Linux on Dell Precision 450 ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Linux on Dell Precision 450 ? - Redhat ; I recently tried to install a Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Dell Precision 450 box (Intel® E7505 chipset with 533MHz system bus, 512MB RAM) and, not surprisingly, the installer doesn't come very far. As with all newer Dell desktops, ...

  1. Linux on Dell Precision 450 ?

    I recently tried to install a Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Dell Precision 450
    box (Intel® E7505 chipset with 533MHz system bus, 512MB RAM) and, not
    surprisingly, the installer doesn't come very far. As with all newer Dell
    desktops, it doesn't like the graphics chip (an NVIDIA TM QuadroFX 500),
    nor can it see with the SATA controller and/or harddrive. There are no IDE
    drives, only a SATA 120GB hard drive.

    Now I am planning to swap some components to make the Dell box
    Linux-compatible. Questions:

    1) What graphics cards (has to support a 1280*1024 TFT Dell monitor) does
    Fedora Core 1 recognize?

    2) What SATA controller does Fedora Core 1 support, if any?

    J.Neuhoff

  2. Re: Linux on Dell Precision 450 ?

    J.Neuhoff wrote:

    > I recently tried to install a Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Dell
    > Precision 450
    > box (Intel E7505 chipset with 533MHz system bus, 512MB RAM)
    > and, not surprisingly, the installer doesn't come very far. As
    > with all newer Dell desktops, it doesn't like the graphics chip
    > (an NVIDIA TM QuadroFX 500), nor can it see with the SATA
    > controller and/or harddrive. There are no IDE drives, only a
    > SATA 120GB hard drive.

    I've got exactly the same system, except with scsi HDDs instead
    of SATA. I'm running Suse 9.1 pro with no probs.

    > Now I am planning to swap some components to make the Dell box
    > Linux-compatible. Questions:
    >
    > 1) What graphics cards (has to support a 1280*1024 TFT Dell
    > monitor) does Fedora Core 1 recognize?

    All current nVidia graphics are supported by linux. Either use
    the open source 'nv' driver from XFree86 or download the closed
    source 'nVidia' driver (from nVidia) for optimal 3D
    acceleration. If FC 1 fails to automatically recognise the
    graphics, just set it as a generic GeForce chip. Do a google
    search for 'nvidia +fedora'. You'll need the Horizontal sync and
    vertical refresh values (from the manual) to get the screen to
    work.

    > 2) What SATA controller does Fedora Core 1 support, if any?

    SATA support is relatively new in linux so may not be in FC 1,
    but a quick google search (hint: you could/should have done
    this) reveals that setting the SATA to legacy mode in the bios
    may help with installation.
    HTH
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread