ES V3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on ES V3 - Redhat ; I am very new to linux and when I installed it I configured the system to come up with X-Windows. How do I turn that off? Thanx...

  1. ES V3

    I am very new to linux and when I installed it I configured the system to
    come up with X-Windows.

    How do I turn that off?

    Thanx

  2. Re: ES V3

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:19:24 -0500, Gerald Ray wrote:

    > I am very new to linux and when I installed it I configured the system
    > to come up with X-Windows.
    >
    > How do I turn that off?

    As root read and edit /etc/inittab, change 'id:5:initdefault:' to read
    'id:3:initdefault:'

    You should take the time to read the manuals also.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  3. Re: ES V3

    Now that you bring that up...

    I am looking for a place to download good manuals..

    I do not want to download the "How to Administer..."

    I know the theory behind how to manage groups etc..

    What I need to know is how a EXT3 partition is different from and EXT2, also
    how the partition systems work. When I install a program it goes to a
    specific partition and how that relates to other partitions..

    I have not been able to find this type of information...

    "Come on this is your chance to convert a MCSE2000 Guy! Show me the Power!!
    :-)"

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.03.01.20.26.33.764381@127.0.0.1...
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:19:24 -0500, Gerald Ray wrote:
    >
    > > I am very new to linux and when I installed it I configured the system
    > > to come up with X-Windows.
    > >
    > > How do I turn that off?

    > As root read and edit /etc/inittab, change 'id:5:initdefault:' to read
    > 'id:3:initdefault:'
    >
    > You should take the time to read the manuals also.
    >

    > --
    > Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    > Copyright remains with the author

  4. Re: ES V3

    Gerald Ray wrote:
    > I am looking for a place to download good manuals..

    I wouldn't bother - sounds like you need a book on unix admin.

    > I do not want to download the "How to Administer..."

    Well, you'd better, because the questions you are asking are covered by
    books on unix administration. I'd recommend an O'Reilly on network
    administration in particular. Covers more than the cover says.

    > I know the theory behind how to manage groups etc..

    Groovy. But do you know if you are supposed to put new users in a users
    group or in their own private group, and why? If not, then you need a
    book on sysadminning.

    > What I need to know is how a EXT3 partition is different from and EXT2, also

    It's ext2 rewritten to have a journal (placed anywhere you like).

    > how the partition systems work.

    Eh? No parse. There are no "partition systems". Maybe you are asking
    about common partitioning decisions? See the HardDisk Partitioning HOWTO.

    > When I install a program it goes to a
    > specific partition

    You mean "directory", not "partition".

    > and how that relates to other partitions..

    Since the first statement was false, the second is meaningless, so I'm
    puzzled. I think I would be puzzled even if you substituted partition
    by directory.

    > I have not been able to find this type of information...

    Then you need a book on finding information. I think you want to know
    about the unix/linux file system hierarchy standard. Search in google!

    As above.

    > "Come on this is your chance to convert a MCSE2000 Guy! Show me the Power!!

    Read the unix admin shelf at the local bookstore. Buy coffee too!

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread