Xwindows login problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Xwindows login problem - Redhat ; Hi, I have a problem logging on with my account onto Xwindows...it however, supports logging in as root..when I try to login, a message saying that my login lasted less than 10 seconds pops up...and then back to the login ...

  1. Xwindows login problem

    Hi,
    I have a problem logging on with my account onto Xwindows...it
    however, supports logging in as root..when I try to login, a message
    saying that my login lasted less than 10 seconds pops up...and then
    back to the login screen..
    i looked at the .xsession-errors file in my home directory, and it
    says "mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied"
    i dont wanna work as root always....help!!

    thanks!
    vishwa

  2. Re: Xwindows login problem

    vishwa wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a problem logging on with my account onto Xwindows...it
    > however, supports logging in as root..when I try to login, a message
    > saying that my login lasted less than 10 seconds pops up...and then
    > back to the login screen..
    > i looked at the .xsession-errors file in my home directory, and it
    > says "mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied"
    > i dont wanna work as root always....help!!
    >
    > thanks!
    > vishwa

    1) /tmp obvisously has diskspace since 'root' login is OK.

    # df /tmp
    # df

    2) Check permissions on /tmp directory.

    # ls -ld /tmp

    It should print
    drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 376 Apr 22 06:01 /tmp

    Change permissions (the 1 is for t, sticky bit)
    #
    # chmod 1777 /tmp

    Ref. http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...lpt/22_06.html

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org

  3. Re: Xwindows login problem

    vishwa wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a problem logging on with my account onto Xwindows...it
    > however, supports logging in as root..when I try to login, a message
    > saying that my login lasted less than 10 seconds pops up...and then
    > back to the login screen..
    > i looked at the .xsession-errors file in my home directory, and it
    > says "mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied"
    > i dont wanna work as root always....help!!
    >
    > thanks!
    > vishwa

    1) /tmp obviously has diskspace since 'root' login is OK.

    # df /tmp
    # df

    2) Check permissions on /tmp directory.

    # ls -ld /tmp

    It should print
    drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 376 Apr 22 06:01 /tmp

    Change permissions (the 1 is for t, sticky bit)
    #
    # chmod 1777 /tmp

    Ref. http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...lpt/22_06.html

    // moma