Radhat Linux Question Newbie - Redhat

This is a discussion on Radhat Linux Question Newbie - Redhat ; Hi all, I am new to Linux. I turned to it as an alternative to relying completely on MS win XP. I recently lost a lot of files because I got a virus in my xp and I had the ...

  1. Radhat Linux Question Newbie

    Hi all,

    I am new to Linux. I turned to it as an alternative to relying completely on
    MS win XP.

    I recently lost a lot of files because I got a virus in my xp and I had the
    files on the same drive as the xp. Whole lot had to be wiped. Major
    headache. That was all two weeks ago.

    Since then I have asked around friends for alternatives. Someone recommended
    Linux. I had heard it was good once you got into it but difficult to set up.

    I reinstalled xp, this time installing it one one partition of my 120Gb
    disk. I was worried about doing this but I figured it out and now I have
    three different partitions formatted NTFS solely for windows files. I
    installed BLAG Redhat Linux from a disk I wrote after downloading the OS on
    an etc3 partition and also a swap partition of 1.25Gb. I now have a dual
    boot system which I am very proud of - until a couple of weeks ago I wasn't
    even aware there was anything could rival xp as an operating system!

    I can load linux from the boot selection screen. I like to think this is
    half the battle. I can get into the various applications and they run well.
    I like them. But here's the crunch.

    I want to use either operating systems for it's better applications on any
    of my files. I want to be able to access all my files with both os's. With
    this in mind I formatted one 20Gb partition as Fat32 so I can access it with
    linux as well as winxp. I am led to believe linux doesn't like NTFS. This
    was going to be my shared drive.

    I tried to open files from the FAT32 partition with linux but linux won't
    recognise it. I got a book form the library and used some of the commands
    from the book in the terminal window. No joy!

    When I type 'mount' as superuser it should show me the Fat32 partition,
    right? It don't. I am confused.

    Machine spec. (in case it matters)

    Asus AB-P 2600 barebone system
    Asus P4S8L Motherboard
    Maxtor 120 Gb 7200rpm 8mb hard drive
    Pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz with 533 Front side bus
    1024 DDR memory, pc2700
    Asus DVD+-r/rw (which is only really windows compatible so it's not so much
    of a worry, even though I have had it working in with linux, though not
    reliably)

    As you can see the spec is reasonable. Why won't linux recognise this
    partition?

    Any help would be gratefully recieved...

    Tom

  2. Re: Radhat Linux Question Newbie

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:11:18 +0000, Shufflespeare wrote:

    > I want to use either operating systems for it's better applications on
    > any of my files. I want to be able to access all my files with both
    > os's. With this in mind I formatted one 20Gb partition as Fat32 so I can
    > access it with linux as well as winxp. I am led to believe linux doesn't
    > like NTFS. This was going to be my shared drive.

    Red Hat Linux and it's off-shoots (BLAG) does not support the NTFS
    partition(s) 'out of the box' visit (for read only access);

    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    > I tried to open files from the FAT32 partition with linux but linux
    > won't recognise it. I got a book form the library and used some of the
    > commands from the book in the terminal window. No joy!
    >
    > When I type 'mount' as superuser it should show me the Fat32 partition,
    > right? It don't. I am confused.

    Maybe, you need to configure access to the FAT32 partition.

    > As you can see the spec is reasonable. Why won't linux recognise this
    > partition?

    Because you need to let Linux about the partition. From the console or
    xterm session type something like; fdisk -l /dev/hda

    Now let's say your FAT32 partition is shown as /dev/hda5 to mount it as
    root type something like; mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/shared

    Assuming the mountpoint /mnt/shared already exists, if not then as root
    create it; mkdir /mnt/shared

    If you want to allow users (not root) to have access to the partition edit
    the /etc/fstab file as root and add a line like;

    /dev/hda5 /mnt/shared vfat nouto,users,rw 0 0

    Read 'man fdisk' 'man fstab' 'man mount' for the details.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

+ Reply to Thread