Grub won't boot to linux partion - Redhat

This is a discussion on Grub won't boot to linux partion - Redhat ; Lenard, This is how my grub.conf now reads. At least it comes up with a different error. Now it says filesystem type unknown, partion 0X82. Error 17 cannot mount selected partion. If I'm reading man grub correctly, grub must start ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Grub won't boot to linux partion

    Lenard,
    This is how my grub.conf now reads. At least it comes up with a
    different error. Now it says filesystem type unknown, partion 0X82.
    Error 17 cannot mount selected partion.
    If I'm reading man grub correctly, grub must start on logical partion
    4. It has worked here in the past. All I did was upgrade to ferdora.
    (0,4) work in the past. The system boots fine off a floppy. I'm missing
    something very simple but can't figure out what it is. Grub doesn't
    appear to be look to the right mount point. Thanks for your help

    Jesse
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title WINDOWS 98
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc2 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3debug ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi
    # initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3debug.img
    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi
    # initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-27.7.xdebug)
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.7.xdebug ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi
    # initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-27.7.xdebug.img
    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-27.7.x)
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.7.x ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi
    # initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-27.7.x.img
    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.7)
    # root (hd0,4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.7 ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi
    # initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.7.img
    # not set up for nvidia card yet
    Len

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 02:01:31 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:
    >

    >>Mark,
    >> Thanks for taking the time to write. Under system tools all settings
    >>for my single hd are hdc1 fat32, hdc2 ext3, hdc3 linux-swap. At work I
    >>deal with so many operating systems I can feel I'm just missing
    >>something real simple here. In the past Grub pointed to (0,4) and now it
    >>doesn't seem to be able to find that partition. I'm more then welcome to
    >>any ideas.

    > Sorry about not getting back sooner (I was away at a training session, no
    > Internet access allow) take the time a carefully think about what the
    > facts are;
    >
    > You have a hard drive with three partitions, hdc1 (fat32), hdc2 (ext3) and
    > hdc3 (linux-swap)
    >
    > Grub is attempting to use a partition (0,4) which is not present (the
    > fifth partition on the first hard drive listed by the BIOS)
    >
    > Correct the errors in your grub.conf file;
    >
    > default=0
    > timeout=10
    > splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    >
    > This is a very good clue here, notice the splash image is on the second
    > partition of the first hard drive as reported by the BIOS (hd0,1).
    >
    > title WINDOWS 98
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1
    > title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    > root (hd0,4)
    >
    > Remember the fifth partition does not exist and the splash image is on the
    > second partition.
    >
    > The corrected line should read like;
    >
    > root (hd0,2)
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc2 hdd=ide-scsi

  2. Re: Grub won't boot to linux partion

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 23:44:00 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Lenard,
    > This is how my grub.conf now reads. At least it comes up with a
    > different error. Now it says filesystem type unknown, partion 0X82.
    > Error 17 cannot mount selected partion.
    > If I'm reading man grub correctly, grub must start on logical partion
    > 4. It has worked here in the past. All I did was upgrade to ferdora.
    > (0,4) work in the past. The system boots fine off a floppy. I'm missing
    > something very simple but can't figure out what it is. Grub doesn't
    > appear to be look to the right mount point. Thanks for your help
    >
    > Jesse
    > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    > #
    > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    > file # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that #
    > all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg. # root
    > (hd0,4)
    > # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5 # initrd
    > /boot/initrd-version.img #boot=/dev/hda

    When GRUB was first installed you had the root partition of Linux on hda5
    (GRUB 0,4), which is why you have this comment section. Since you no
    longer have the hard drive hda this is nothing more then something to read
    and it is really invalid with your current configuration.

    With GRUB the hd0,4 is the first hard drive as seen at the time GRUB was
    installed and the root partition was on hda5 (hda4 is defined as the
    extended partition that will/did hold the logical partitions starting with
    hda5). GRUB starts counting the partitions at zero which is (in this case)
    hda1.

    You need to re-install GRUB as root, from the console or xterm session
    type;

    /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hdc

    Here's a corrected sample of your /boot/grub.grub.conf file (blank lines
    added to make it easier to read);

    # Note that you can make changes to this file without having to reinstall
    # grub.
    #
    # NOTICE: Since you do not have a separate /boot partition. This means

    # that all kernel and initrd paths are relative to your / (root partition)
    # root (hd0,2)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc2

    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img

    #boot=/dev/hdc

    default=1
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc2 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    title WINDOWS 98
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: Grub won't boot to linux partion

    Lenard,
    I try grub-install again but without the switches. Here is what it gave
    me with them.

    > [root@localhost root]# /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hdc
    > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > Installation finished. No error reported.
    > This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
    > Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
    > fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
    >
    > (fd0) /dev/fd0
    > (hd0) /dev/hdc
    > [root@localhost root]#

    I still am getting an error 17 when trying to boot. Here is my /etc/boot
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz#

    title WINDOWS 98
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc2 hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img

    This seem to match your besides the order. I appreciate you taking the
    time to write, any advise is appreciated.
    Jesse

    Lenard wrote:
> [...]

    > Here's a corrected sample of your /boot/grub.grub.conf file (blank lines
    > added to make it easier to read);
    >
    > # Note that you can make changes to this file without having to reinstall
    > # grub.
    > #
    > # NOTICE: Since you do not have a separate /boot partition. This means
    >
    > # that all kernel and initrd paths are relative to your / (root partition)
    > # root (hd0,2)
    > # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc2
    >
    > # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    >
    > #boot=/dev/hdc
    >
    > default=1
    > timeout=10
    > splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    >
    > title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    > root (hd0,2)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc2 hdd=ide-scsi
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img

  4. Re: Grub won't boot to linux partion

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:21:29 -0400, Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Lenard,
    > I try grub-install again but without the switches. Here is what it gave
    > me with them.
    >
    >> [root@localhost root]# /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hdc Probing
    >> devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time. Installation
    >> finished. No error reported. This is the contents of the device map
    >> /boot/grub/device.map. Check if this is correct or not. If any of the
    >> lines is incorrect, fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
    >>
    >> (fd0) /dev/fd0
    >> (hd0) /dev/hdc
    >> [root@localhost root]#

    > I still am getting an error 17 when trying to boot. Here is my
    > /etc/boot

    GRUB error 17 is;
    17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

    From; http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

    You might backup everything of importance (system setting, docs and etc)
    then do a clean freash install of Fedora, it has been reported by others
    that upgrading from RHL 7.x/8.0 can be a problem and the fix was to do a
    'wipe and load' of RHL9/Fedora.

    You could check here for additional help and information about this
    problem here; https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi it's free to
    sign up and use.

    I'm sorry but I'm just out of ideas on this problem, something is not
    right or something was not upgraded/updated correctly when you went from
    RHL7.3 to Fedora.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  5. Re: Grub won't boot to linux partion

    Lenerd,
    I have read some of those posts, but for other reasons. I just hoped
    there was something else. I'm sure that will work. The system runs fine
    when booting from a floppy. There are always to many little thing you
    forget to backup or need to reset on a fresh install. Thank you for
    trying, I applaud yours and everyone's efforts, thanks. I will wait to
    my next off day and do a complete install including format.

    Jesse Benton

    Lenard wrote:

    > From; http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
    >
    > You might backup everything of importance (system setting, docs and etc)
    > then do a clean freash install of Fedora, it has been reported by others
    > that upgrading from RHL 7.x/8.0 can be a problem and the fix was to do a
    > 'wipe and load' of RHL9/Fedora.
    >
    > You could check here for additional help and information about this
    > problem here; https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi it's free to
    > sign up and use.
    >
    > I'm sorry but I'm just out of ideas on this problem, something is not
    > right or something was not upgraded/updated correctly when you went from
    > RHL7.3 to Fedora.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2