Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port - Redhat ; I have an old fashioned external modem attached to my serial port. I also have both Mandrake and Fedora Core installed (on separate partitions of course) Mandrake found the serial port almost without any problem. How can I persuade Fedora ...

  1. Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    I have an old fashioned external modem attached to my
    serial port. I also have both Mandrake and Fedora
    Core installed (on separate partitions of course)

    Mandrake found the serial port almost without
    any problem. How can I persuade Fedora to look for
    the serial port so that I can access the internet from
    Fedora.

    Thanks in advance for any pointers.

  2. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    In article , dejvid wrote:

    > I have an old fashioned external modem attached to my
    > serial port. I also have both Mandrake and Fedora
    > Core installed (on separate partitions of course)
    >
    > Mandrake found the serial port almost without
    > any problem. How can I persuade Fedora to look for
    > the serial port so that I can access the internet from
    > Fedora.

    What are you using to configure it? KPP?
    Does it look for /dev/modem? Do you have such a device
    as a symbolic link pointing to the serial port which
    has the modem?

  3. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 02:06:19 +0000, Spamless wrote:

    > In article , dejvid wrote:
    >>
    >> I have an old fashioned external modem attached to my
    >> serial port. I also have both Mandrake and Fedora
    >> Core installed (on separate partitions of course)
    >>
    >> Mandrake found the serial port almost without
    >> any problem.

    Is fedora not even seeing the serial port? immediately after you reboot
    check with dmesg and see if it's listed.

    # dmesg | more | grep ttyS

    you should see at least your ttyS0 and ttyS1 if you've got them both
    enabled.

    If the serial port is there and the modem just isn't working, chances are
    fedora just didn't set up the symlink to /dev/modem properly. Try
    connecting to the modem using minicom, what happens?

    How can I persuade Fedora to look for
    >> the serial port so that I can access the internet from Fedora.

    > What are you using to configure it? KPP? Does it look for /dev/modem? Do
    > you have such a device as a symbolic link pointing to the serial port
    > which has the modem?

    Aaron

  4. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    Aaron wrote:

    > If the serial port is there and the modem just isn't working, chances are
    > fedora just didn't set up the symlink to /dev/modem properly. Try
    > connecting to the modem using minicom, what happens?

    First thanks for all the pointers.

    It seems that dev/modem doesn't exist so that is probably the cause
    of my problem.

    So how do I set a dev/modem up?

    > # dmesg | more | grep ttyS
    >
    > you should see at least your ttyS0 and ttyS1 if you've got them both
    > enabled.

    Running # dmesg | more | grep ttyS
    produced
    ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 165508
    ttyS1 at 0x03f8 (irq=3) is a 165508

    this is the same as what I get when I run that command
    from Mandrake.

    Minicom gets to the point of dialing and then instantly
    says no connection and starts the redial timer.

    Interestingly when scanmodem scans my serial ports it finds
    a modem on ttySLTO. (Might this be my winmodem tho?)

    Thanks millions to both of you for replying, especially in view of how
    vaguely I worded things at the beginning.

    David
    dejvid at zamir.net

  5. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:52:32 +0200, dejvid wrote:

    > First thanks for all the pointers.
    >
    > It seems that dev/modem doesn't exist so that is probably the cause of my
    > problem.
    >
    > So how do I set a dev/modem up?

    > Running # dmesg | more | grep ttyS
    > produced
    > ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 165508
    > ttyS1 at 0x03f8 (irq=3) is a 165508

    Depending on which one of the serial ports your modem is attached to
    create a symbolic link as root. Type something on the order of;

    ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

    > Minicom gets to the point of dialing and then instantly says no
    > connection and starts the redial timer.

    Minicom defaults to /dev/ttyS0 your modem might be on /dev/ttyS1 change
    the setting in minicom and try again.

    > Interestingly when scanmodem scans my serial ports it finds a modem on
    > ttySLTO. (Might this be my winmodem tho?)

    Maybe.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  6. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    dejvid wrote:

    > Aaron wrote:
    >>
    >> If the serial port is there and the modem just isn't working, chances are
    >> fedora just didn't set up the symlink to /dev/modem properly. Try
    >> connecting to the modem using minicom, what happens?
    >>

    > First thanks for all the pointers.
    >
    > It seems that dev/modem doesn't exist so that is probably the cause
    > of my problem.
    >
    > So how do I set a dev/modem up?

    I've just used “ln” to set modem to ttyS0.

    Running minicom no results in an immediate
    error permission denied to ttyS0.
    This is despite the fact that all the permissions are
    the same as for Mandrake.

    I did then try running minicom as root and it let me
    in but when I got to dial it just came back with “no
    connection” just as it did before (not that I'd want
    to the surf the internet as root in case!!!)

    Am I getting warm?

    David

  7. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    In article , dejvid wrote:
    > Aaron wrote:
    >>
    >> If the serial port is there and the modem just isn't working, chances are
    >> fedora just didn't set up the symlink to /dev/modem properly. Try
    >> connecting to the modem using minicom, what happens?
    >>

    > First thanks for all the pointers.
    >
    > It seems that dev/modem doesn't exist so that is probably the cause
    > of my problem.
    >
    > So how do I set a dev/modem up?

    Assuming your modem is on COM1 (in DOS-speak) (the ttyS0 device)

    cd /dev
    ln -s ttyS0 modem

    Then do a:

    ls -l /dev/modem

    and you should see it listed as a symbolic
    link to ttyS0

    Some people prefer to modify the scripts to use ttyS0
    (though many programmes have preferences using /dev/modem)
    directly - others just create the symbolic link called
    "modem" in the /dev directory pointing to ttyS0

  8. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:19:35 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > Depending on which one of the serial ports your modem is attached to
    > create a symbolic link as root. Type something on the order of;
    >
    > ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

    Thanks to both of you gave pointers to ln.

    That wasn't quite enough to get me online from Fedora.
    Today I crashed Fedora and when I rebooted Fedora swore
    at me a few times and then went into configure mode
    for my modem.

    The only problem that I have remaining is that
    KPPP (likewise minicom)insists in being run as root.
    This strikes me as making myself vulnerable
    to worms and who knows what.
    Or is this beginners paranoia?

    David
    (Posted from Fedora so once again thanks)

  9. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:10:12 +0200, David (Dejvid) Barnsdale wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:19:35 +0000, Lenard wrote:
    >

    >> Depending on which one of the serial ports your modem is attached to
    >> create a symbolic link as root. Type something on the order of;
    >>
    >> ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

    > Thanks to both of you gave pointers to ln.
    >
    > That wasn't quite enough to get me online from Fedora.
    > Today I crashed Fedora and when I rebooted Fedora swore
    > at me a few times and then went into configure mode
    > for my modem.
    >
    > The only problem that I have remaining is that
    > KPPP (likewise minicom)insists in being run as root.
    > This strikes me as making myself vulnerable
    > to worms and who knows what.
    > Or is this beginners paranoia?

    Add yourself to the uucp group, log out and back in, voilla, you can now
    use both, kppp and minicom.

    > David
    > (Posted from Fedora so once again thanks)

  10. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:10:46 -0500, Aaron wrote:

    > Add yourself to the uucp group, log out and back in, voilla, you can now
    > use both, kppp and minicom.

    I've done that and yet it still insists I log in as root but
    nonetheless thanks for that advice. Whatever remains
    is probably quite trivial and I'll stumble on it
    sooner or later.

    David

  11. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:57:48 +0200, David (Dejvid) Barnsdale wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:10:46 -0500, Aaron wrote:
    >
    >> Add yourself to the uucp group, log out and back in, voilla, you can
    >> now use both, kppp and minicom.

    > I've done that and yet it still insists I log in as root but nonetheless
    > thanks for that advice. Whatever remains is probably quite trivial and
    > I'll stumble on it sooner or later.

    Edit (as root) the /etc/pam.d/kppp file and change;

    auth sufficient pam_rootok.so

    to read;

    auth sufficient pam_permit.so

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  12. Re: Fedora can't see my modem on the serial port

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:27:05 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > Edit (as root) the /etc/pam.d/kppp file and change;
    >
    > auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
    >
    > to read;
    >
    > auth sufficient pam_permit.so

    What can I say but thanks. Problem solved. And that's
    of course thanks to all of you.

    (I've also learnt what PAM is which I suspect will
    be useful for other things so thanks for that too)

    David

+ Reply to Thread