What has happened to Redhat? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What has happened to Redhat? - Redhat ; Been away from it for about 4-5 years and noticed they seemed to have really gone downhill as far as usability is concerned. Installing new RH E 4 systems to replace old (but good) RH 7 servers, trying to get ...

  1. What has happened to Redhat?

    Been away from it for about 4-5 years and noticed they seemed to have
    really gone downhill as far as usability is concerned. Installing new
    RH E 4 systems to replace old (but good) RH 7 servers, trying to get
    sendmail and imap to work via ssl ..the included instructions are very
    easy but of course they don't work so trying to remove rpms and start
    over from scratch. It's then I find there is no longer a working rpm
    manager included anymore. Command line or via their network to remove.
    And so far that has not worked as removal via network is apparently
    queued and It just won't remove the apps NOW. Ok I am edu so we get
    the discount price but why has the usability gone down now that they
    are charging for it? Any recommendations for a distribution that is
    good for production environment? It looks like Redhat is aiming for
    hobby market now yet wanting a production price

    thanks, Fletch

  2. Re: What has happened to Redhat?

    wrote in message
    news:1173467340.739097.249000@n33g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Been away from it for about 4-5 years and noticed they seemed to have
    > really gone downhill as far as usability is concerned. Installing new
    > RH E 4 systems to replace old (but good) RH 7 servers, trying to get
    > sendmail and imap to work via ssl ..the included instructions are very
    > easy but of course they don't work so trying to remove rpms and start
    > over from scratch. It's then I find there is no longer a working rpm
    > manager included anymore. Command line or via their network to remove.
    > And so far that has not worked as removal via network is apparently
    > queued and It just won't remove the apps NOW. Ok I am edu so we get
    > the discount price but why has the usability gone down now that they
    > are charging for it? Any recommendations for a distribution that is
    > good for production environment? It looks like Redhat is aiming for
    > hobby market now yet wanting a production price

    There is nothing wrong with RHEL 4 , it's just that you haven't taken the
    time to read up on it , a lot has change with Linux since RH 7.
    RPMs are still the main package manager in RH and the other RH type distros
    like CentOS and Fedora Core also has Yum ( using RPMs)

    On the contrary , RH is aimed at the corporate sector , that is why you have
    to pay for it , on the other hand , the testing of RH Linux is done using
    Fedora Core which is eventually is incorporated into RH enterprise versions
    when it is found to be stable.

    The unbranded RH enterprise is released as CentOS and is quite good and
    stable .

    Here is a web page that lists all the distros and there packages.

    http://distrowatch.com/

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  3. Re: What has happened to Redhat?

    "Sandgroper" wrote
    > wrote
    > > Been away from it for about 4-5 years and noticed they seemed to have
    > > really gone downhill as far as usability is concerned. Installing new
    > > RH E 4 systems to replace old (but good) RH 7 servers, trying to get
    > > sendmail and imap to work via ssl ..the included instructions are very
    > > easy but of course they don't work so trying to remove rpms and start
    > > over from scratch. It's then I find there is no longer a working rpm
    > > manager included anymore. Command line or via their network to remove.
    > > And so far that has not worked as removal via network is apparently
    > > queued and It just won't remove the apps NOW. Ok I am edu so we get
    > > the discount price but why has the usability gone down now that they
    > > are charging for it? Any recommendations for a distribution that is
    > > good for production environment? It looks like Redhat is aiming for
    > > hobby market now yet wanting a production price

    > There is nothing wrong with RHEL 4 , it's just that you haven't taken the
    > time to read up on it , a lot has change with Linux since RH 7.
    > RPMs are still the main package manager in RH and the other RH type distros
    > like CentOS and Fedora Core also has Yum ( using RPMs)
    >
    > On the contrary , RH is aimed at the corporate sector , that is why you have
    > to pay for it , on the other hand , the testing of RH Linux is done using
    > Fedora Core which is eventually is incorporated into RH enterprise versions
    > when it is found to be stable.
    >
    > The unbranded RH enterprise is released as CentOS and is quite good and
    > stable .
    >

    > Here is a web page that lists all the distros and their packages.
    >
    > http://distrowatch.com/
    >
    > Sandgroper

    I'd even {weakly} argue for sticking with rhel3 instead of rhel4; mainly
    'cause I prefer to rip out cups {except leave in cups libraries package} and
    instead use LPRng printer package. Umm, I don't use X, and never send
    printer jobs from winboxes into samba on rhel, so I can afford to humor my
    nostalgia for a bone-simple, text-administered printing subsystem. By the way,
    I have to do cups-enable fooprinter on my rhel4 boxes after my lpr/lpd ethernet-to-parallel printer adapter enabled laserjet printer> runs out
    of paper... Was agony until I puzzled that out.

    Oh, and if you need an obscure old kernel module like aha152x {drives an old
    isa 1505 scsi tape controller card at our shop} that's only provided as source
    in rhel3/rhel4, you'll need to relink the kernel modules, and it turns out that is
    __way__ simpler in rhel3 than rhel4. I think you have to go grab the kernel
    source package off the source code disks in either release, unlike in say rh9
    when you'd get it from the {3? 4?} main installation disks. Another old kernel
    module supports discarded DPT scsi cards. EATA or some such, I think...

  4. Re: What has happened to Redhat?

    Hello again,
    Well I need something that is easy to admin for Win admins..ie GUI
    packages. I was able to use command line rpm to remove and reinstall
    (and that has fixed the problem) but I am not talking about me but
    rather my staff. There used to be nice utils like kpackage but that is
    apparently gone. The add/remove routine they added bombs out when you
    try to remove packages and I went to redhat's site and they basically
    said once you start applying patches it will not work anymore and you
    must use up2date or their web admin. Couldn't see how to do with
    up2date (as it only wants to add, not remove) and the web admin
    probably works but it makes you wait an hour or 2 before it will
    remove the rpm and that is not reasonable. By removing dependencies
    via the command line I could then fool the add/remove into removing
    some stuff. But you shouldn't have to do that for something made for
    the professional environment. For hobby servers, that is fine but not
    for commercial based software running in the windows workplace.

    Personally I use both cl and gui but I have to make sure my staff can
    fix/repair etc when I am gone (which is much of the time this past
    year as I am a student as well).

    This new server will be run under vmware so they can just drop in an
    image into a new host if needed. Well that is the idea, we will see
    how well that works.

    regards,
    Fletch

    On Mar 9, 10:31 pm, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1173467340.739097.249000@n33g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Been away from it for about 4-5 years and noticed they seemed to have
    > > really gone downhill as far as usability is concerned. Installing new
    > > RH E 4 systems to replace old (but good) RH 7 servers, trying to get
    > > sendmail and imap to work via ssl ..the included instructions are very
    > > easy but of course they don't work so trying to remove rpms and start
    > > over from scratch. It's then I find there is no longer a working rpm
    > > manager included anymore. Command line or via their network to remove.
    > > And so far that has not worked as removal via network is apparently
    > > queued and It just won't remove the apps NOW. Ok I am edu so we get
    > > the discount price but why has the usability gone down now that they
    > > are charging for it? Any recommendations for a distribution that is
    > > good for production environment? It looks like Redhat is aiming for
    > > hobby market now yet wanting a production price

    > There is nothing wrong with RHEL 4 , it's just that you haven't taken the
    > time to read up on it , a lot has change with Linux since RH 7.
    > RPMs are still the main package manager in RH and the other RH type distros
    > like CentOS and Fedora Core also has Yum ( using RPMs)
    >
    > On the contrary , RH is aimed at the corporate sector , that is why you have
    > to pay for it , on the other hand , the testing of RH Linux is done using
    > Fedora Core which is eventually is incorporated into RH enterprise versions
    > when it is found to be stable.
    >
    > The unbranded RH enterprise is released as CentOS and is quite good and
    > stable .
    >
    > Here is a web page that lists all the distros and there packages.
    >
    > http://distrowatch.com/
    >
    > --
    > True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.
    >
    > Sandgroper
    > ------------------------------------
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steve...@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: What has happened to Redhat?

    > Oh, and if you need an obscure old kernel module like aha152x {drives an old
    > isa 1505 scsi tape controller card at our shop} that's only provided as source
    > in rhel3/rhel4, you'll need to relink the kernel modules, and it turns out that is
    > __way__ simpler in rhel3 than rhel4. I think you have to go grab the kernel
    > source package off the source code disks in either release, unlike in say rh9
    > when you'd get it from the {3? 4?} main installation disks. Another old kernel
    > module supports discarded DPT scsi cards. EATA or some such, I think...

    The inability of using the AHA-1542 adapter since RH7, made me switch
    from RH6.2 to Slackware for my file/printerserver when RH6.2 wasn't
    updated anymore. It's still running...

+ Reply to Thread