Re: Any working CDWriter software available? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Any working CDWriter software available? - Redhat ; use k3b works wonders On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:10:24 +0000, J.Neuhoff wrote: > Am I the only one unable to use the any of Red Hat Fedora's CD Writer > software for creating a simple data CD? > > ...

  1. Re: Any working CDWriter software available?

    use k3b works wonders
    On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:10:24 +0000, J.Neuhoff wrote:

    > Am I the only one unable to use the any of Red Hat Fedora's CD Writer
    > software for creating a simple data CD?
    >
    > I tried the following GUI tools from the 'System Tools':
    >
    > - X-CD-Roast 0.98
    > Totally useless user interface, should be thrown into the trash bin.
    >
    > - Gnome Toaster 1.0beta
    > Has nice working drag & drop interface,
    > scans and recognises my
    > ''SAMSUNG ' 'CDRW/DVD SM-332B' 'T400' Removable CD-ROM'
    > just fine, however:
    > The 'CDRecord' function does absolutely nothing, no error messages, no a
    > single log entry. Hence, again it is totally useless.
    >

    > Finally I successfully wrote my data CD using the following simply command
    > prompts:
    >
    > $ mkisofs -r -o /home/juergen/mdb.iso /home/juergen/iso
    > $ cdrecord -scanbus
    > $ su
    > # cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=0,0,0 /home/juergen/mdb.iso
    >

    > This proves that writing a data CD is no rocket science! Hence I am quite
    > amazed why Red Hat in all those years hasn't managed to include any working
    > CD writing GUI tools in its distribution.
    >
    > All the user should have to do is drag and drop his selected folders and
    > files into the /mnt/cdrom and then hit a 'CD Write' button. Anyone out with
    > such a tool?
    >
    > Juergen

  2. Re: Any working CDWriter software available?

    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:10:24 +0000, J.Neuhoff wrote:
    >
    > > Am I the only one unable to use the any of Red Hat Fedora's CD Writer
    > > software for creating a simple data CD?
    > >
    > > I tried the following GUI tools from the 'System Tools':
    > >
    > > - X-CD-Roast 0.98
    > > Totally useless user interface, should be thrown into the trash bin.

    Kinda funny... I got used to the XCDRoast interface, and I kinda like it
    now. One FANTASTIC feature of XCDRoast is that you can burn files on the
    fly, meaning you don't need to generate an iso first. That is, if you
    have 600 Mb of files to write, but only 300 Mb free space, you can't
    exactly write a 600 Mb iso first. XCDRoast handles this fine. The only
    flaw I've found is that it doesn't properly blank DVD+RW discs. I use
    DVD+Rtools for this (blanking) then XCDRoast to record. Neall

  3. Re: Any working CDWriter software available?

    I loaded Mandrake linux and in it they have a prgram called "K3B" for
    burning cd's. Not sure if it is part of Mandrake or KDE but it works
    and looks fine.

    brian wrote:
    > use k3b works wonders
    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:10:24 +0000, J.Neuhoff wrote:
    >

    >>Am I the only one unable to use the any of Red Hat Fedora's CD Writer
    >>software for creating a simple data CD?
    >>
    >>I tried the following GUI tools from the 'System Tools':
    >>
    >>- X-CD-Roast 0.98
    >>Totally useless user interface, should be thrown into the trash bin.
    >>
    >>- Gnome Toaster 1.0beta
    >>Has nice working drag & drop interface,
    >>scans and recognises my
    >>''SAMSUNG ' 'CDRW/DVD SM-332B' 'T400' Removable CD-ROM'
    >>just fine, however:
    >>The 'CDRecord' function does absolutely nothing, no error messages, no a
    >>single log entry. Hence, again it is totally useless.
    >>

    >>Finally I successfully wrote my data CD using the following simply command
    >>prompts:
    >>
    >>$ mkisofs -r -o /home/juergen/mdb.iso /home/juergen/iso
    >>$ cdrecord -scanbus
    >>$ su
    >># cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=0,0,0 /home/juergen/mdb.iso
    >>

    >>This proves that writing a data CD is no rocket science! Hence I am quite
    >>amazed why Red Hat in all those years hasn't managed to include any working
    >>CD writing GUI tools in its distribution.
    >>
    >>All the user should have to do is drag and drop his selected folders and
    >>files into the /mnt/cdrom and then hit a 'CD Write' button. Anyone out with
    >>such a tool?
    >>
    >>Juergen

+ Reply to Thread