I am running an up-2-date version of RHEL 3 ES on a dual Xeon machine.

I have it set up to do demand dialing, since I have three machines,
including this one, on a LAN and only one dial-up connection to the
Internet. Furthermore, I run the main firewall on this machine to
protect some machines that sometimes must run Windows.

Normally, pppd is running in demand dialing mode. When nothing happens
for 10 minutes, it hangs up the connection. When someone addresses
something not on the LAN, it dials up and tries the Internet.

That all works most of the time.

But sometimes the connection is broken (I can tell by picking up the
telephone set connected to the modem and I hear dial tone) and pppd
thinks it is up. So I cannot do anything. If I

kill -9 [pid of pppd]
/sbin/ifup MyISP

everything starts working again. This is not really acceptable,
especially when I am out of town for a week or more. The main file of
interest is /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-MyISP (some faking done):

DEVICE=ppp0
WVDIALSECT=MyISP [fake]
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS4
LINESPEED=115200
PAPNAME=mySelf [fake]
USERCTL=yes
ONBOOT=yes
PERSIST=no
DEFROUTE=yes
#PEERDNS=yes
PEERDNS=no

#DEMAND=no
DEMAND=yes

IDLETIMEOUT=600
TYPE=Modem

IPADDR=123.456.789.012 [fake]
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
CCP=off
PC=off
AC=off
BSDCOMP=off
VJ=off
VJCCOMP=off
PROVIDER=MyISP
MODEMNAME=Modem0

The other one is /etc/wvdial.conf that reads, in part:

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS4
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM1L1
Dial Command = ATDT
SetVolume = 1
FlowControl = NOFLOW
Abort on Busy = on
Abort on No Dialtone = on
Dial Attempts = 3
Carrier Check = yes
Stupid Mode = 1
Idle Seconds = 600
[Dialer Exit109]
Area Code = 123 [fake]
Username = mySelf [fake]
Password = obscure [fake]
Phone = 1234567 [fake]
Stupid Mode = 1
Inherits = Modem0

Execution of these scripts results in the following output from the ps
command (some faking done):

pppd lock modem crtscts asyncmap 00000000 defaultroute 123.456.789.012:
user mySelf remotename MyISP demand ktune idle 600 holdoff 30 /dev/ttyS4
115200 ipparam MyISP linkname MyISP call MyISP noauth

I guess what I need to know is if there is a bug in the scripts, or a
bug in pppd, or what.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 08:45:00 up 5 days, 5:00, 3 users, load average: 4.00, 4.05, 4.04