RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed - Redhat

This is a discussion on RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed - Redhat ; I'm having problems with RPM not recognizing that I have certain dependencies installed, because I installed them from source, not from rpm package. For instance, I recently got these two errors: /usr/bin/perl is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14 perl(Getopt::Std) is needed by ...

  1. RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    I'm having problems with RPM not recognizing that I have certain
    dependencies installed, because I installed them from source, not from
    rpm package. For instance, I recently got these two errors:

    /usr/bin/perl is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14
    perl(Getopt::Std) is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14

    The thing is, I have Perl and that Perl module installed. Perl is
    indeed located at /usr/bin/perl and Getopt::Std is where Perl modules
    should be. If I install the rpm using --nodeps the package will work
    fine. Also, I've installed some other things from source and they seem
    to be working - it's just Perl that I'm having problems getting rpm to
    recognize. Anyone have any suggestions? (Besides installing Perl from
    rpm).

  2. Re: RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:24:37 -0500, Cyde Weys wrote:
    > If I install the rpm using --nodeps the package will work fine.

    So what is the problem then?

  3. Re: RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    Cyde Weys writes:

    ] I'm having problems with RPM not recognizing that I have certain
    ]dependencies installed, because I installed them from source, not from
    ]rpm package. For instance, I recently got these two errors:

    ] /usr/bin/perl is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14
    ] perl(Getopt::Std) is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14

    ]The thing is, I have Perl and that Perl module installed. Perl is
    ]indeed located at /usr/bin/perl and Getopt::Std is where Perl modules
    ]should be. If I install the rpm using --nodeps the package will work
    ]fine. Also, I've installed some other things from source and they seem
    ]to be working - it's just Perl that I'm having problems getting rpm to
    ]recognize. Anyone have any suggestions? (Besides installing Perl from
    ]rpm).

    rpm uses a database to check if things are installed-- it does not go
    searching the disk.
    So, in your case you need to use nodeps. It would be better if installed
    from rpm since you will keep getting these problems.

  4. Re: RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    Cyde Weys wrote:

    > I'm having problems with RPM not recognizing that I have certain
    > dependencies installed, because I installed them from source, not from
    > rpm package. For instance, I recently got these two errors:
    >
    > /usr/bin/perl is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14
    > perl(Getopt::Std) is needed by gnupg-1.0.7-14
    >
    > The thing is, I have Perl and that Perl module installed. Perl is
    > indeed located at /usr/bin/perl and Getopt::Std is where Perl modules
    > should be. If I install the rpm using --nodeps the package will work
    > fine. Also, I've installed some other things from source and they seem
    > to be working - it's just Perl that I'm having problems getting rpm to
    > recognize. Anyone have any suggestions? (Besides installing Perl from
    > rpm).

    Google for "checkinstall". It will let you make from source, but instead of
    "make install" you type "checkinstall make install" and it will generate an
    rpm or - at your demand - a apt-get package. Then you can install the
    custom package with rpm -i/U with the benefit of integrating it into your
    rpm database.
    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*your*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.3-3mdkpkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

  5. Re: RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    Lee Miller wrote:

    > So what is the problem then?

    I can't use any of the automatic dependency-resolvers like up2date
    because it thinks I don't have Perl and tries to re-install over my
    compiled version.

  6. Re: RPM not recognizing dependencies that are installed

    Cyde Weys uttered the immortal words:

    >> So what is the problem then?

    > I can't use any of the automatic dependency-resolvers like up2date
    > because it thinks I don't have Perl and tries to re-install over my
    > compiled version.

    When you install a system you have 2 choices:

    1. Forget the package manager and compile everything from source.

    2. Only use the package manager. If you have to build from source, make your
    own package to install via the package manager.

    As you've found, mixing and matching is asking for trouble. It might be
    possible to build dummy packages to fool RPM into thinking that you've
    installed the packages with it. I don't know RPM well enough to be able to
    say whether that would work.

    --
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread