passwd error - Redhat

This is a discussion on passwd error - Redhat ; Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux (running redhat 7). I have recently added a new user by editing the passwd file, when I go to assign a password for this user using passwd I get the following error. Authentication token ...

  1. passwd error

    Hi,

    I'm pretty new to Linux (running redhat 7).

    I have recently added a new user by editing the passwd file, when I go to
    assign a password for this user using passwd I get the following
    error.

    Authentication token manipulation error

    Anyone any ideas, new user is setup the same as my own home user which is
    fine.

    thanks.

  2. Re: passwd error

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:47:25 +0100, Paul Lam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Linux (running redhat 7).
    >
    > I have recently added a new user by editing the passwd file, when I go to
    > assign a password for this user using passwd I get the following
    > error.
    >
    > Authentication token manipulation error
    >
    > Anyone any ideas, new user is setup the same as my own home user which is
    > fine.

    Adding users like that has not been the reccommended way of doing it since
    the late seventies!

    Try "adduser" command, or "man adduser" for more info. Later versions
    of RH let you add a user through a gui from the menu, too, but I can't
    remember if 7.? does. Adduser is in /usr/sbin and you need to be
    root to run it, obviously.

    --
    Trevor Barton

+ Reply to Thread