We have a Red Hat 7.2 machine in the lab (we need that version for
compatibility testing). When I install the kernel-source RPM and try to
build and install a custom kernel, I get:

tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
bzImage
Root device is (3, 2)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 4640 bytes.
System is 701 kB
sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.7-10custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.7-10custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/System.map ''
/sbin/installkernel: /etc/lilo/install: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

This is with Red Hat RPMs, not some bizarro packages from rpmfind.net
:-) How do I get it to install a kernel from the Red Hat source RPM?
It's important that we use the RPM as opposed to tarball source from
kernel.org, as the compatibility requirements mean the machine has to be
bone-stock RH 7.2

* California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
* http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available *