How to configure X windows in text mode - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to configure X windows in text mode - Redhat ; Dear Experts, I have two XP/Linux dual boot machines, and a simple Dell monitor. The Linux works fine with this configuration. But recently, I finally got a cool LCD screen from Sony. I got it work on the Windows side ...

  1. How to configure X windows in text mode

    Dear Experts,

    I have two XP/Linux dual boot machines, and a simple Dell monitor.
    The Linux works fine with this configuration.

    But recently, I finally got a cool LCD screen from Sony.
    I got it work on the Windows side easily enough.

    However, when I booted to Redhat (Advanced Server 3)
    it went fine until it got to XWindows. Then, I
    got a message:

    Information
    Out of Range
    Input 2: HD15
    68.7 KHz / 85 Hz

    I connected the old CRT, and I've been looking at
    the X windows.

    There is the handy configuration tool:
    /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86

    It will probe both your video card, and your monitor,
    automatically configure them, Updating the text configuration file:
    /etc/X11/XF86Config

    Unfortunately, you have to already be in X Windows to use it!

    1)
    Is there a similar tool, that works on the command line???

    2)
    Do you think that I could just (with my old Dell monitor)
    just use the tool and set monitor to a generic CRT,
    or LCD display?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    wrote in message
    news:1173846718.364780.286110@p15g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two XP/Linux dual boot machines, and a simple Dell monitor.
    > The Linux works fine with this configuration.
    >
    > But recently, I finally got a cool LCD screen from Sony.
    > I got it work on the Windows side easily enough.
    >
    > However, when I booted to Redhat (Advanced Server 3)
    > it went fine until it got to XWindows. Then, I
    > got a message:
    >
    > Information
    > Out of Range
    > Input 2: HD15
    > 68.7 KHz / 85 Hz
    >
    > I connected the old CRT, and I've been looking at
    > the X windows.

    I had no problem when I changed from my 17" CRT to a 19" LCD screen when
    booting to runlevel 5.

    Do you have Kudzu running on boot up to detect new hardware ?

    The easiest way for you to fix your problem ( without going into too much
    detail ) is to boot into RH using the CRT and then at a terminal run the
    ntsysv command to check and select applications to run on boot , scroll down
    the list to select the application Kudzu by pressing the spacebar and then
    Tab to OK and then exit out of ntsysv.

    Shutdown RH , change monitors and re-boot the system and Kudzu should come
    up saying it has detected new hardware and will ask you to configure the new
    monitor , select the best you can from the configuration suggestions and
    then when you are able to login into XWindows go and configure the monitor
    in Display Settings for the right brand/ model.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  3. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, linuxquestion@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > I have two XP/Linux dual boot machines, and a simple Dell monitor.
    > The Linux works fine with this configuration.
    >
    > But recently, I finally got a cool LCD screen from Sony.
    > I got it work on the Windows side easily enough.
    >
    > However, when I booted to Redhat (Advanced Server 3)
    > it went fine until it got to XWindows. Then, I
    > got a message:
    >
    > Information
    > Out of Range
    > Input 2: HD15
    > 68.7 KHz / 85 Hz
    >
    > I connected the old CRT, and I've been looking at
    > the X windows.
    >

    > There is the handy configuration tool:
    > /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
    >

    > It will probe both your video card, and your monitor,
    > automatically configure them, Updating the text configuration file:
    > /etc/X11/XF86Config
    >

    > Unfortunately, you have to already be in X Windows to use it!
    >

    > 1)
    > Is there a similar tool, that works on the command line???

    xf86config

    > 2)
    > Do you think that I could just (with my old Dell monitor)
    > just use the tool and set monitor to a generic CRT,
    > or LCD display?

    A standard VGA 640x480 8bpp will work with almost everything. After
    setting that up you could use a GUI tool to configure if you really wanted
    to.

    Try this in your XF86Config file:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Dell"
    HorizSync 31.5
    VertRefresh 50-70
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Standard VGA"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    BoardName "Unknown"
    Driver "vga"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "My Video Card"
    Driver "vga"
    EndSection
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "My Video Card"
    Monitor "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 8

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "640x480" "800x600"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "640x400"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    That should get your GUI up and running and from their you can config in a
    more "user friendly" manner.

    --Sir Jackery

  4. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    Hi all,

    Thanks for your help.

    Ok, I got it to work. This is what I did.

    Check the owner's manual for the refresh
    rates. Turns out that it was only the
    vertical that was out of range.

    Use the old CRT monitor, change
    the Monitor section in the file:
    /etc/X11/XF86Config

    from:
    vert Refresh 50 - 160.0
    to:
    vert Refresh 50 - 70.0

    Also changed the startup to go to init 3,
    not init 5.

    It booted to init 3. I gave the command: init 5
    And it worked fine. In the sense that gui came up.

    However, talk about one problem after another!

    Now, some things don't work on the Linux gui.

    1)
    The machine won't shut down when I tell it to shut down.
    It just goes back to the init 5 gui login screen.
    I have to use shutdown commands at the prompt to
    shut the machine down.

    2)
    The gui to configure the video card,
    /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
    does not work now!

    3)
    It is actually a link to the console program, and of the
    few things I tried, nothing in console works now!!!

    Go figure!!!

    -------------

    On my second machine, I used the CRT monitor to
    change the file. Reboot with the CRT monitor.
    Comes up Fine.

    Change to the LCD monitor. The gui came up fine.
    And I could use the gui forthe display config.

    It shuts down normally.

    -------------

    BTW, kudzu was already installed. It does detect new
    hardware. But not monitors.

    -------------

    Two full evenings of work! Man, what a waste of time!

    And I still haven't mentioned the other problems I have on
    Windows side. More surprises there too.

  5. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    linuxquestion@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Also changed the startup to go to init 3,
    > not init 5.

    That's a good start.

    > It booted to init 3. I gave the command: init 5
    > And it worked fine. In the sense that gui came up.

    Why? Try:
    startx

    When you want to exit X, Actions->Logout will return you to the command
    line.

  6. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    wrote in message
    news:1173922270.393836.264800@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Ok, I got it to work. This is what I did.
    >

    > Now, some things don't work on the Linux gui.
    >
    > 1)
    > The machine won't shut down when I tell it to shut down.
    > It just goes back to the init 5 gui login screen.
    > I have to use shutdown commands at the prompt to
    > shut the machine down.

    That is normal procedure , not because of something wrong with your system.

    To be able to boot into runlevel 3 and then into the GUI , and then back to
    runlevel 3 , instead of using init 5 , use startx for gnome or kdm for KDE.
    Or at the login screen , you can press [Alt-Control-F1] to get to the text
    mode login and to get back to the login screen aqfter logging out , press
    [Alt-Control-F7]
    ( this is a virtual console that is still in runlevel 5 , at anytime at a
    command prompt , type runlevel to check what run level you are in )

    > 2)
    > The gui to configure the video card,
    > /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
    > does not work now!

    It won't work if you are running runlevel 3 and textmode , if you do what I
    have said for (1) to get to a virtual console , then you will be able to run
    it.
    Have you tried to use the "Display" facility from the menu in to configure
    the video card , it should list all the video cards.
    Also what type of video card do you have ?

    > 3)
    > It is actually a link to the console program, and of the
    > few things I tried, nothing in console works now!!!
    >
    > Go figure!!!

    That's probably because the video card is not configured properly and you
    are running an incorrect video driver.
    Post the type of video card that you have and also the output of the section
    "Device" for the video card from the config file in /etc/X11/XF86Config

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  7. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    > > 2)
    > > The gui to configure the video card,
    > > /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
    > > does not work now!

    > It won't work if you are running runlevel 3 and textmode , if you do what I
    > have said for (1) to get to a virtual console , then you will be able to run
    > it.
    > Have you tried to use the "Display" facility from the menu in to configure
    > the video card , it should list all the video cards.
    > Also what type of video card do you have ?

    Thanks, but you misunderstood completely.

    All the new symptoms apply when it is already in full gui/init 5 mode.

    Try reading it again.

  8. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    wrote in message
    news:1174021786.440083.130640@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...

    >> > 2)
    >> > The gui to configure the video card,
    >> > /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
    >> > does not work now!

    >> It won't work if you are running runlevel 3 and textmode , if you do what
    >> have said for (1) to get to a virtual console , then you will be able to
    >> run
    >> it.
    >> Have you tried to use the "Display" facility from the menu in to
    >> configure
    >> the video card , it should list all the video cards.
    >> Also what type of video card do you have ?
    >>

    > Thanks, but you misunderstood completely.
    >
    > All the new symptoms apply when it is already in full gui/init 5 mode.

    If you can get the runlevel 5 login screen , then you can also get into the
    Display to configure the video card.
    Hit [Alt-Control-F1] , login in as root and then type redhat-config-xfree86
    ( or is it redhat-config-display ?) and the Display config utility should
    come up by itself in the existing runlevel 5 environment , you won't be
    running the full GUI , just the Display utility.

    Or if you want , you can change the session on the login screen to Failsafe
    Terminal , login in and then issue the Display config utility command.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  9. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    OK ladies and gentleman, I have overcome the GUI issues!

    The second symptom (as I've stated twice now) was that, in init 5, I
    could not use the display configuration utility.

    In the gui, I also could not shut the machine down!!! Useless.

    (So, telling me to use the display configuration utility, when it
    doesn't work, and I'm in fact asking, how do I fix it, does not help
    me.)

    This is what I did to correct the GUI issues.
    I'm putting this on the web in case anyone else gets the same
    symptoms.

    -----------

    file /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86

    /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86: symbolic link to consolehelper

    which consolehelper
    /usr/bin/consolehelper

    file /usr/bin/consolehelper
    /usr/bin/consolehelper: empty

    pwd
    /usr/bin

    ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 14 01:35 consolehelper
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 25148 Sep 25 2003 consolehelper-
    gtk

    -----------

    I believe that when I tried to run the command in init 3,
    and it didn't work, the file got screwed up and
    set to null.

    -----------

    Research this file. It is part of usermode.

    -----------
    What package owns this file?

    rpm -qf /usr/bin/consolehelper
    usermode-1.68-5

    -----------

    rpm -qa | grep -i usermode
    usermode-1.68-5
    usermode-gtk-1.68-5

    man usermode
    No manual entry for usermode

    apropos usermode
    usermode: nothing appropriate

    ----------

    rpm -ql usermode
    - what files are included in the package?

    /etc/pam.d/halt
    /etc/pam.d/poweroff
    /etc/pam.d/reboot
    /etc/security/console.apps/halt
    /etc/security/console.apps/poweroff
    /etc/security/console.apps/reboot
    /usr/bin/consolehelper
    /usr/bin/halt
    /usr/bin/poweroff <- which explains why I can't shutdown.
    /usr/bin/reboot
    etc

    -----------

    Try to reinstall the RPM usermode

    go to init 3

    rpm -ivh /opt/redhat/RPMS/usermode-1.68-5.i386.rpm
    - already installed.

    Try to uninstall/remove it.
    But I get a LOT of messages saying that it is required
    by many other packages.

    ls -l /usr/bin/consolehelper
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 14 01:35 /usr/bin/
    consolehelper

    -----------

    Copy the file from my other dual boot computer.

    ls -l /mnt/floppy/dell4550
    total 4
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3664 Mar 16 14:56 consolehelper

    cp /mnt/floppy/dell4550/consolehelper /usr/bin/consolehelper
    cp: overwrite `/usr/bin/consolehelper'? y

    ls -l /usr/bin/consolehelper
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3664 Mar 16 14:58 /usr/bin/
    consolehelper

    Reboot.

    Works!

    About time!

    -----------

    Had I not had the file on the other computer, does anyone have any
    ideas as to how I could have solved this?

    Does RPM have a reinstall option?

    Would force option be ok to use?

  10. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

> [...]
    > by many other packages.
    >

    > ls -l /usr/bin/consolehelper
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 14 01:35 /usr/bin/
    > consolehelper
    >
    > -----------
    >

    > Copy the file from my other dual boot computer.
    >

    > ls -l /mnt/floppy/dell4550
    > total 4
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3664 Mar 16 14:56 consolehelper
    >
    > cp /mnt/floppy/dell4550/consolehelper /usr/bin/consolehelper
    > cp: overwrite `/usr/bin/consolehelper'? y
    >
    > ls -l /usr/bin/consolehelper
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3664 Mar 16 14:58 /usr/bin/
    > consolehelper
    >

    > Reboot.
    >
    > Works!
    >
    > About time!
    >
    > -----------
    >

    > Had I not had the file on the other computer, does anyone have any
    > ideas as to how I could have solved this?

    Might you try Alt-F1 and use the txt mode interface?

  11. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    > wrote
    > > Dear Experts,
    > >
    > > I have two XP/Linux dual boot machines, and a simple Dell monitor.
    > > The Linux works fine with this configuration.
    > >
    > > But recently, I finally got a cool LCD screen from Sony.
    > > I got it work on the Windows side easily enough.
    > >
    > > However, when I booted to Redhat (Advanced Server 3)
    > > it went fine until it got to XWindows. Then, I
    > > got a message:
    > >
    > > Information
    > > Out of Range
    > > Input 2: HD15
    > > 68.7 KHz / 85 Hz
    > >
    > > I connected the old CRT, and I've been looking at
    > > the X windows.

    Some LCD screens have more flexibility than others on what
    settings they can handle. A little known feature or X is changing
    the current resolution with control-alt-+ or control-alt--
    {Where + and - have to be the ones on the numeric keypad, if
    memory serves} This cycles through the short list of favorite settings
    your prior setup hopefully provided.

    If all else fails, control-alt-F1 {F1 key is near top left part of QWERTY part of
    keyboard} {Oh! did I mention you may have to be using the LEFT side control-alt
    keys on your keyboard for all this?} should get you to a text-mode screen, not graphics
    mode, {reverse this by doing control-alt-F7 or F8 or F9 or whatever}, and
    init 3 takes you down to textonly mode, no graphics, until you reboot or change it
    back
    with init 5 which is regular X.

    If all else _still_ fails, then control-alt-delete {Use delete key on querty keyboard
    this time,
    do not choose the del/. key on the numeric keypad} will do a graceful shutdown. I forget
    if
    it then boots back up, so be ready at the power-off switch when you see the motherboard
    bios messages coming back up if you'd wanted to stay down.

    I'm shooting from the hip on all this -- I almost never use X. But I've often gotten this
    message
    from a new/loaner LCD screen, even using them for stock microsoft windows.

  12. Re: How to configure X windows in text mode

    # xf86config

+ Reply to Thread