Problems with RH 9.0 and Terminal Programs... - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems with RH 9.0 and Terminal Programs... - Redhat ; Hey All, I am a lowly user (read: I'm not the admin) of an HP x4000, that was recently upgraded from RH 7.2 to 9.0: ----------------------begin terminal output---------------------------- bash(234)> uname -a Linux sahp4913 2.4.20-28.9psycho #1 SMP Wed Feb 18 07:08:55 ...

  1. Problems with RH 9.0 and Terminal Programs...

    Hey All,

    I am a lowly user (read: I'm not the admin) of an HP x4000, that was
    recently upgraded from RH 7.2 to 9.0:

    ----------------------begin terminal output----------------------------
    bash(234)> uname -a
    Linux sahp4913 2.4.20-28.9psycho #1 SMP Wed Feb 18 07:08:55 MST 2004 i686
    i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    bash(235)>
    ----------------------end terminal output----------------------------

    The source of my discontent is that I cannot find a terminal program in
    the distribution that will suit my needs. Here are a couple of the
    problems (I used and am using the default Gnome desktop for each
    distribution):

    For xterm:

    (1) I cannot get the xterm to display 8-bit characters, and I cannot get
    xterm to respond (I use bash as my shell) to 8-bit (alt-)
    input. This used to work on RH 7.x with the settings that I have in my
    ..bash files for stty, and for the X resources that I have for xterm.

    Just for completeness, my .bash_profile invokes stty using

    ------------------begin included .bash_profile contents---------------
    #
    # Use stty to get my usual key bindings
    #
    stty intr '^c' erase '^?' susp '^z' kill '^u' tab3

    #
    # Set the terminal up for 8-bit characters
    # (SysV Compatible)

    stty cs8 -parenb -istrip
    ------------------end included .bash_profile contents---------------

    and running 'appres xterm' yields

    ------------------begin included X resources---------------

    xterm*VT100.Translations: #override Meta:insert-eight-bit() \n
    xterm*metaSendsEscape: true
    xterm*eightBitInput: true

    xterm*pointerShape: gumby

    ------------------end included X resources---------------

    The last piece of information that I have regarding the lack of eight-bit
    character and keyboard input handling is that when I invoke the xterm Main
    Options menu via -, the menu pick "8-bit controls" is shaded
    and, therefore, unselectable.

    (2) The last X resource I included above brings up another point. I do
    not get to select my pointerShape. No matter what I do, including
    invoking the -xrm '*.pointerShape: gumby' command-line option to xterm, my
    pointer is overridden by some weird winged critter.

    Now, some might suggest that I use gnome-terminal instead. Well, no
    matter what I do, the eight-bit problem still occurs, but there's an even
    more nettlesome problem with it: gnome-terminal intercepts some characters
    before they reach the application. For example, I cannot send a ^-^
    (-) keyboard input to the applications I run from this
    program. This makes, for example, pico dang near impossible to use.

    I know that I'm asking for free advice, and I hope that I've painted a
    good picture of my predicament; but, any help that anyone can provide
    would really be appreciated (I'm an unreformable retro-grouch who uses
    terminal-based applications for email, most of my web-browsing, and for
    news reading).

    cheers,
    john

  2. Re: Problems with RH 9.0 and Terminal Programs...

    "John Red-Horse" wrote in message
    > Hey All,
    >
    > I am a lowly user (read: I'm not the admin) of an HP x4000, that was
    > recently upgraded from RH 7.2 to 9.0:
    >
    > ----------------------begin terminal output----------------------------
    > bash(234)> uname -a
    > Linux sahp4913 2.4.20-28.9psycho #1 SMP Wed Feb 18 07:08:55 MST 2004 i686
    > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    > bash(235)>
    > ----------------------end terminal output----------------------------
    >
    > The source of my discontent is that I cannot find a terminal program in
    > the distribution that will suit my needs. Here are a couple of the
    > problems (I used and am using the default Gnome desktop for each
    > distribution):
    >
    > For xterm:
    >
    > (1) I cannot get the xterm to display 8-bit characters, and I cannot get
    > xterm to respond (I use bash as my shell) to 8-bit (alt-)
    > input. This used to work on RH 7.x with the settings that I have in my
    > .bash files for stty, and for the X resources that I have for xterm.
    >
    > Just for completeness, my .bash_profile invokes stty using
    >
    > ------------------begin included .bash_profile contents---------------
    > #
    > # Use stty to get my usual key bindings
    > #
    > stty intr '^c' erase '^?' susp '^z' kill '^u' tab3
    >
    > #
    > # Set the terminal up for 8-bit characters
    > # (SysV Compatible)
    >
    > stty cs8 -parenb -istrip
    > ------------------end included .bash_profile contents---------------
    >
    > and running 'appres xterm' yields
    >
    > ------------------begin included X resources---------------
    >
    > xterm*VT100.Translations: #override

    Meta:insert-eight-bit() \n
    > xterm*metaSendsEscape: true
    > xterm*eightBitInput: true
    >
    > xterm*pointerShape: gumby
    >
    > ------------------end included X resources---------------
    >
    > The last piece of information that I have regarding the lack of eight-bit
    > character and keyboard input handling is that when I invoke the xterm Main
    > Options menu via -, the menu pick "8-bit controls" is shaded
    > and, therefore, unselectable.
    >
    > (2) The last X resource I included above brings up another point. I do
    > not get to select my pointerShape. No matter what I do, including
    > invoking the -xrm '*.pointerShape: gumby' command-line option to xterm, my
    > pointer is overridden by some weird winged critter.
    >
    > Now, some might suggest that I use gnome-terminal instead. Well, no
    > matter what I do, the eight-bit problem still occurs, but there's an even
    > more nettlesome problem with it: gnome-terminal intercepts some characters
    > before they reach the application. For example, I cannot send a ^-^
    > (-) keyboard input to the applications I run from this
    > program. This makes, for example, pico dang near impossible to use.

    Have you tried using the virtual consoles by pressing F1 ..... F8 ? , this
    will take you back to the shell and a login prompt.

    --
    Sandgroper

+ Reply to Thread