redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650? - Redhat

This is a discussion on redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650? - Redhat ; Hello, Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650? Thanks so much! Best, Elliot...

  1. redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650?

    Hello,

    Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650?

    Thanks so much!

    Best,

    Elliot

  2. Re: redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dellpoweredge 2650?

    Dr. E wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650?

    I do not know, but you should probably use 3.0 because it will most
    likely be supported longer. And that support is one of your reasons, I
    expect, for running RHEL instead of Fedora, on a lap top, right?

    I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing to put RHEL 3 ES on my
    desktop. It does have to run sendmail, bind, and Samba, so I guess it is
    a server.

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 16:25:00 up 10 days, 12:40, 4 users, load average: 4.35, 4.31, 4.04

  3. Re: redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650?

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:29:48 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > Dr. E wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650?
    >>

    > I do not know, but you should probably use 3.0 because it will most
    > likely be supported longer. And that support is one of your reasons, I
    > expect, for running RHEL instead of Fedora, on a lap top, right?
    >
    > I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing to put RHEL 3 ES on my
    > desktop. It does have to run sendmail, bind, and Samba, so I guess it is
    > a server.

    It doesn't HAVE to run any of those actually.

    Aaron

  4. Re: redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650?

    wrote:

    >Dr. E wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650?
    >>

    >I do not know, but you should probably use 3.0 because it will most
    >likely be supported longer. And that support is one of your reasons, I
    >expect, for running RHEL instead of Fedora, on a lap top, right?
    >
    >I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing to put RHEL 3 ES on my
    >desktop. It does have to run sendmail, bind, and Samba, so I guess it is
    >a server.

    Laptop? Isn't the 2650 a rack-mount server?

  5. Re: redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650?

    The dell pe 2650 is a dual-xeon server.

    How much longer is redhat intending to support rh es 2.1. How much
    longer for rh es 3.0?

    I've heard 2.1 is more stable on the dell pe 2650. Any truth to this?

    chris@nospam.com wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:29:48 -0400, Jean-David Beyer
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dr. E wrote:
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Should I install enterprise 2.1 or 3.0 on a dell poweredge 2650?
    > >>

    > >I do not know, but you should probably use 3.0 because it will most
    > >likely be supported longer. And that support is one of your reasons, I
    > >expect, for running RHEL instead of Fedora, on a lap top, right?
    > >
    > >I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing to put RHEL 3 ES on my
    > >desktop. It does have to run sendmail, bind, and Samba, so I guess it is
    > >a server.

    > Laptop? Isn't the 2650 a rack-mount server?

  6. Re: redhat enterprise 2.1 vs. es 3.0: which whould I use on a dell poweredge 2650?

    Dr. E wrote:
    > chris@nospam.com wrote in message news:...
    > > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:29:48 -0400, Jean-David Beyer

    > > >I do not know, but you should probably use 3.0 because it will most
    > > >likely be supported longer. And that support is one of your reasons, I
    > > >expect, for running RHEL instead of Fedora, on a lap top, right?
    > > >
    > > >I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing to put RHEL 3 ES on my
    > > >desktop. It does have to run sendmail, bind, and Samba, so I guess it is
    > > >a server.

    > > Laptop? Isn't the 2650 a rack-mount server?

    > The dell pe 2650 is a dual-xeon server.

    > How much longer is redhat intending to support rh es 2.1. How much
    > longer for rh es 3.0?

    You can easily find this and more info about RH ES/AS 2.1/3.0 at
    www.redhat.com.

    > I've heard 2.1 is more stable on the dell pe 2650. Any truth to this?

    2.1 has no lvm support and alike, don't know where you have
    "heard" that it should be more stable?

    BTW
    Please stop top-posting, thx.

    Why NOT "top post"? Well, here are some answers:

    http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/
    http://www.illuminated.co.uk/blog/archives/000409.html
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

    --
    Michael Heiming - RHCE (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

    inconvenience, but I get tons of spam.

+ Reply to Thread