NTFS for RH9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on NTFS for RH9 - Redhat ; is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions under RH9? And if it's possible, how do I do it? greetz,...

  1. NTFS for RH9

    is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions under RH9? And if
    it's possible, how do I do it?

    greetz,

  2. Re: NTFS for RH9

    Jeroen Hannes wrote:
    > is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions under RH9? And if
    > it's possible, how do I do it?
    >
    > greetz,

    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/winNT

    given, that /dev/hda5 is the ntfs partition.

    With this solution, you can only read the partition. Writing is dangerous and is
    likely to destroy your ntfs partition. Blame MS for this limitatoin who refuses
    to publish the specifications.

    There are solutions for write access. One for example uses the native windows
    ntfs driver to access the partition, but they are not implemented in redhat 9.
    google helps :-)

    The ntfs team has announced that write access will soon be secure...

    Let's wait for them or switch completely to Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or whatever
    you want. Compatibility problems are usually problems with windows.

  3. Re: NTFS for RH9

    Boris Glawe wrote:

    > Jeroen Hannes wrote:
    >> is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions
    >> under RH9? And if it's possible, how do I do it?
    >>
    >> greetz,
    >>

    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/winNT
    >
    > given, that /dev/hda5 is the ntfs partition.

    You will probably need to recompile the kernel with ntfs support
    before mount will work. I don't think it's there by default.

    > With this solution, you can only read the partition. Writing is
    > dangerous and is likely to destroy your ntfs partition. Blame
    > MS for this limitatoin who refuses to publish the
    > specifications.
    >
    > There are solutions for write access. One for example uses the
    > native windows ntfs driver to access the partition, but they
    > are not implemented in redhat 9. google helps :-)
    >
    > The ntfs team has announced that write access will soon be
    > secure...
    >
    > Let's wait for them or switch completely to Linux, FreeBSD,
    > OpenBSD or whatever you want. Compatibility problems are
    > usually problems with windows.

    Or alternatively create a vfat partition which is readable and
    writable in both linux and windows (all flavours) to store data
    that needs to be accessible to both OSs.

  4. Re: NTFS for RH9

    Can Linux read fat32 partitions automaticly? didn't knew that....

    thnx

    "Chris" schreef in bericht
    > Boris Glawe wrote:
    >
    > > Jeroen Hannes wrote:
    > >> is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions
    > >> under RH9? And if it's possible, how do I do it?
    > >>
    > >> greetz,
    > >>

    > > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/winNT
    > >
    > > given, that /dev/hda5 is the ntfs partition.

    > You will probably need to recompile the kernel with ntfs support
    > before mount will work. I don't think it's there by default.
    >
    > > With this solution, you can only read the partition. Writing is
    > > dangerous and is likely to destroy your ntfs partition. Blame
    > > MS for this limitatoin who refuses to publish the
    > > specifications.
    > >
    > > There are solutions for write access. One for example uses the
    > > native windows ntfs driver to access the partition, but they
    > > are not implemented in redhat 9. google helps :-)
    > >
    > > The ntfs team has announced that write access will soon be
    > > secure...
    > >
    > > Let's wait for them or switch completely to Linux, FreeBSD,
    > > OpenBSD or whatever you want. Compatibility problems are
    > > usually problems with windows.

    > Or alternatively create a vfat partition which is readable and
    > writable in both linux and windows (all flavours) to store data
    > that needs to be accessible to both OSs.

  5. Re: NTFS for RH9

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:27:08 +0000, Jeroen Hannes wrote:

    > Can Linux read fat32 partitions automaticly? didn't knew that....

    Yes:

    mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/windows

    Regards,
    Dave

  6. Re: NTFS for RH9

    > You will probably need to recompile the kernel with ntfs support
    > before mount will work. I don't think it's there by default.

    Ok, I didn't know that. Redhat is really careful :-)

  7. Re: NTFS for RH9

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:53:53 +0100, Chris wrote:

    >>> is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions
    >>> under RH9? And if it's possible, how do I do it?

    >> mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/winNT
    >>
    >> given, that /dev/hda5 is the ntfs partition.

    > You will probably need to recompile the kernel with ntfs support
    > before mount will work. I don't think it's there by default.

    Or just download them:

    But note the following:

    "Please note, the NTFS driver RPMs for RedHat and Fedora include the old
    driver due to technical constraints. To use the new driver, kernel needs
    to be patched with the new driver and recompiled."

    (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/st...tml#ntfsdriver)

    So best idea is to patch kernel with new ntfs driver if you want a real
    good read (and possibly write) support.

    --
    Bas.

  8. Re: NTFS for RH9

    "Jeroen Hannes" wrote in message
    > is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions under RH9? And

    if
    > it's possible, how do I do it?
    >
    > greetz,

    i've used this and it works:

    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

  9. Re: NTFS for RH9

    1. Install package kernel-ntfs-2.4.20-8.i686.rpm (google it, assume yer
    kernel is the above, if not switch to right kernel) Install it (rpm
    -Uvh kernel-ntfs-2.4.20-8.i686.rpm while in root mode)
    2. modify /etc/fstab to add line
    "/mnt/C_Drive ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=ABCD,gid=ABCD 0 0"
    where ABCD is your group name that's your name (see the last entry in
    group file i.e. cat /etc/group)
    3. Modify /etc/group and place yourself in the disk group (/dev/hdXX is
    usually in the disk group)
    Type gedit /etc/group and search for line "disk:x:6:root" and modify it
    to read "disk:x:6:root,ABCD", same as in point no 2.
    4. Reboot
    5. To load drive right click on window, got disk, submenu and mount the
    reqd part.
    Enjoy
    Bill

    Jeroen Hannes wrote:
    > is it possible to see and use my Windows(ntfs) partitions under RH9? And if
    > it's possible, how do I do it?
    >
    > greetz,

+ Reply to Thread