Boot probs after re-loading Win98 on dual boot system - Redhat

This is a discussion on Boot probs after re-loading Win98 on dual boot system - Redhat ; See the messages below re similar problem. Mine is a little different because I'm a newbie and was using GRUB with RHL9. I've tried using the original RHL9 CD's to boot and use the 'linux rescue' option which attempts to ...

  1. Boot probs after re-loading Win98 on dual boot system

    See the messages below re similar problem.

    Mine is a little different because I'm a newbie and was using GRUB with
    RHL9.

    I've tried using the original RHL9 CD's to boot and use the 'linux rescue'
    option which attempts to load my original Linux system into /mnt/sysimage
    but reports an error and says that only part of the system is 'loaded'. I
    then get a prompt of "sh-2.056#" and if I do a ls command get the sbin
    folder showing along with others but it does not contain either lilo or
    grub, so the commands suggested below don't work.

    As I'm a newbie could someone please spell out in words of one syllable how
    I can retrieve my GRUB bootloader to work. I'm rather concerned that the
    Linux system may be damaged in view of the error above but if I can get GRUB
    to work and try loading Linux I'll know for sure!

    Many Thanks (cos I really don't want to re-load it all again!!!)

  2. Re: Boot probs after re-loading Win98 on dual boot system

    In article <108lbq6dots3k70@corp.supernews.com>, John M Carter wrote:
    > See the messages below re similar problem.
    >
    > Mine is a little different because I'm a newbie and was using GRUB with
    > RHL9.
    >
    > I've tried using the original RHL9 CD's to boot and use the 'linux rescue'
    > option which attempts to load my original Linux system into /mnt/sysimage
    > but reports an error and says that only part of the system is 'loaded'. I
    > then get a prompt of "sh-2.056#" and if I do a ls command get the sbin
    > folder showing along with others but it does not contain either lilo or
    > grub, so the commands suggested below don't work.

    /mnt/sysimage/sbin/ does not have lilo or grub?

    "only part of the system is 'loaded'" - does that refer to loading
    the system from the CD or mounting the partitions from your hard drive?

    Do you know what partitions (hda, etc.) contain your system and the
    formats of the partitions (ext3, etc.)? (at one time, as root, I
    did a very, bad thing ... I meant to copy stuff from a directory newdir,
    to / and typed:

    NOT

    mv newdir/* /

    but

    mv /* newdir/

    The rescue CD no longer believed I had linux installed and I had to mount
    the partitions, they were still ext3 formatted, and move things back
    where they belonged.

    > As I'm a newbie could someone please spell out in words of one syllable how
    > I can retrieve my GRUB bootloader to work. I'm rather concerned that the
    > Linux system may be damaged in view of the error above but if I can get GRUB
    > to work and try loading Linux I'll know for sure!
    >
    > Many Thanks (cos I really don't want to re-load it all again!!!)

  3. Re: Boot probs after re-loading Win98 on dual boot system

    Thanks for the response. To answer your questions;

    1. It's the sh-2.056# that doesn't have lilo or grub in the sbin folder.

    2. I'm pretty sure it's my old system that's only part mounted into the
    rescue process

    3. I do know the partition names and formats - hda7 and hda8 are ext3,
    hda9 is linux swap.

    Hope you can help

    "Spamless" wrote in message
    > In article <108lbq6dots3k70@corp.supernews.com>, John M Carter wrote:
    > > See the messages below re similar problem.
    > >
    > > Mine is a little different because I'm a newbie and was using GRUB with
    > > RHL9.
    > >
    > > I've tried using the original RHL9 CD's to boot and use the 'linux

    rescue'
    > > option which attempts to load my original Linux system into

    /mnt/sysimage
    > > but reports an error and says that only part of the system is 'loaded'.

    > > then get a prompt of "sh-2.056#" and if I do a ls command get the sbin
    > > folder showing along with others but it does not contain either lilo or
    > > grub, so the commands suggested below don't work.

    > /mnt/sysimage/sbin/ does not have lilo or grub?
    >
    > "only part of the system is 'loaded'" - does that refer to loading
    > the system from the CD or mounting the partitions from your hard drive?
    >
    > Do you know what partitions (hda, etc.) contain your system and the
    > formats of the partitions (ext3, etc.)? (at one time, as root, I
    > did a very, bad thing ... I meant to copy stuff from a directory newdir,
    > to / and typed:
    >
    > NOT
    >
    > mv newdir/* /
    >
    > but
    >
    > mv /* newdir/
    >
    > The rescue CD no longer believed I had linux installed and I had to mount
    > the partitions, they were still ext3 formatted, and move things back
    > where they belonged.
    >

    > > As I'm a newbie could someone please spell out in words of one syllable

    how
    > > I can retrieve my GRUB bootloader to work. I'm rather concerned that the
    > > Linux system may be damaged in view of the error above but if I can get

    GRUB
    > > to work and try loading Linux I'll know for sure!
    > >
    > > Many Thanks (cos I really don't want to re-load it all again!!!)

+ Reply to Thread