problem with Ximian Evolution - Redhat

This is a discussion on problem with Ximian Evolution - Redhat ; this is about Ximian Evolution 1.4.5 i used it for about 2 1/2 months with no problems. then one day i couldn't send mail any longer. on send, i get a message alert: Error while performing operation: MAIL FROM response ...

  1. problem with Ximian Evolution

    this is about Ximian Evolution 1.4.5

    i used it for about 2 1/2 months with no problems. then one day i
    couldn't send mail any longer. on send, i get a message alert:

    Error while performing operation:
    MAIL FROM response error: Command not implemented

    both of the SMTP servers i use present the same problem, so i've
    tested with several other mail programs with no errors and the
    system administrators have assured me that they've not upgraded
    mail software.

    i've removed and re-installed the evolution rpm to no avail.

    help???

    thanks!
    jack

  2. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:
    > this is about Ximian Evolution 1.4.5
    >
    > i used it for about 2 1/2 months with no problems. then one day i
    > couldn't send mail any longer. on send, i get a message alert:
    >
    > Error while performing operation:
    > MAIL FROM response error: Command not implemented
    >
    > both of the SMTP servers i use present the same problem, so i've
    > tested with several other mail programs with no errors and the
    > system administrators have assured me that they've not upgraded
    > mail software.
    >
    > i've removed and re-installed the evolution rpm to no avail.
    >
    > help???
    >
    > thanks!
    > jack

    I had the same "Microsoftesque" problem. I had to go into the settings
    for my email accounts and under the "Sending Mail" tab, change the
    server type to Sendmail. Bizarre, but true.

    John

  3. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:49:30 +0000, Greenmantle wrote:

    > Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:
    >> this is about Ximian Evolution 1.4.5

    > I had the same "Microsoftesque" problem. I had to go into the settings
    > for my email accounts and under the "Sending Mail" tab, change the
    > server type to Sendmail. Bizarre, but true.
    > John

    thanks john, but i don't run sendmail, thats why i use an external
    SMTP server to handle my outgoing email. :*(

    jack

  4. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:49:30 +0000, Greenmantle wrote:
    >

    >>Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>>this is about Ximian Evolution 1.4.5

    >>I had the same "Microsoftesque" problem. I had to go into the settings
    >>for my email accounts and under the "Sending Mail" tab, change the
    >>server type to Sendmail. Bizarre, but true.
    >>John

    > thanks john, but i don't run sendmail, thats why i use an external
    > SMTP server to handle my outgoing email. :*(
    >
    > jack

    Neither do I, that's why I called the fix "Microsoftesque". Try it.

    John

  5. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:46:56 +0000, Greenmantle wrote:

    > Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:

    >> thanks john, but i don't run sendmail, thats why i use an external SMTP
    >> server to handle my outgoing email. :*(
    >>

    > Neither do I, that's why I called the fix "Microsoftesque". Try it.

    ahh... i should have said that i did give it a try and my outgoing mail
    disappeared into that never-ending bitbucket of lost email.

  6. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:07:25 -0600, Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:

    > help???

    Ironically, the thing that fixed the problem for me was removing all
    comments and blank lines from /etc/hosts

  7. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:24:27 +0000, Ori Bernstein wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:07:25 -0600, Jack E. Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >> help???

    > Ironically, the thing that fixed the problem for me was removing all
    > comments and blank lines from /etc/hosts

    And burying a frog under the full moon.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
    _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  8. Re: problem with Ximian Evolution

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:24:27 +0000, Ori Bernstein wrote:

    > Ironically, the thing that fixed the problem for me was removing all
    > comments and blank lines from /etc/hosts

    well i'll be damned!! you're 100% right on. i had commented out the
    last entry in my /etc/hosts file. i removed it and evolution is
    working just fine!

    thank you **VERY** much Ori!

    jack

+ Reply to Thread