported in the
    >>> terminal window when running realplay from the command line.
    >>>
    >>> Xine, etc. play audio just fine on the other hand...
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know where should I start looking?

    What version of RealPlayer?

    >> What are you running it under? A simple window manager without sound
    >> events, GNOME, KDE, ...?

    > I am running Redhat 9/Gnome. Uname -a output is: Linux
    > localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-6 #1 Thu Feb 27 10:06:59 EST 2003 i686 athlon
    > i386 GNU/Linux.

    In real, under VIEW|PREFERENCES, how have you got the sound configured?

    > Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SIS]
    > Model SIS7012 PDI Audio Accelerator
    > Module: i810_audio

    Are you using the kernel sound drivers, the OSS drivers, or have
    you switched/upgraded to the Alsa drivers for the i810 audio?

    > When I play the test sound, the right speaker alone sounds ok,
    > the left speaker alone sounds ok, but there is brief static near
    > the end when the third test plays through both speakers.

  5. Re: Real Player can't use the audio device

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:12:24 +0000, Spamless wrote:

    > In article , No Spam wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:23:44 +0000, Spamless wrote:

    > Is another application using it :-)

    Xine etc. do not notice if so. How do I check?

    > What version of RealPlayer?

    Version 8.0.3.412 is reported in the "About RealPlayer 8" panel.

    >>> What are you running it under? A simple window manager without sound
    >>> events, GNOME, KDE, ...?

    >> I am running Redhat 9/Gnome. Uname -a output is: Linux
    >> localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-6 #1 Thu Feb 27 10:06:59 EST 2003 i686
    >> athlon i386 GNU/Linux.

    > In real, under VIEW|PREFERENCES, how have you got the sound configured?

    Under Preferences > Performance > Audio Drivers, I changed from
    "Use native sound drivers" to "ESound Support (Linux only, ESD
    must be running)" after finding that esd was running.

    It works now! Many thanks!

    >> Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SIS] Model SIS7012 PDI Audio
    >> Accelerator
    >> Module: i810_audio

    > Are you using the kernel sound drivers, the OSS drivers, or have you
    > switched/upgraded to the Alsa drivers for the i810 audio?

    "rpm -q alsaplayer" returns: alsaplayer-0.99.76-1.fr . Does that
    tell you anything useful? I think I recall installing alsaplayer
    during my less than completely successful struggles with mplayer.

    Thanks again!

  6. Re: Real Player can't use the audio device

    In article , No Spam wrote:

    >> In real, under VIEW|PREFERENCES, how have you got the sound configured?

    > Under Preferences > Performance > Audio Drivers, I changed from
    > "Use native sound drivers" to "ESound Support (Linux only, ESD
    > must be running)" after finding that esd was running.
    >
    > It works now! Many thanks!

    Whew! Unfortunately, it's always the last thing one tries that
    gets it to work :-)

    I believe (someone will probably correct me) that esd allows
    several items to play with the sound device, which is useful
    in a Window manager which is also playing with it for its
    sound events. I run under a lightweight window manager (ICE)
    and haven't booted to gnome or kde in over a month.

    > "rpm -q alsaplayer" returns: alsaplayer-0.99.76-1.fr . Does that
    > tell you anything useful? I think I recall installing alsaplayer
    > during my less than completely successful struggles with mplayer.

    Thats the player - if you didn't download, compile and install
    the drivers, you are probably using the OSS drivers (which come
    with kernel 2.4.x, but other distributions than redhat come
    set up with Alsa and kernel 2.6.5 comes with both Alsa and
    OSS and defaults to Alsa).

    > Thanks again!

    Well, I should have suggested playing with the preferences
    first ...

+ Reply to Thread