Programming for IPX - Redhat

This is a discussion on Programming for IPX - Redhat ; Hello, What's up with RH 9? I'm using the defined protocol families and every time I attempt to open a socket with socket() I get the following: Unable to create socket: Socket type not supported The socket type seems to ...

  1. Programming for IPX

    Hello,

    What's up with RH 9? I'm using the defined protocol families and every
    time I attempt to open a socket with socket() I get the following:

    Unable to create socket: Socket type not supported

    The socket type seems to be supported. It's mentioned in the manual
    page. For crying out loud, I'm using IPX/SPX on eth0. I have IPX/SPX
    command utilities (such as nprint, etc.), what am I missing? Perhaps a
    header file somewhere? Currently, my program code has the following
    library headers:

    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include

    What else is necessary?

    Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee)
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    11311 Chinden Blvd.
    Boise, Idaho
    Please note: The e-mail address is purposely
    mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to
    become a spam haven.

  2. Re: Programming for IPX

    Andrew Falanga wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What's up with RH 9? I'm using the defined protocol families and every
    > time I attempt to open a socket with socket() I get the following:
    >
    > Unable to create socket: Socket type not supported
    >
    > The socket type seems to be supported. It's mentioned in the manual
    > page. For crying out loud, I'm using IPX/SPX on eth0. I have IPX/SPX
    > command utilities (such as nprint, etc.), what am I missing? Perhaps a
    > header file somewhere? Currently, my program code has the following
    > library headers:
    >
    > #include
    > #include
    > #include
    > #include
    >

    > What else is necessary?

    > Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee)
    > Hewlett-Packard Company
    > 11311 Chinden Blvd.
    > Boise, Idaho
    > Please note: The e-mail address is purposely
    > mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to
    > become a spam haven.

    Sounds like you kernel doesn't support IPX or the module is not loaded.
    Check if you have a file named ipx.o under /lib/modules/. Then
    call 'lsmod' and check for 'ipx'. If it is not in the list, cal
    'modprobe ipx' as root and test again.
    You can also check the sysctl settings (as root) for something with ipx.
    On FC1 there is a setting 'net.ipx.ipx_pprop_broadcasting' when ipx
    support is loaded.

    The header is part of glibc and should always be there.

    Andreas

  3. Re: Programming for IPX

    Andrew Falanga wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What's up with RH 9? I'm using the defined protocol families and every
    > time I attempt to open a socket with socket() I get the following:
    >
    > Unable to create socket: Socket type not supported
    >
    > The socket type seems to be supported. It's mentioned in the manual
    > page. For crying out loud, I'm using IPX/SPX on eth0. I have IPX/SPX
    > command utilities (such as nprint, etc.), what am I missing? Perhaps a
    > header file somewhere? Currently, my program code has the following
    > library headers:
    >
    > #include
    > #include
    > #include
    > #include
    >

    > What else is necessary?

    > Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee)
    > Hewlett-Packard Company
    > 11311 Chinden Blvd.
    > Boise, Idaho
    > Please note: The e-mail address is purposely
    > mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to
    > become a spam haven.

    I don't know the answer to your question, but have one of my own...how
    do you install the novell nprint and other commands to a linux 9 system?

    Randy Manis

+ Reply to Thread