Fedora/Gnome/Nautilus questions - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora/Gnome/Nautilus questions - Redhat ; I just updated my system from RH7.2 to Fedora Core 1/kernel-2.4.24 and have it working fairly well. Previously, I had been using XFCE-3 for my desktop but I decided to give gnome a try now since I've never used it ...

  1. Fedora/Gnome/Nautilus questions

    I just updated my system from RH7.2 to Fedora Core 1/kernel-2.4.24 and
    have it working fairly well. Previously, I had been using XFCE-3 for my
    desktop but I decided to give gnome a try now since I've never used it
    before.

    I have a problem that seems to be related to gnome/nautilus and it's
    automounting feature. Whenever I'm logged in and using gnome, I
    constantly get syslog messages of this sort:

    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: ^IFiltered to period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: ^IFiltered to period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: ^IFiltered to period 19, offset f
    Feb 20 10:39:39 starfleet kernel: (scsi0:A:6:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f

    This happens CONTINUOUSLY while I am using gnome. As soon as I log out,
    they stop. If I am interpreting this correctly, the messages are
    referring to device 6 on SCSI bus 0, which is my Teac CDR-RW drive:

    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) *
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) 'IOMEGA ' 'ZIP 100 ' 'E.08' Removable Disk
    0,4,0 4) 'DEC ' 'DLT2000 15/30 GB' '840B' Removable Tape
    0,5,0 5) 'DEC ' 'TZ88 (C) DEC' 'CD50' Removable Tape
    0,6,0 6) 'TEAC ' 'CD-R58S ' '1.0M' Removable CD-ROM
    0,7,0 7) *

    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) 'SEAGATE ' 'SX4464524 ' 'B410' Disk
    1,1,0 101) 'SEAGATE ' 'SX4464524 ' 'B410' Disk
    1,2,0 102) 'SEAGATE ' 'SX4464524 ' 'B410' Disk
    1,3,0 103) 'SEAGATE ' 'SX4464524 ' 'B410' Disk
    1,4,0 104) 'SEAGATE ' 'SX4464524 ' 'B410' Disk
    1,5,0 105) *
    1,6,0 106) *
    1,7,0 107) *

    scsibus2:
    2,0,0 200) 'E-IDE ' 'CD-ROM 48X/TKU ' 'T40 ' Removable CD-ROM
    2,1,0 201) *
    2,2,0 202) *
    2,3,0 203) *
    2,4,0 204) *

    I only use the Teac drive for writing CDs; the E-IDE drive is used for
    reading. There is no fstab entry for the Teac drive, but adding an
    appropriate line makes no difference. The Teac drive is working properly;
    eg, it can write CDs without problems. If I stick a CD into the drive,
    the messages stop.

    My question: how can I stop Nautilus (I assume it is the culprit here)
    from looking at this drive and generating the error messages. If Nautilus
    is not the culprit, what is, and how can I stop it from making these
    error messages? Or should I just leave a CD in the drive and forget about
    it?

    My second question is on USB. To whit, it doesn't recognize devices. The
    hubs are detected:

    VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
    Manufacturer: Linux 2.4.24 ehci_hcd
    Serial Number: 00:0f.2
    Speed: 480Mb/s (high)
    Number of Ports: 4
    Bandwidth allocated: 0 / 800 (0%)
    Total number of interrupt requests: 0
    Total number of isochronous requests: 0
    USB Version: 2.00
    Device Class: 09(hub )
    Device Subclass: 00
    Device Protocol: 01
    Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
    Number of Configurations: 1

    Config Number: 1
    Number of Interfaces: 1
    Attributes: 40
    MaxPower Needed: 0mA

    Interface Number: 0
    Name: hub
    Alternate Number: 0
    Class: 09(hub )
    Sub Class: 0
    Protocol: 0
    Number of Endpoints: 1

    Endpoint Address: 81
    Direction: in
    Attribute: 3
    Type: Int.
    Max Packet Size: 2
    Interval: 256ms

    USB UHCI Root Hub
    Serial Number: e400
    Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
    Number of Ports: 2
    Bandwidth allocated: 0 / 900 (0%)
    Total number of interrupt requests: 0
    Total number of isochronous requests: 0
    USB Version: 1.00
    Device Class: 09(hub )
    Device Subclass: 00
    Device Protocol: 00
    Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
    Number of Configurations: 1

    Config Number: 1
    Number of Interfaces: 1
    Attributes: 40
    MaxPower Needed: 0mA

    Interface Number: 0
    Name: hub
    Alternate Number: 0
    Class: 09(hub )
    Sub Class: 0
    Protocol: 0
    Number of Endpoints: 1

    Endpoint Address: 81
    Direction: in
    Attribute: 3
    Type: Int.
    Max Packet Size: 8
    Interval: 255ms

    USB UHCI Root Hub
    Serial Number: e000
    Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
    Number of Ports: 2
    Bandwidth allocated: 0 / 900 (0%)
[...]

    The modules are loaded:

    [root@starfleet root]# lsmod|grep usb
    usb-storage 35700 0 (unused)
    scsi_mod 108832 6 (autoclean) [usb-storage sg sr_mod st ide-scsi aic7xxx sd_mod]
    usb-uhci 26480 0 (unused)
    usbcore 77676 1 [scanner usb-storage ehci-hcd hid usb-uhci]

    But devices attached to the USB busses are not detected and remain
    non-functional.

    I have an Epson USB scanner, a couple flash drives, a memory stick
    reader, a camera and a PDA that all worked fine with RH7.2
    but now nothing works.

    Finally, I can't get xpdf to work. The precompiled version installed with
    Fedora complains about not finding libt1.so.5, but t1lib does not seem to
    be supplied with Fedora. Ok, so I track it down, build it and install.
    Now xpdf spews a new complaint:

    xpdf: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
    xpdf: relocation error: xpdf: undefined symbol: _Znwj

    Yeah, whatever. So I build a new xpdf from the src.rpm and it *STILL*
    complains:

    xpdf: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
    xpdf: relocation error: xpdf: undefined symbol: _Znwj

    Alright, be that way. Forget the RPMs. I download xpdf-3.0 sources and
    try to build from those:

    ../configure
    [...]
    configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
    pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, pdftoppm, and pdfimages,
    but not xpdf

    Folks, X is installed:

    [john@starfleet incoming]$ rpm -qa|grep XFree
    XFree86-xfs-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-xdm-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-devel-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-twm-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-base-fonts-4.3.0-42
    XFree86-tools-4.3.0-42

    And so is lesstif:

    [john@starfleet incoming]$ rpm -qa|grep lesstif
    lesstif-0.93.36-4
    lesstif-devel-0.93.36-4

    I try pointing it directly to the X and lesstif libs and includes, but it
    still gives the same error.

    Any ideas?

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

  2. Re: Fedora/Gnome/Nautilus questions

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:07:39 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

    > I just updated my system from RH7.2 to Fedora Core 1/kernel-2.4.24 and
    > have it working fairly well. Previously, I had been using XFCE-3 for my
    > desktop but I decided to give gnome a try now since I've never used it
    > before.
    >
    > I have a problem that seems to be related to gnome/nautilus and it's
    > automounting feature. Whenever I'm logged in and using gnome, I
    > constantly get syslog messages of this sort:
    >
    > This happens CONTINUOUSLY while I am using gnome. As soon as I log out,
    > they stop. If I am interpreting this correctly, the messages are
    > referring to device 6 on SCSI bus 0, which is my Teac CDR-RW drive: My
    > question: how can I stop Nautilus (I assume it is the culprit here) from
    > looking at this drive and generating the error messages. If Nautilus is
    > not the culprit, what is, and how can I stop it from making these error
    > messages? Or should I just leave a CD in the drive and forget about it?

    The obvious thing to do is to disable "Mount CD when inserted" in
    Preferences-> CD Properties. Magicdev is the daemon that does
    automounting, but it is usually better behaving.

    > My second question is on USB. To whit, it doesn't recognize devices.
    > The hubs are detected:
    >
    > The modules are loaded:
    >
    > But devices attached to the USB busses are not detected and remain
    > non-functional.
    >
    > I have an Epson USB scanner, a couple flash drives, a memory stick
    > reader, a camera and a PDA that all worked fine with RH7.2 but now
    > nothing works.

    Investigate the hotplug subsystem -- perhaps it's not configured properly.
    Test the devices by loading modules by hand at first.

    > Finally, I can't get xpdf to work. The precompiled version installed
    > with Fedora complains about not finding libt1.so.5, but t1lib does not
    > seem to be supplied with Fedora. Ok, so I track it down, build it and
    > install. Now xpdf spews a new complaint:

    Remove lesstif from your system and install openmotif (and its development
    package, if required). Even better, consider using gpdf instead of xpdf
    (which should work without problems nevertheless).

    --
    Vladimir

  3. Re: Fedora/Gnome/Nautilus questions

    On 2004-02-23, Vladimir Florinski wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:07:39 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

    [regarding incessant CD messages in syslog]

    > The obvious thing to do is to disable "Mount CD when inserted" in
    > Preferences-> CD Properties. Magicdev is the daemon that does
    > automounting, but it is usually better behaving.

    I did that, but all it seems to have done is disable automounting on the
    ATAPI CD drive; the SCSI CDR/RW drive is still being probed.

    In the meantime, I've found that leaving a CD in the drive shuts it up, so
    that's what I'm doing now.

    >> My second question is on USB. To whit, it doesn't recognize devices.
    >> The hubs are detected:
    >>
    >> The modules are loaded:
    >>
    >> But devices attached to the USB busses are not detected and remain
    >> non-functional.
    >>
    >> I have an Epson USB scanner, a couple flash drives, a memory stick
    >> reader, a camera and a PDA that all worked fine with RH7.2 but now
    >> nothing works.

    > Investigate the hotplug subsystem -- perhaps it's not configured properly.
    > Test the devices by loading modules by hand at first.

    Ok, I've fooled around a bit and now my scanner and USB flash drives are
    recognized, but the PDA still isn't. Or rather, it shows up in
    /proc/bus/usb/devices and the visor module loads, but jpilot, Kpilot, etc
    done recongize it:

    Feb 24 15:18:03 starfleet kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:0f.0-1.2, assigned address 13
    Feb 24 15:18:03 starfleet kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clie 4.x converter detected
    Feb 24 15:18:03 starfleet kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 814
    Feb 24 15:18:03 starfleet kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clie 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
    Feb 24 15:18:03 starfleet kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clie 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0f.0-1.2 address 13
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clie 4.x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clie 4.x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: unable to read partition table
    Feb 24 15:19:04 starfleet kernel: Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

    jpilot dies with this error:

    pi_bind Invalid argument
    Check your serial port and settings
    Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
    Finished

    >> Finally, I can't get xpdf to work. The precompiled version installed
    >> with Fedora complains about not finding libt1.so.5, but t1lib does not
    >> seem to be supplied with Fedora. Ok, so I track it down, build it and
    >> install. Now xpdf spews a new complaint:

    > Remove lesstif from your system and install openmotif (and its development
    > package, if required).

    Done. Same problem. I ended up building xpdf-3.0 in a RH7.3 VMware
    virtual machine and copying the binary back onto the main system. Not
    pretty, but it worked.

    > Even better, consider using gpdf instead of xpdf
    > (which should work without problems nevertheless).

    Sure, but Mozilla wants to use xpdf for pdf display in the browser.

    Another question: if I try to add a new application to the main panel
    drawer (the one correspnding to the Windwos "Start" menu) using MB2 ->
    "Entire Menu" -> "Add new item to this menu" it fails with:

    Cannot save menu item to disk

    Details: Error writing file 'applications:/Accessories/whatever.desktop':
    Unsupported operation

    Where exactly is it trying to create this file? I'm using the default
    Bluecurve/metacity WM/enviroment. Isn't there a window manager config
    file someplace I can just edit and be done with it?

    Thanks...

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

+ Reply to Thread