Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions! - Redhat ; Hi, I only yesterday installed Red Hat 9 on my system. Everything looks fine except I cannot access my Windows XP partitions (NTFS 5). Already while installing linux I wasn't offered a mounting point for /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2, where my ...

  1. Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions!

    Hi,

    I only yesterday installed Red Hat 9 on my system. Everything looks fine
    except I cannot access my Windows XP partitions (NTFS 5). Already while
    installing linux I wasn't offered a mounting point for /dev/hda1 or
    /dev/hda2, where my Windows data lies.

    What can I do? My kernel info (KDE control center) says that my 2.4.
    kernel offers NTFS support. This is enabled.

    So anybody knows where the problem is?

    Any help would be appreciated as I am new to Linux.

    Thanks!
    Andreas

  2. Re: Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions!

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:07:48 +0100, Andreas Schwartmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I only yesterday installed Red Hat 9 on my system. Everything looks fine
    > except I cannot access my Windows XP partitions (NTFS 5). Already while
    > installing linux I wasn't offered a mounting point for /dev/hda1 or
    > /dev/hda2, where my Windows data lies.
    >
    > What can I do? My kernel info (KDE control center) says that my 2.4.
    > kernel offers NTFS support. This is enabled.
    >
    > So anybody knows where the problem is?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated as I am new to Linux.

    Red Hat does not support NTFS 'out of the box' you have a number of
    choices, the easiest on is to visit;

    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

  3. Re: Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions!

    I can't find anything in the KDE Control Center about the Linux kernel. I
    ran across a display of kernel attributes somewhere recently, but now I
    can't find it. Tell me where you found it! :-)

    To find out what filesystems are supported on your system:

    more /proc/filesystems

    I installed RH9 recently myself, and NTFS isn't in it. You have to rebuild
    your kernel in order to get it. The NTFS support in the 2.4 kernel,
    especially the writing part, is experimental and you can take your chances
    with it if you want, but Red Hat advises against it.

    When I partitioned my system, I created a smaller vfat (FAT32) partition for
    transferring files between XP and Linux. The kernel in RH9 includes support
    for vfat, and read and write both are stable.

    So you might consider redefining your partitions to include a vfat
    partition, even if it means you have to re-install RH9.

    "Andreas Schwartmann" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I only yesterday installed Red Hat 9 on my system. Everything looks fine
    > except I cannot access my Windows XP partitions (NTFS 5). Already while
    > installing linux I wasn't offered a mounting point for /dev/hda1 or
    > /dev/hda2, where my Windows data lies.
    >
    > What can I do? My kernel info (KDE control center) says that my 2.4.
    > kernel offers NTFS support. This is enabled.
    >
    > So anybody knows where the problem is?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated as I am new to Linux.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Andreas

  4. Re: Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions!

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:07:48 +0100, Andreas Schwartmann wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I only yesterday installed Red Hat 9 on my system. Everything looks fine
    >>except I cannot access my Windows XP partitions (NTFS 5). Already while
    >>installing linux I wasn't offered a mounting point for /dev/hda1 or
    >>/dev/hda2, where my Windows data lies.
    >>
    >>What can I do? My kernel info (KDE control center) says that my 2.4.
    >>kernel offers NTFS support. This is enabled.
    >>
    >>So anybody knows where the problem is?
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated as I am new to Linux.

    > Red Hat does not support NTFS 'out of the box' you have a number of
    > choices, the easiest on is to visit;
    >
    > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks, that's done the job!

    One thing remains: I can mount my windows partitions now, but when I try
    to enter them when logged in as normal user, my konquerer tells me
    "locked directory". I can only access the partitions as a root.

    Where can I give myself permission to enter those locked Windows partitions?

    Thanks!
    Andreas

  5. Re: Help! Cannot mount my NTFS partitions!

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:22:57 +0100, Andreas Schwartmann wrote:

    > One thing remains: I can mount my windows partitions now, but when I try
    > to enter them when logged in as normal user, my konquerer tells me
    > "locked directory". I can only access the partitions as a root.
    >
    > Where can I give myself permission to enter those locked Windows
    > partitions?

    As root modify the /etc/fstab file, example below;

    dev/hda1 /mnt/win_ntfs ntfs noauto,users,ro 0 0

    Read 'man mount' and 'man fstab' for the details.

    --
    Posted under the XFree86 v.1.0 license
    Copyright remains with the author

+ Reply to Thread