os load - Redhat

This is a discussion on os load - Redhat ; OK. here is what I have . A7V8X-X asus mother board amd 2600 cpu pc2700 3-256 (768 meg memory) radeon 7000 agp 120 gig maxtor drive 40 gig western digital drive 54x cdrom drive 12x10x32 cd-rw drive I am have ...

  1. os load

    OK. here is what I have .
    A7V8X-X asus mother board
    amd 2600 cpu
    pc2700 3-256 (768 meg memory)
    radeon 7000 agp
    120 gig maxtor drive
    40 gig western digital drive
    54x cdrom drive
    12x10x32 cd-rw drive

    I am have been trying to load fedora core 1, or mandrake (I even tried
    windows xp) but I am not having any luck.
    With either linux distro ( I got the iso's and burned them) and yes I
    checked to make sure the iso's were good. I get to the point where it
    says it's installing (this is after I partitioned and chose packages)
    and I can see the packages being installed when all of a sudden a pop up
    message would state that it could not copy a file press enter to reboot.
    This would happen at different times with different packages.
    When I press enter and reboot, I am back to the start of the install
    again where I have to partition and chose packages.
    This has happened with both distro's. Even with windows it crashes
    during the install.
    I have replaced the motherboard, cpu, drives, cables, updated the bios
    and drivers on everything and nothing changes the outcome.
    I've been at this for 2 weeks now and don't seem to be any closer to
    geting anything to load. I want to load linux but am at a loss right
    now. Anyone got something else I can try?

    Thanks

    --
    Philip Bernstein
    ppberns@hvc.rr.com

  2. Re: os load

    Philip Bernstein wrote:
    > OK. here is what I have .
    > A7V8X-X asus mother board
    > amd 2600 cpu
    > pc2700 3-256 (768 meg memory)
    > radeon 7000 agp
    > 120 gig maxtor drive
    > 40 gig western digital drive
    > 54x cdrom drive
    > 12x10x32 cd-rw drive
    >
    > I am have been trying to load fedora core 1, or mandrake (I even tried
    > windows xp) but I am not having any luck.
    > With either linux distro ( I got the iso's and burned them) and yes I
    > checked to make sure the iso's were good. I get to the point where it
    > says it's installing (this is after I partitioned and chose packages)
    > and I can see the packages being installed when all of a sudden a pop up
    > message would state that it could not copy a file press enter to reboot.
    > This would happen at different times with different packages.
    > When I press enter and reboot, I am back to the start of the install
    > again where I have to partition and chose packages.
    > This has happened with both distro's. Even with windows it crashes
    > during the install.

    Sure sounds like a hardware problem to me. If you cannot install either
    Windows or Linux, it pretty well rules out bad media. Unless you have a
    little kid in the house that drools on and scratches them. ;-)

    > I have replaced the motherboard, cpu, drives, cables, updated the bios
    > and drivers on everything and nothing changes the outcome.

    That sounds pretty expensive unless you have a lot of hardware lying
    around -- hardware known to be good. Do you work in a computer repair
    depot? ;-)

    I had trouble installing some software with CD-ROM once, and when all
    was said and done, the CD-ROM drive was bad. Since it barfs at different
    points at different times, this increases my confidence that your
    distribution media are OK. I would worry about RAM modules, processors,
    motherboard, slow processor and case fans. If your hard drives are SCSI,
    make sure your cables are good enough and properly terminated only at
    the ends, and that termination power is supplied by the last device on
    the chain. I have 4 Ultra/320LVD hard drives in this box, and the drive
    and controller manufacturers were pretty specific about using cables
    specifically marked for Ultra/320LVD. Also the EIDE cables should be the
    80-wire type, not the 40.

    > I've been at this for 2 weeks now and don't seem to be any closer to
    > geting anything to load. I want to load linux but am at a loss right
    > now. Anyone got something else I can try?
    >
    > Thanks

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 17:15:00 up 6 days, 13:30, 2 users, load average: 4.18, 4.16, 4.10

  3. Re: os load

    Thanks for the reply. No I don't own a repair shop but with all this
    stuff lying around ......
    About the only thing I haven't replaced yet is the cdrom drives although
    I have tried each one seperately with the samw results. The drives are
    eide with a brand new cable for them. Seems I will keep on looking.

    --
    Philip Bernstein
    ppberns@hvc.rr.com

  4. Re: os load

    How about the memory? Try memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  5. Re: os load

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:42:38 GMT, Philip Bernstein
    wrote:

    >OK. here is what I have .
    >A7V8X-X asus mother board
    >amd 2600 cpu
    >pc2700 3-256 (768 meg memory)
    >radeon 7000 agp
    >120 gig maxtor drive
    >40 gig western digital drive
    >54x cdrom drive
    >12x10x32 cd-rw drive
    >
    >I am have been trying to load fedora core 1, or mandrake (I even tried
    >windows xp) but I am not having any luck.
    >With either linux distro ( I got the iso's and burned them) and yes I
    >checked to make sure the iso's were good. I get to the point where it
    >says it's installing (this is after I partitioned and chose packages)
    >and I can see the packages being installed when all of a sudden a pop up
    >message would state that it could not copy a file press enter to reboot.
    > This would happen at different times with different packages.
    >When I press enter and reboot, I am back to the start of the install
    >again where I have to partition and chose packages.
    >This has happened with both distro's. Even with windows it crashes
    >during the install.
    >I have replaced the motherboard, cpu, drives, cables, updated the bios
    >and drivers on everything and nothing changes the outcome.
    >I've been at this for 2 weeks now and don't seem to be any closer to
    >geting anything to load. I want to load linux but am at a loss right
    >now. Anyone got something else I can try?
    >
    >Thanks

    FWIW, I had trouble with installers copying files from CD's before
    that I solved by first copying the files from the CD's temporarily to
    hard disk partitions (after booting with Knoppix, for example) and
    then installing from the hard disk partitions. Also, at least once (I
    don't remember whether the Fedora installer allows this, and I don't
    think I've tried it with Mandrake) I just selected "retry" instead of
    "reboot" when the error occurred, after temporarily removing the CD
    and running a lens cleaner in the drive (I'm pretty sure there are
    console windows available where commands can be entered) and this
    would get the installer past each sticking point.

  6. Re: os load

    Thanks. All the suggestoins led me to the problem(s). I found that one
    the cdrom drives and one of the memory modules and the 40 gig drive are
    bad. not sure why they did not show up bad under diags. hmmmm. Anyway,
    I was able to load winxp, and mandrake. I am going to try fedora (which
    is what started this whole thing) next.

    Thanks again.

    Mark Nagy wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:42:38 GMT, Philip Bernstein
    > wrote:
    >

    >>OK. here is what I have .
    >>A7V8X-X asus mother board
    >>amd 2600 cpu
    >>pc2700 3-256 (768 meg memory)
    >>radeon 7000 agp
    >>120 gig maxtor drive
    >>40 gig western digital drive
    >>54x cdrom drive
    >>12x10x32 cd-rw drive
    >>
    >>I am have been trying to load fedora core 1, or mandrake (I even tried
    >>windows xp) but I am not having any luck.
    >>With either linux distro ( I got the iso's and burned them) and yes I
    >>checked to make sure the iso's were good. I get to the point where it
    >>says it's installing (this is after I partitioned and chose packages)
    >>and I can see the packages being installed when all of a sudden a pop up
    >>message would state that it could not copy a file press enter to reboot.
    >> This would happen at different times with different packages.
    >>When I press enter and reboot, I am back to the start of the install
    >>again where I have to partition and chose packages.
    >>This has happened with both distro's. Even with windows it crashes
    >>during the install.
    >>I have replaced the motherboard, cpu, drives, cables, updated the bios
    >>and drivers on everything and nothing changes the outcome.
    >>I've been at this for 2 weeks now and don't seem to be any closer to
    >>geting anything to load. I want to load linux but am at a loss right
    >>now. Anyone got something else I can try?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > FWIW, I had trouble with installers copying files from CD's before
    > that I solved by first copying the files from the CD's temporarily to
    > hard disk partitions (after booting with Knoppix, for example) and
    > then installing from the hard disk partitions. Also, at least once (I
    > don't remember whether the Fedora installer allows this, and I don't
    > think I've tried it with Mandrake) I just selected "retry" instead of
    > "reboot" when the error occurred, after temporarily removing the CD
    > and running a lens cleaner in the drive (I'm pretty sure there are
    > console windows available where commands can be entered) and this
    > would get the installer past each sticking point.

    --
    Philip Bernstein
    ppberns@hvc.rr.com
    http://pbernst.tripod.com

  7. Re: os load

    In article <7Gedc.17314$WA4.6667@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
    Philip Bernstein writes:

    > Thanks. All the suggestoins led me to the problem(s). I found that one
    > the cdrom drives and one of the memory modules and the 40 gig drive are
    > bad. not sure why they did not show up bad under diags. hmmmm. Anyway,
    > I was able to load winxp, and mandrake. I am going to try fedora (which
    > is what started this whole thing) next.

    One other tip (which is moot for you, but might be of interest to others
    reading this thread) is that many Linux distributions support direct
    network installations. Typically, you download a boot floppy image (or a
    small boot CD-ROM image), boot from it, and then point the computer at an
    FTP mirror site. Obviously, this requires either a broadband Internet
    connection or a local FTP (or NFS or whatever) site (you could copy the
    install CD-Rs to another computer on your LAN, for instance). It can be a
    good way to work around balky CD-ROM drives or bad media, though.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com