How to clone user? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to clone user? - Redhat ; Hi All, I hope you can help... foolishly, when I installed Fedora Core 1, I set it up so that the only account is root. Now I see the wisdom of not doing that and would like to add a ...

  1. How to clone user?

    Hi All,

    I hope you can help... foolishly, when I installed
    Fedora Core 1, I set it up so that the only account is
    root. Now I see the wisdom of not doing that and
    would like to add a normal user, which I know how to
    do. However, I want to keep all the
    prefs/settings/layouts that I already set up in the
    root account. So, how do I do this? Just copy /root/
    to /home/normaluser and change groups and permissions?
    or is there an easier way to clone root?

    TIA!
    RJ

  2. Re: How to clone user?

    R.J.G. wrote:
    > ...foolishly, when I installed
    > Fedora Core 1, I set it up so that the only account is
    > root. Now I see the wisdom of not doing that and
    > would like to add a normal user, which I know how to
    > do. However, I want to keep all the
    > prefs/settings/layouts that I already set up in the
    > root account. So, how do I do this? Just copy /root/
    > to /home/normaluser and change groups and permissions?
    > or is there an easier way to clone root?

    Mostly, that will work (you need change both owner and group; no need
    to change permissions probably). But Some prefs actually set the
    unername regarding the necessary filenames/pathnames in some files. For
    example, openoffice.org.

    With grep and sed, you can change all files contains "/root" to
    "/home/normaluser" under your new home folder. Then everything would be
    fine.

    But you are afaid to learn a bit about grep/sed, to create a new account
    and re-configure all prefs is your safe bet.

    HTH.

    KB

    --
    NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so

+ Reply to Thread