newbie question - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie question - Redhat ; Hi I have Redhat 9.0 up and running. How do I get from the gnome desktop to a command prompt with bash? I feel like a complete idiot! I see lots of docs on bash, but none tell how to ...

  1. newbie question

    Hi I have Redhat 9.0 up and running. How do I get from the gnome
    desktop to a command prompt with bash? I feel like a complete idiot!
    I see lots of docs on bash, but none tell how to get there. I need to
    enter a two line script.

  2. Re: newbie question

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:06:19 -0500, David Hough wrote:

    > Hi I have Redhat 9.0 up and running. How do I get from the gnome desktop
    > to a command prompt with bash? I feel like a complete idiot! I see lots
    > of docs on bash, but none tell how to get there. I need to enter a two
    > line script.

    You can run termanal from the menu. It's under System Tools.

    Or you can hit ctrl-alt-F1 through ctrl-alt-F6 for a new (non-graphical)
    virtual terminal.

    --
    i.m.

  3. Re: newbie question

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:06:19 -0500, David Hough wrote:
    >

    >>Hi I have Redhat 9.0 up and running. How do I get from the gnome desktop
    >>to a command prompt with bash? I feel like a complete idiot! I see lots
    >>of docs on bash, but none tell how to get there. I need to enter a two
    >>line script.

    > You can run termanal from the menu. It's under System Tools.
    >
    > Or you can hit ctrl-alt-F1 through ctrl-alt-F6 for a new (non-graphical)
    > virtual terminal.

    alt-F7 brings you back to the GUI again.

    greets Boris

  4. Re: newbie question

    David Hough wrote:
    > Hi I have Redhat 9.0 up and running. How do I get from the gnome
    > desktop to a command prompt with bash? I feel like a complete idiot!
    > I see lots of docs on bash, but none tell how to get there. I need to
    > enter a two line script.

    Right click on the background then left clic on New Terminal.
    This assumes you have gnome running ok.

+ Reply to Thread