I have a problem with connecting to my ISP with RH 9 and it is driving me
nuts.

What is happening is that when I go to connect to my IPS using the Gnome
Network tool , I keep getting the error messages "Can not activate network
device " and "Failed to activate - error 8 "

The modem I have is a full hardware modem , DynaLink 56K , V90 with a
Rockwell chipset and I have never had any problems with it connecting to my
ISP , the problem I have has something to do with the scripts that create
the connection to my ISP.

Before , I could connect to my ISP without any problems , up until last week
when I used Up2date and updated everything to kernel 2.4.20.30.9 and started
to set up a network with my other computer which is also running RH 9.

This problem started with being able to connect , but getting all phone
noise static after being connect and after trying to stop the phone line
noise , I can't even connect now.

I can't connect using the Gnome Network tool , I can connect using KPPP ,
but after the connection , it fails at the authorisation script / process
and I can connect using ppp and the text scripts , but I can't web brows or
use mail /news.


I have tried everything , deleted all the Lan settings I put in , except
127.0.0.1 , added another modem device , remove modem devices , remove modem
adapter , add modem adapter , did the whole lot again by deleting the modem
device and adapter , shutdown , unplugged the modem , boot up , shutdown
again and got RH to detect the modem again.

I have also checked all the scripts like ifcfg-pp0 , ifdown-ppp , ifup-ppp,
network functions , network-scripts wdial.conf . ppp/peers/ wvdial
, ifcfg-

I also have been getting a problem of trying to edit the modem properties in
Gnome Network Configuration tool , when I go to change some of the settings
, they won't stick , and they revert back to their previous settings , no
matter what I do , save the changes , delete /edit the setting in different
ways , start / stopped network services , rebooted the system ....etc

I have finally got my modem settings back to the original ones before I
started having these problems.

After all this , I ended up checking the system logs and what they show is
that when I go to connect , the program WvDial version 1.53 that reads the
text file , wvdial.conf doesn't read the fields for ISP phone number , user
name , user password ,even though these parameters are listed in
wvidial.conf.

This is what the system log shows after trying to connect using the Gnome
Network tool
---------------------------------------------

Feb 29 07:06:01 localhost ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/ttyS0 at
115200
Feb 29 07:06:01 localhost pppd[5056]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Warning: section [Dialer ppp0] does
not exist in wvdial.conf.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Initializing modem.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Sending: ATZ
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: ATZ
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: OK
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Modem initialized.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
valid phone number.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
valid login name.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost wvdial[5071]: Configuration does not specify a
valid password.
Feb 29 07:06:02 localhost pppd[5056]: Connect script failed
Feb 29 07:06:03 localhost pppd[5056]: Exit.

--------------------------------------------

It appears that maybe one of the configuration files along the way hasn't
retained the settings for phone number , login name and password , even
though they have been entered and saved using the Gnome Network
Configuration tool,

Here is two of the main files
-----------------------------
File : ifcfg-

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Modem
DEVICE=ppp0
BOOTPROTO=dialup
CCP=off
PC=off
AC=off
BSDCOMP=off
VJ=on
VJCCOMP=off
LINESPEED=115200
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
IDLETIMEOUT=600
PROVIDER=**** # removed for posting
DEFROUTE=yes
PERSIST=no
PAPNAME=**** # removed for posting
WVDIALSECT=**** # removed for posting
MODEMNAME=Modem0
DEMAND=no

---------------------------
File : wvdial.conf

Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 2
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM2
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
[Dialer iinet]
Username = ******* # removed for posting
Password = ****** # removed for posting
Phone = ******* # removed for posting
Stupid Mode = 1
Init3 = M1
Inherits = Modem0
------------------------------

I have spent all night for the last 2 nights in a row trying to fix this
problem and I stuffed if I know what to do and it is really starting to piss
me off , I have never had any problems like this before.

Can anybody tell me how to fix the problem or at least give me some idea of
what's going on with all these config files.

Thanks.



--
Sandgroper
----------------------------------
Remove KNICKERS to Email
steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au