binding a mount at bootup - Redhat

This is a discussion on binding a mount at bootup - Redhat ; I have /home/opt dir on raid disk. and /opt is on the hdd that the boot dir is on. a programme i have looks for just /opt as the directory, but it is actually installed in /home/opt -- i don't ...

  1. binding a mount at bootup

    I have /home/opt dir on raid disk. and /opt is on the hdd that the boot dir
    is on.

    a programme i have looks for just /opt as the directory, but it is actually
    installed in /home/opt -- i don't want to install the programme on the
    other drive (in /opt) as it will use up too much space - its a mail
    programme)

    i can manually bind the mount

    ie mount --bind /home/opt /opt

    what do i have to add to the fstab file to have the bind occur at bootup??

    or is it the mnt table file??

    any help appreciated

    Ken

  2. Re: binding a mount at bootup

    "Ken" writes:
    >I have /home/opt dir on raid disk. and /opt is on the hdd that the boot dir
    >is on.
    >
    >a programme i have looks for just /opt as the directory, but it is actually
    >installed in /home/opt -- i don't want to install the programme on the
    >other drive (in /opt) as it will use up too much space - its a mail
    >programme)
    >
    >i can manually bind the mount
    >
    >ie mount --bind /home/opt /opt
    >
    >what do i have to add to the fstab file to have the bind occur at bootup??
    >
    >or is it the mnt table file??
    >
    >any help appreciated
    >
    >Ken

    I think a symbolic link would provide what you wish much simpler.

    ln -s /home/opt /opt

    scott

  3. Re: binding a mount at bootup

    Thanks - any hints on how i do that or are you going to make me go away and
    read that darn book again

    Thanks

    Ken
    "Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
    news:8N31c.19249$Di1.14342@newssvr29.news.prodigy. com...
    > "Ken" writes:
    > >I have /home/opt dir on raid disk. and /opt is on the hdd that the boot

    dir
    > >is on.
    > >
    > >a programme i have looks for just /opt as the directory, but it is

    actually
    > >installed in /home/opt -- i don't want to install the programme on the
    > >other drive (in /opt) as it will use up too much space - its a mail
    > >programme)
    > >
    > >i can manually bind the mount
    > >
    > >ie mount --bind /home/opt /opt
    > >
    > >what do i have to add to the fstab file to have the bind occur at

    bootup??

    > >or is it the mnt table file??
    > >
    > >any help appreciated
    > >
    > >Ken
    > >

    > I think a symbolic link would provide what you wish much simpler.
    >
    > ln -s /home/opt /opt
    >
    > scott

+ Reply to Thread