Professional FTP Server? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Professional FTP Server? - Redhat ; Hello! I am a linux damin that is going to start offering files for download. Up until now all I've done is serve web pages, but I will be offering a professional file transfer service. Since I'm already using Linux ...

  1. Professional FTP Server?

    Hello!

    I am a linux damin that is going to start offering files for download. Up until
    now all I've done is serve web pages, but I will be offering a professional
    file transfer service.

    Since I'm already using Linux (and a Mac OS X server is still too expensive for
    me) I thought I'd serve the files using it - only buy a new computer with a
    RAID HD setup.

    Now, this is a small checklist made up on the spot of things I need the ftp
    servet to do:

    1. Easy configuration. No flatfiles in vi, please.
    I don't run X, so a web based interface (webmin perhaps?) would work

    2. Virtual user support
    Preferably via SQL. No users on the machine should have access
    to the FTP server unless I explicitly give it to them.

    3. Throttling support
    I'm connected to a backbone, and want to charge users for unlimited
    bandwidth, but keep the service open even for those who doesn't pay
    and thus are bandwidth limited. Throttling should be configurable
    via either account, path or some argument I could pass along the request

    4. Unique id support. The majority of the users will not have an "account"
    but rather be anonymous ftp users - but they do have an account for their
    membership in the service (do you understand?) They register on the site,
    pay the "free download" fee and something is sent along to the ftp
    server so it somehow logs or otherwise keeps track of who was sent what.

    5. Anonymous support
    Doesn't every server has this nowadays?

    6. Security!

    Any thoughts on which ftp package that might meet these demands?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  2. Re: Professional FTP Server?

    Sandman pravi:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I am a linux damin that is going to start offering files for download. Up until
    >now all I've done is serve web pages, but I will be offering a professional
    >file transfer service.
    >
    >Since I'm already using Linux (and a Mac OS X server is still too expensive for
    >me) I thought I'd serve the files using it - only buy a new computer with a
    >RAID HD setup.
    >
    >Now, this is a small checklist made up on the spot of things I need the ftp
    >servet to do:
    >
    >1. Easy configuration. No flatfiles in vi, please.
    > I don't run X, so a web based interface (webmin perhaps?) would work
    >
    >2. Virtual user support
    > Preferably via SQL. No users on the machine should have access
    > to the FTP server unless I explicitly give it to them.
    >
    >3. Throttling support
    > I'm connected to a backbone, and want to charge users for unlimited
    > bandwidth, but keep the service open even for those who doesn't pay
    > and thus are bandwidth limited. Throttling should be configurable
    > via either account, path or some argument I could pass along the request
    >
    >4. Unique id support. The majority of the users will not have an "account"
    > but rather be anonymous ftp users - but they do have an account for their
    > membership in the service (do you understand?) They register on the site,
    > pay the "free download" fee and something is sent along to the ftp
    > server so it somehow logs or otherwise keeps track of who was sent what.
    >
    >5. Anonymous support
    > Doesn't every server has this nowadays?
    >
    >6. Security!
    >

    >Any thoughts on which ftp package that might meet these demands?

    Use wu-ftp or ProFTP. Both can be configured via Webmin.

  3. Re: Professional FTP Server?

    In article ,
    Sasa Stupar wrote:

    > Sandman pravi:
    >
    > >Hello!
    > >
    > >I am a linux damin that is going to start offering files for download. Up
    > >until
    > >now all I've done is serve web pages, but I will be offering a professional
    > >file transfer service.
    > >
    > >Since I'm already using Linux (and a Mac OS X server is still too expensive
    > >for
    > >me) I thought I'd serve the files using it - only buy a new computer with a
    > >RAID HD setup.
    > >
    > >Now, this is a small checklist made up on the spot of things I need the ftp
    > >servet to do:
    > >
    > >1. Easy configuration. No flatfiles in vi, please.
    > > I don't run X, so a web based interface (webmin perhaps?) would work
    > >
    > >2. Virtual user support
    > > Preferably via SQL. No users on the machine should have access
    > > to the FTP server unless I explicitly give it to them.
    > >
    > >3. Throttling support
    > > I'm connected to a backbone, and want to charge users for unlimited
    > > bandwidth, but keep the service open even for those who doesn't pay
    > > and thus are bandwidth limited. Throttling should be configurable
    > > via either account, path or some argument I could pass along the request
    > >
    > >4. Unique id support. The majority of the users will not have an "account"
    > > but rather be anonymous ftp users - but they do have an account for
    > > their
    > > membership in the service (do you understand?) They register on the
    > > site,
    > > pay the "free download" fee and something is sent along to the ftp
    > > server so it somehow logs or otherwise keeps track of who was sent what.
    > >
    > >5. Anonymous support
    > > Doesn't every server has this nowadays?
    > >
    > >6. Security!
    > >

    > >Any thoughts on which ftp package that might meet these demands?
    > >

    > Use wu-ftp or ProFTP. Both can be configured via Webmin.

    I was under the impression that those were the ones people mainly attacked and
    thus the ones having the biggest security concerns?

    Either way, I'll check them out.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  4. Re: Professional FTP Server?

    Sandman pravi:

    >In article ,
    > Sasa Stupar wrote:
    >

    >>Sandman pravi:
    >>

    >>>Hello!
    >>>
    >>>I am a linux damin that is going to start offering files for download. Up
    >>>until
    >>>now all I've done is serve web pages, but I will be offering a professional
    >>>file transfer service.
    >>>
    >>>Since I'm already using Linux (and a Mac OS X server is still too expensive
    >>>for
    >>>me) I thought I'd serve the files using it - only buy a new computer with a
    >>>RAID HD setup.
    >>>
    >>>Now, this is a small checklist made up on the spot of things I need the ftp
    >>>servet to do:
    >>>
    >>>1. Easy configuration. No flatfiles in vi, please.
    >>> I don't run X, so a web based interface (webmin perhaps?) would work
    >>>
    >>>2. Virtual user support
    >>> Preferably via SQL. No users on the machine should have access
    >>> to the FTP server unless I explicitly give it to them.
    >>>
    >>>3. Throttling support
    >>> I'm connected to a backbone, and want to charge users for unlimited
    >>> bandwidth, but keep the service open even for those who doesn't pay
    >>> and thus are bandwidth limited. Throttling should be configurable
    >>> via either account, path or some argument I could pass along the request
    >>>
    >>>4. Unique id support. The majority of the users will not have an "account"
    >>> but rather be anonymous ftp users - but they do have an account for
    >>> their
    >>> membership in the service (do you understand?) They register on the
    >>> site,
    >>> pay the "free download" fee and something is sent along to the ftp
    >>> server so it somehow logs or otherwise keeps track of who was sent what.
    >>>
    >>>5. Anonymous support
    >>> Doesn't every server has this nowadays?
    >>>
    >>>6. Security!
    >>>

    >>>Any thoughts on which ftp package that might meet these demands?
    >>>

    >>Use wu-ftp or ProFTP. Both can be configured via Webmin.
    >>

    >I was under the impression that those were the ones people mainly attacked and
    >thus the ones having the biggest security concerns?
    >
    >Either way, I'll check them out.

    That depends on how you configure it. I use wu-ftp and I have no
    security problems (as far as I am aware of) but then again you don't
    have a bulletproof server. On every one there is a potential security issue.

+ Reply to Thread