FC6 does not find SATA disk on install - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC6 does not find SATA disk on install - Redhat ; I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded. I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box. I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and create an ext2 disk partition. I created ...

  1. FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.

    I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    create an ext2 disk partition.
    I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.

    When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    on which to create new file systems."

    The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.

    I see no reason why this shouldn't work.
    (FWIW, Windows XP Pro installs just fine on the disk.)

    Thoughts/experience?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In linux.redhat Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."

    I would expect SATA to be detected without a problem.

    " Normally, you only need to press [Enter] to boot. Watch the boot messages
    to see if the Linux kernel detects your hardware. If your hardware is
    properly detected, please continue to the next section. If it does not
    properly detect your hardware, you may need to restart the installation in
    expert mode. "

    " Enter expert mode using the following boot command:
    boot: linux expert
    "

    --
    ---

  3. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    Richard Vaughn staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320. I need to make this a Linux (FC6)
    > box.

    Why limit yourself to Fedora? Google says you need a recent kernel,
    2.6.20 or so, to work around the cheap-ass SATA controller that Dull
    used in this machine. Debian Etch will work, apparently. There are
    other boot parameters that might be useful, as well as a problem with
    GRUB (use LILO instead.) Google "optiplex 320 linux".

    > I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition

    gparted >> PQMagic when it comes to dealing with partitions.

    > When I run the FC6 install, no disk is found. The disk is a 160GB
    > SATA Hitachi Deskstar 7K160. I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

    If the SATA chipset (ATI sb600 for the Optiplex 320 according to Google)
    isn't supported by the kernel, the disks won't work. The kernel
    developers need decent specs for the chipset to make it work properly.
    If there are no specs, or limited specs, the disks aren't accessible.
    Most hardware manufacturers provide enough specs to get devices working
    in at least "bonehead mode", but there are always exceptions. The
    exceptions are usually broken in other ways, and a disproportionate
    number of those exceptions are associated with large OEMs like Dull.
    ("Use the cheapest components possible!" is the battle cry of most
    bulk x86 box sellers, with obvious consequences.)

    --
    "Dreams? Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
    --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King

  4. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    > I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.
    >
    > I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    > create an ext2 disk partition.
    > I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.
    >
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."
    >
    > The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.
    >
    > I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

    This has to do with linux's handling of SATA drives. 2.4 kernels
    treated them as IDE drives, which worked, but IIRC access was slowed
    down. Modern 2.6 kernels (after about 2.6.15) treat them as scsi
    devices, and they work fine and supposedly faster than before.

    The problem is with earlier 2.6.* kernels. There are/were patches to
    enable those kernels to deal with SATA drives, but the easy answer is to
    upgrade your OS to something with a more recent kernel.

    I had this problem with debian, but that was over two years ago.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
    welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
    benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
    a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,

  5. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In linux.redhat.install Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    > I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.
    > The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.

    A Google Search for Dell Optiplex 320 Linux SATA returns lots of hits that
    sound like your problem.
    "The support for the ATI sb600 Controller was added in Linux 2.6.18."

    "
    1) Boot the install CD with pci=nomsi
    2) Install lilo instead of grub
    3) The other problem I had was, the Xorg was configuring the monitor with
    the correct horizontal sync (This may be a problem with my monitor-Dell 19
    inch analog E19FP only). I edited the Xorg config file (depends on the
    distro) and set the correct horizontal refresh and vert sync frequencies.
    "

    --
    ---

  6. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In linux.redhat David L. Johnson wrote:
    > This has to do with linux's handling of SATA drives. 2.4 kernels
    > treated them as IDE drives, which worked, but IIRC access was slowed
    > down. Modern 2.6 kernels (after about 2.6.15) treat them as scsi
    > devices, and they work fine and supposedly faster than before.

    > The problem is with earlier 2.6.* kernels. There are/were patches to
    > enable those kernels to deal with SATA drives, but the easy answer is to
    > upgrade your OS to something with a more recent kernel.

    I'm not the OP...

    With RHEL AS4, update 0, 2.6.9-5.EL, my Compaq SR1810NX ran okay.
    It has a SATA controller, but I am only using IDE disks. I don't know if
    they are driven by the same controller.
    This system won't even boot the AS4, update 4 CDROM without ide=nodma
    Linux version 2.6.9-42.EL. It panics with disk timeouts.

    With the current version, I see a new entry in dmesg that's not in the
    earlier dmesg:
    ATIIXP: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:14.1

    It's as if they added support for the SATA controller, but it doesn't work.

    --
    ---

  7. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    dold@30.usenet.us.com wrote:

    > With RHEL AS4, update 0, 2.6.9-5.EL, my Compaq SR1810NX ran okay.
    > It has a SATA controller, but I am only using IDE disks. I don't know if
    > they are driven by the same controller.

    They wouldn't be.

    > This system won't even boot the AS4, update 4 CDROM without ide=nodma
    > Linux version 2.6.9-42.EL. It panics with disk timeouts.
    >
    > With the current version, I see a new entry in dmesg that's not in the
    > earlier dmesg:
    > ATIIXP: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:14.1
    >
    > It's as if they added support for the SATA controller, but it doesn't work.

    Both of these kernels were from the time when the 2.6.* kernels would
    not boot an SATA disk without being patched. As far as I can tell, that
    message about the IDE controller does not relate to the SATA controller.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
    welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
    benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
    a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,

  8. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    You might go to the Fedora Unity web site and download the latest FC6
    that has all the updates applied. Perhaps one of the updates takes care
    of the problem.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  9. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have a new Dell Optiplex 320 that came with Windows XP pre-loaded.
    > I need to make this a Linux (FC6) box.
    >
    > I have used Partition Magic to delete the current partition and
    > create an ext2 disk partition.
    > I created it as a Primary, and made it Active.
    >
    > When I run the FC6 install, when I get to disk partitioning,
    > no disk is found. When I try to proceed, I get
    > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found
    > on which to create new file systems."
    >
    > The disk is a 160GB SATA disk, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K160.
    >
    > I see no reason why this shouldn't work.
    > (FWIW, Windows XP Pro installs just fine on the disk.)
    >
    > Thoughts/experience?
    >
    > Thanks,all
    > -Richard Vaughn

    When you boot the FC6 install type at the boot prompt:
    linux all-generic-ide

    You will need to pass that to grub as well so: (watch the line wrap)

    title Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6)
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6 ro root=/dev/hda6
    all-generic-ide

    you will need to change the hd as suited for your system

    Works for my Inspiron 1501

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  10. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    hello ,
    i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW. plz reply
    me to increase my knowledge

  11. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW.

    FC6 means "Fedora Core 6". Please see

    FWIW means "for what it's worth".

    Newgroups line trimmed; follow-ups set tl

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  12. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    In news:1174711039.743497.109350@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com,
    vishal sharma wrote:

    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW.

    FC6 = "Fedora Core 6"
    FWIW = "For What It's Worth"

  13. Re: FC6 does not find SATA disk on install

    vishal sharma a écrit :
    > hello ,
    > i m new for linux. can you tell me what is FC6 and FWIW. plz reply
    > me to increase my knowledge

    namaste vishal,

    Fc6 ek operating sistem hai | Linux hai | mujhe fwiw se google par mila
    : for what it worth, angrezi me |

    aap kahan se hai ?

+ Reply to Thread