Can't get symlink to point to modem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't get symlink to point to modem - Redhat ; I have a new external, full hardware modem that I cannot get set up in a new install of Fedora Core 1. I tried with KPPP and with the network setup utility. Neither can find the modem. So, I used ...

  1. Can't get symlink to point to modem

    I have a new external, full hardware modem that I cannot get set up
    in a new install of Fedora Core 1. I tried with KPPP and with the
    network setup utility. Neither can find the modem. So, I used a
    routine from redhat 9 Unleashed that worked perfectly with the same
    kind of modem and same inability to find the modem on a different
    box and RH 9.1. Opened Konsole:

    dmesg | fgrep tty

    Which reported the modem is on ttyS2 at 0x3E8, IRQ 4. (In Win 98,
    it's on Com2 and works fine).

    I then went to create a symlink:

    ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

    This approach worked on RH9, but in Fedora I get a message saying
    /dev/modem already exists. Grrr. Comm programs still can't find the
    modem.

    I tried moving the modem file out of /dev and creating a new modem
    file, but that did not work either, so I put things back the way
    they were. The book doesn't have a plan B and I'm stuck.

    How can I force-change the symlink to point to ttyS2? That or other
    help would really be appreciated.

  2. Re: Can't get symlink to point to modem

    "FinalStraw" wrote in message
    > I have a new external, full hardware modem that I cannot get set up
    > in a new install of Fedora Core 1. I tried with KPPP and with the
    > network setup utility. Neither can find the modem. So, I used a
    > routine from redhat 9 Unleashed that worked perfectly with the same
    > kind of modem and same inability to find the modem on a different
    > box and RH 9.1. Opened Konsole:
    >
    > dmesg | fgrep tty
    >
    > Which reported the modem is on ttyS2 at 0x3E8, IRQ 4. (In Win 98,
    > it's on Com2 and works fine).
    >
    > I then went to create a symlink:
    >
    > ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem
    >
    > This approach worked on RH9, but in Fedora I get a message saying
    > /dev/modem already exists. Grrr. Comm programs still can't find the
    > modem.
    >
    > I tried moving the modem file out of /dev and creating a new modem
    > file, but that did not work either, so I put things back the way
    > they were. The book doesn't have a plan B and I'm stuck.
    >
    > How can I force-change the symlink to point to ttyS2? That or other
    > help would really be appreciated.

    There are two things that you can do :
    Firstly you can post your question in the Ng comp.protocols.ppp as there are
    some very knowledgeable people in that Ng who can answer your question
    properly .

    Secondly , read the step by step instructions for setting up a modem
    connection by Bill Unruh at :
    http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    I had a lot of trouble with my modem when using the Gnome Network
    configuration tool and this article was very helpful , it spells everything
    out to you in plain step by step detail.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  3. Re: Can't get symlink to point to modem

    In article , FinalStraw wrote:

    > How can I force-change the symlink to point to ttyS2? That or other
    > help would really be appreciated.

    Well, use

    ls -l /dev/modem

    to see where it points now.

    ttyS2? Com3?

    (ttyS0 is the (DOS) COM1
    ttyS1 is the (DOS) COM2)

    and does the programme use "/dev/modem"?

+ Reply to Thread