"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error - Redhat

This is a discussion on "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error - Redhat ; Hiya, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Rehhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or ...

  1. "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    Hiya,

    I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need to
    inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Rehhat 9 on my
    laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
    using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
    yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
    does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

    Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts:

    [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,user,ro 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0

    (I do have a /etc/fstab.REVOKE file present too, but it's empty.)

    [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/mtab
    /dev/hda7 / ext3 rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0

    [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
    /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro 0 0

    The dmesg command does show that /dev/hdc is correct:

    hdc: QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

    So I am stumped! I hope someone can help...

    Thanks a million in advance,

    c.

    P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

  2. Re: "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    Did you put any disc into your hdc drive?

    --
    @Copyleft 200X http://www.hutuworm.org

    "Fatos Berisha" ????
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need to
    > inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Rehhat 9 on my
    > laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
    > using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
    > yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
    > does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.
    >
    > Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts:
    >
    > [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab
    > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    > LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    > none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    > /dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,user,ro 0 0
    > /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    >
    > (I do have a /etc/fstab.REVOKE file present too, but it's empty.)
    >
    > [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/mtab
    > /dev/hda7 / ext3 rw 0 0
    > none /proc proc rw 0 0
    > usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
    > none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
    >
    > [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /proc/mounts
    > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
    > /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
    > none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    > none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro 0 0
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro 0 0
    >
    > The dmesg command does show that /dev/hdc is correct:
    >
    > hdc: QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    >
    > So I am stumped! I hope someone can help...
    >
    > Thanks a million in advance,
    >
    > c.
    >
    > P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

  3. Re: "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:05:02 +0800, "hutuworm"
    wrote:

    >Did you put any disc into your hdc drive?

    I think leaving out the disk tends to result in the message "mount: No
    medium found", rather than "not a valid block device".

  4. Re: "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:59:11 +0100, Fatos Berisha
    wrote:

    >[...]
    >P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

    Have you tried it both with and without using SCSI emulation?

  5. Re: "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    Mark Nagy writes:
    >On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:59:11 +0100, Fatos Berisha
    >wrote:
    >
    >>[...]
    >>P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

    >Have you tried it both with and without using SCSI emulation?

    If the error is "not a valid block device" then /dev/hdc is
    not a block special device. Show us what 'ls -l /dev/hdc'
    displays.

    Should be something like:

    $ ls -l /dev/hdc
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 May 5 1998 /dev/hdc

    scott

  6. Re: "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:01:10 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
    wrote:

    >Mark Nagy writes:
    >>On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:59:11 +0100, Fatos Berisha
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>[...]
    >>>P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

    >>Have you tried it both with and without using SCSI emulation?

    >If the error is "not a valid block device" then /dev/hdc is
    >not a block special device. Show us what 'ls -l /dev/hdc'
    >displays.
    >
    >Should be something like:
    >
    >$ ls -l /dev/hdc
    >brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 May 5 1998 /dev/hdc
    >
    >scott

    Sometimes, the /dev entry doesn't tell the whole story - e.g., the
    entry for a floppy disk I had incorrectly configured in BIOS once gave
    the "not a valid block device" message, but there wasn't anything
    clearly wrong in /dev. For another example, I actually have no
    hardware corresponding to /dev/hde, and:

    # ls -l /dev/hde
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 33, 0 Mar 27 23:05 /dev/hde
    # mount /dev/hde /mnt/cdrom
    mount: /dev/hde is not a valid block device

+ Reply to Thread