Telnet not working - Redhat

This is a discussion on Telnet not working - Redhat ; I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. ...

  1. Telnet not working

    I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    activating it.

    Can you help?

    Chris

  2. Re: Telnet not working

    1. xinetd is responsible for handling telnet incoming sessions. you might
    have to 'undisable it' from:
    /etc/xinetd.d/telnet

    2. telnet uses tcp port 23....so you may have to make sure that your
    firewall allows connections on port 23 and you are granted access in
    hosts.allow.

    3. telnet is an unsecure protocol. using ssh is a better alternative. much
    better.

    "Chris" wrote in message
    news:cc986488.0402221233.6f99fe41@posting.google.c om...
    > I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    > problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    > ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    > activating it.
    >
    > Can you help?
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: Telnet not working

    Chris wrote:

    > I am able to
    > ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > is.

    First you must install the telnet-server package, then you can enable
    the service by "chkconfig telnet on" or with the graphical Service
    Management tool.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  4. Re: Telnet not working

    "Chris" wrote in message
    news:cc986488.0402221233.6f99fe41@posting.google.c om...
    > I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    > problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    > ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    > activating it.

    There may be a few reasons...
    -I think recent red hat installations allow you to install a firewall.
    Perhaps you have a firewall blocking access?
    -Depending on how you installed red hat, the telnet service may not have
    been installed
    -If the telnet service was installed, it may not be enabled to startup when
    booting (I think its off by default ?).

    If you have the service configuration gui installed, from the menu, choose:
    System settings / Server settings / Services. Hopefully you will find a
    'telnet' checkbox that you can tick on.

  5. Re: Telnet not working

    "Denz" writes:

    >"Chris" wrote in message
    >news:cc986488.0402221233.6f99fe41@posting.google.c om...
    >> I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    >> problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    >> ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    >> to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    >> is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    >> activating it.

    >There may be a few reasons...
    >-I think recent red hat installations allow you to install a firewall.
    >Perhaps you have a firewall blocking access?
    >-Depending on how you installed red hat, the telnet service may not have
    >been installed
    >-If the telnet service was installed, it may not be enabled to startup when
    >booting (I think its off by default ?).
    >
    >If you have the service configuration gui installed, from the menu, choose:
    >System settings / Server settings / Services. Hopefully you will find a
    >'telnet' checkbox that you can tick on.

    or just, as root, type:

    # chkconfig telnet on

    scott

  6. Re: Telnet not working

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:21:17 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
    wrote:

    >"Denz" writes:
    >>
    >>"Chris" wrote in message
    >>news:cc986488.0402221233.6f99fe41@posting.google.c om...
    >>> I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    >>> problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    >>> ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    >>> to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    >>> is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    >>> activating it.

    >>There may be a few reasons...
    >>-I think recent red hat installations allow you to install a firewall.
    >>Perhaps you have a firewall blocking access?
    >>-Depending on how you installed red hat, the telnet service may not have
    >>been installed
    >>-If the telnet service was installed, it may not be enabled to startup when
    >>booting (I think its off by default ?).
    >>
    >>If you have the service configuration gui installed, from the menu, choose:
    >>System settings / Server settings / Services. Hopefully you will find a
    >>'telnet' checkbox that you can tick on.
    >>

    >or just, as root, type:
    >
    ># chkconfig telnet on
    >
    >scott

    or,
    cd /etc/xinetd.d
    change disable from yes to no in the telnet file.

    Arthur

  7. Re: Telnet not working

    On 22 Feb 2004, Chris wrote:

    > I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    > problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    > ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    > activating it.
    >
    > Can you help?
    >
    > Chris

    Don't use telnet .. try to connect using ssh.

  8. Re: Telnet not working

    Daffy D. writes:
    >On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:21:17 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
    >wrote:

    >>or just, as root, type:
    >>
    >># chkconfig telnet on
    >>
    >>scott

    >or,
    >cd /etc/xinetd.d
    >change disable from yes to no in the telnet file.
    >
    >Arthur

    hand editing the configuration files is severely discouraged. That's
    why we _have_ chkconfig(1m).

    scott

  9. Re: Telnet not working

    Niemand writes:
    >On 22 Feb 2004, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    >> problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    >> ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    >> to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    >> is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    >> activating it.
    >>
    >> Can you help?
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    >Don't use telnet .. try to connect using ssh.

    This is, of course, a non-responsive answer. His question was not
    "Should I use telnet", but rather "how do I enable telnet". There
    are myriad reasons why one may wish to use telnet instead of ssh in certain
    environments.

    scott

  10. Re: Telnet not working

    Scott Lurndal wrote:
    > Daffy D. writes:
    >
    >>or,
    >>cd /etc/xinetd.d
    >>change disable from yes to no in the telnet file.

    > hand editing the configuration files is severely discouraged.

    By whom? And most of all, why?
    I can't see any reason for that.

    Michael

  11. Re: Telnet not working

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > Niemand writes:
    > >On 22 Feb 2004, Chris wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've gone through all my books but I can't get the anser to my
    > >> problem. I connected my red hat server to the network. I am able to
    > >> ping it on the network but am unable to telnet to it. I think I have
    > >> to turn on a service, or something but am unsure what the service name
    > >> is. I know telnet uses port 23 because it but am unfamilar with
    > >> activating it.
    > >>
    > >> Can you help?
    > >>
    > >> Chris
    > >>

    > >Don't use telnet .. try to connect using ssh.
    > >

    > This is, of course, a non-responsive answer. His question was not
    > "Should I use telnet", but rather "how do I enable telnet". There
    > are myriad reasons why one may wish to use telnet instead of ssh in certain
    > environments.
    >
    > scott

    You're right there. But reading his question it was only to access the
    system using port 23 and not other ports. So why wasting time on changing
    a file while ssh is more secure to log on.

    Patrick

  12. Re: Telnet not working

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:33:46 +0100, Michael Hofmann wrote:

    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >> Daffy D. writes:
    >>
    >>>or,
    >>>cd /etc/xinetd.d
    >>>change disable from yes to no in the telnet file.

    >> hand editing the configuration files is severely discouraged.

    > By whom? And most of all, why?
    > I can't see any reason for that.

    I was going to say that too... but decided against it. I edit my config
    files by hand all the time.

    --
    i.m.

  13. Re: Telnet not working

    "Michael Hofmann" wrote in message
    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    > > Daffy D. writes:
    > >
    > >>or,
    > >>cd /etc/xinetd.d
    > >>change disable from yes to no in the telnet file.

    > > hand editing the configuration files is severely discouraged.

    > By whom? And most of all, why?
    > I can't see any reason for that.
    >
    > Michael

    consistency, especially amogst a number of administrators and between
    upgrades.

    less likely to introduce casual errors.....especially if r00t.

    cool thing for using chkconfig over manual soft linking is the automatic
    setting of S/K links and relative priorities

    easier to automate. I would rather use chkconfig then sed or perl.

    if i have to do a job more than twice and no tool is available for it i
    usually end up putting together a utility script and throw that in as a
    standard procedure.

    Brendon

  14. Re: Telnet not working

    "starvinmarvin" writes:

    >"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
    >news:NVv_b.1789$Hc3.932@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com ...
    >> "Denz" writes:
    >> >
    >> >"Chris" wrote in message
    >> >news:cc986488.0402221233.6f99fe41@posting.google.c om...
    >> >
    >> >There may be a few reasons...
    >> >-I think recent red hat installations allow you to install a firewall.
    >> >Perhaps you have a firewall blocking access?
    >> >-Depending on how you installed red hat, the telnet service may not have
    >> >been installed
    >> >-If the telnet service was installed, it may not be enabled to startup

    >when
    >> >booting (I think its off by default ?).
    >> >
    >> >If you have the service configuration gui installed, from the menu,

    >choose:
    >> >System settings / Server settings / Services. Hopefully you will find a
    >> >'telnet' checkbox that you can tick on.
    >> >

    >> or just, as root, type:
    >>
    >> # chkconfig telnet on
    >>
    >> scott

    >Try this...I believe RH disables telnet bt default...
    >
    >Configuring telnet;
    >
    >1) modify '/etc/xinetd.d/telnet';
    >
    ># more /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
    ># default: on
    ># unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
    >service telnet
    >{
    > flags = REUSE
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > user = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    > log_on_failure += USERID
    > disable = yes <<<< change to "no"
    >}
    >

    >2) stop/start xinetd;
    >
    ># /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
    ># /etc/init.d/xinetd start

    Well, read further up and you'll see the chkconfig(1m) command
    being used which does all of the above for you. You shouldn't be
    hand editing configuration files.

    Instead of adding pts entries to /etc/securettys, just log in as
    a regular user and su to root. Adding pts entries to securettys
    should be avoided.

    scott

  15. Re: Telnet not working

    I believe I have turned telnet service on but I'm now having problems
    with the connection.

    This is what's happening......When I ping from the linux server I get
    a response and am immediately able to ping from the remote computer to
    the linux server. About 5 mins after the last successful ping, I am
    no longer able to ping to the linux server from the remote computer.
    On the linux server is some kindo of message about""ip_tables:
    Netfilter core team ip_tables:".

    I am able to restablish connection only when I ping from the linux
    server but then the whole cycle repeats after 5 mins of no network
    activity.

    What's going on? What are ip_tables and how does it effect my
    connection?

    -Chris

    I appreciate everyone's input.

  16. Re: Telnet not working

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:27:34 -0800, Chris thoughtfully wrote:

    > I believe I have turned telnet service on but I'm now having problems
    > with the connection.
    >
    > This is what's happening......When I ping from the linux server I get
    > a response and am immediately able to ping from the remote computer to
    > the linux server. About 5 mins after the last successful ping, I am
    > no longer able to ping to the linux server from the remote computer.
    > On the linux server is some kindo of message about""ip_tables:
    > Netfilter core team ip_tables:".
    >
    > I am able to restablish connection only when I ping from the linux
    > server but then the whole cycle repeats after 5 mins of no network
    > activity.
    >
    > What's going on? What are ip_tables and how does it effect my
    > connection?
    >
    > -Chris
    >
    > I appreciate everyone's input.

    Check for loose physical connectors. Check iptables on remote and
    servers for ICMP rejections.

+ Reply to Thread